Graham_S

Prince

695 posts in this topic

Also, for those who were at the Hop Farm gig, there's a 2 DVD torrent of a fan shot HD cam up on demonoid at the moment

Fantastic pics, LDA. I actually missed the purple rain bit, I was gone to the jacks. Raging.

Purple hippies, there's a Prince documentary on BBC Four from 9 o'clock tonight followed by Purple Rain.

Grace Dent gave it a great review in Saturday's garden.

I'm going to see Purple Rain at the cinema tomorrow!

Enjoyed the doc although it was extremely light, reminded me of one of those VHI Behind The Music programmes.

Still, it's got me listening to Prince for the first time in a while and finlly wading through Crystal Ball onwards and a lot of the stuff he released as internet only. Some interesting stuff for sure!

The missus got me a framed picture of His Royal Badness with the purple rain paper that rained down on us when we saw him at Hop Farm glued to it, as well as our festival bracelets. Merry Christmas, purple hippies!

I read somewhere that Prince was supposed to be playing in Dublin again this summer, I was certain it was an Irish promoter had announced it but I can't find any record of it now :(

Dam Funk has made a Prince mix to mark issue #50 of Wax Poetics magazine:

http://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/dj-mix/a-prince-mix-by-dam-funk

Track List

1. Prince & the Revolution – 17 Days (original version)

2. DāM-FunK – 17 Days (D-F Re-Freak)

3. Prince – Irresistible Bitch (Props Re-Edit)

4. Prince (featuring Andre Cymone & Pepe Willie) – One Man Jam

5. Prince – Wet Dream Cousin

6. Prince – Dirty Mind (1981 Live Version)

7. Prince – Soft & Wet (original version)

8. Prince – Ballad Of Dorothy Parker (D-F Extended Re-Edit)

9. Prince – Sticky Like Glue (Props Re-Edit)

10. Prince & the Revolution – All My Dreams

Aw man, cheers for that. Bagged myself one of these a few months back since I love the both of them so much:

e9bee7a4de19d047759411578af58f4e.jpg

What a treasure trove! Amazing. The 'I Would Die 4 U / Baby I'm a Star' video is someone who's at the absolute height of their powers. Prince ripping the splits with Doctor Fink letting fly in the background in scrubs is about as good as life gets.

What a treasure trove! Amazing. The 'I Would Die 4 U / Baby I'm a Star' video is someone who's at the absolute height of their powers. Prince ripping the splits with Doctor Fink letting fly in the background in scrubs is about as good as life gets.

It's just pure awesome, my favourite is DMSR. Picked up the Wax Poetics mag today as well. so I'm in Prince heaven...

Yeah, that concert is terrific, thanks for posting that. As well as Baby I'm a Star and DMSR, which are just great, I rather like the organ stabs on Computer Blue too.

Dam Funk has made a Prince mix to mark issue #50 of Wax Poetics magazine:

http://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/dj-mix/a-prince-mix-by-dam-funk

And another

http://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/dj-mix/“minneapolis-special”

Inspired by Wax Poetics Issue 50, Citinite has created the “Minneapolis Special” mix of Prince & Co., originally broadcast on NTS Radio.

Track List

Prince “Rebirth of the Flesh” (unreleased) 1986

Prince “Baby Go-Go” (unreleased) 1986

Mazarati “100 MPH (version)” (unreleased) 1984

Wendy & Lisa “Honeymoon Express (Honeymoon instrumental)” (Columbia) 1988

André Cymone “The Dance Electric” (CBS) 1985

Alexander O’Neal “Fake (extended version)” (Tabu) 1987

Change “Change of Heart” (WEA) 1984

The Family “Mutiny” (Paisley Park) 1985

Jesse Johnson’s Revue “Just Too Much” (A&M) 1985

The Time “I Don’t Wanna Leave You” (Warner Bros.) 1982

Bill Blow “Drop Funkin’” (Wide Angle) 1984

Ta Mara & the Seen “You Turn Me Up” (Hot Tracks) 1986

Mazarati “Champagne Saturday” (Paisley Park) 1986

The Girls “S-E-S-E-X (instrumental)” (Columbia) 1984

Sheila E. “A Love Bizarre (Parts I & II)” (Paisley Park) 1985

Prince & the Revolution “All My Dreams” (unreleased) 1985

Apollonia 6 “Sex Shooter (extended version)” (Warner Bros.) 1984

Prince “All Day, All Night” (unreleased) 1984

Prince & the Revolution “Computer Blue (long version)” (unreleased) 1983

Prince & the Revolution “Possessed” (unreleased) 1983

Dez Dickerson “Modernaire” (Citinite) 2008

Sheila E. “Too Sexy” (Warner Bros.) 1984

Has anyone read Matt Thorne's recent Prince biography? I'm enjoying it for the most part but the constant track-by-track breakdown grows really tiresome around the halfway mark, but the writing's a little more varied either side of that. It's certainly opened my eyes to a raft of Prince material I'd never heard about previously.

I wanted to read it then read the reviews and it sounded awful; really laboured. Fair play for wading through it.

Prince absolutely killed it on “Jimmy Fallon” Friday night, playing his new tune “Screwdriver” and the classic “Bambi.”

After Unleashing a blistering solo on Bambi he did a guitar virtuoso’s version of dropping the mic before walking off stage, throwing his guitar up into the air and letting it crash to the ground. Just one problem: the axe wasn’t his. The Gear Page points out the guitar was a gorgeous 1961 Epiphone Crestwood that belongs to Captian Kirk Douglas of Fallon’s house band The Roots. Apparently when Prince arrived for rehearsal he admired the guitar and asked to borrow it for the performance. Douglas agreed, and then Prince wrecked it at the end of “Bambi.” Douglas tweeted out this picture with the caption “Purple Pain”:

BEUFrmyCYAAW1Vu.jpeg

pg2a.gif

Haven't seen the video of this before, and it's just great: Prince's first public performance of Purple Rain and the debut of the Revolution line-up. The recording (with a couple of edits and a few minor overdubs) is the one that's then used on the film and record.

http://www.cocoelectrik.co.uk/2012/02/prince-original-live-recording-of-purple-rain-first-avenue-1983/

Also, a member of Prince's entourage / his new band / perhaps occassionally Prince is tweeting as @3rdeyegirl.

Gobsmacking! Imagine hearing the intro chords to Purple Rain, and having no idea what the song is. Seems impossible to conceive of.

I didn't realise that Purple Rain was an actual live recording. The clarity of sound on that video for 30 years old is fantastic.

For a long time I thought that the live songs were all recorded in the First Avenue performance you see in the movie!