Prince - 21 Nights in London

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#61 Marzipan Travolta

Marzipan Travolta
  • Supporters
  • 9817 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

Write-ups of the shows that have been on there so far have been very positive.

#62 olliey

olliey
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:01 PM

Just got tickets through ticketmaster for row c of the lower tier. YESSSSSSS.

#63 larrydavidsanger

larrydavidsanger
  • Members
  • 7387 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

My mate has been given 2 tickets by his parents for doing well in his uni exams and he's taking me!

20th of september here we come.

What's the word on the dome as a concert venue? Prince is one of the few artists who could fill somewhere that big but I would be nice to know that i'm going to be able to see and hear him.

20th Sept for me too! My girlfriend's sister couldn't use them so she gave them to us :lol:

#64 LittleJoe

LittleJoe
  • Members
  • 9106 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

I just got a email through ticketmaster with tickets from a new date (24th August). Seemingly on the ticketmaster site I can still buy tickets from the initially annouced dates? Whats that all about im utterly confused I thought it was all sold out?

I may go on my larry as im really starting to get into him and he looks amazing live.

Well I got a ticket for the 1st of August. I noticed all the tickets were for Block 102 so im guessing it was going to be a VIP area or somthing but they couldnt sell any so they opened it up to Joe Public. Just a heads up if anyone was left empty handed.

Total impulse buy, Im quited excited though! I'll have to listen to him religiously for the next 10 days.

#65 furq

furq
  • Members
  • 2333 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

I have SIX tickets available for Sunday 16 September available at COST PRICE (35 each) if anyone here wants? (Can buy all, or in pairs)

They're in block 103, as shown here - guaranteed great view (btw, you REALLY don't want to be in 4xx at O2).

Posted Image

Was going to go between wedding and honeymoon, but my fiancee has talked me out of it!

Will leave on sale on here for a week before going to eBay, so if anyone wants to organise a RLLMUK mini get-together, you can.

#66 larrydavidsanger

larrydavidsanger
  • Members
  • 7387 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

I have SIX tickets available for Sunday 16 September available at COST PRICE (35 each) if anyone here wants? (Can buy all, or in pairs)

They're in block 103, as shown here - guaranteed great view (btw, you REALLY don't want to be in 4xx at O2).

Posted Image

Was going to go between wedding and honeymoon, but my fiancee has talked me out of it!

Will leave on sale on here for a week before going to eBay, so if anyone wants to organise a RLLMUK mini get-together, you can.

I might take 2, I'll get back to you on it... no interest shown

#67 StephenM

StephenM
  • Members
  • 2592 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

furq, I would totally take two at cost price!

Going to see John Mayer the next day at the Royal Albert Hall. This could turn out to be SUCH an awesome weekend!

#68 furq

furq
  • Members
  • 2333 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

Anyone who wants, please PM me.

#69 Graham_S

Graham_S
  • Tech Team
  • 29072 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

Tonight's the opening night. Excited.

Ticketmaster is selling floor seats for tonight at the standard price. Hopefully they'll be doing this throughout the run, I might go a few more times if it's good.

#70 Twinbee

Twinbee
  • Members
  • 4047 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

I'm taking the missus on 1st September as a birthday present. Only managed to get tickets for block 402, and looking at that map, it would suggest they're possibly the worst in the house :lol: :P ;)

Anyone been in seats like that who know how shit it actually is?

#71 Graham_S

Graham_S
  • Tech Team
  • 29072 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

People have said generally good things about the O2, even in the crappy seats. If I remember, I'll have a look tonight.

#72 Twinbee

Twinbee
  • Members
  • 4047 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

People have said generally good things about the O2, even in the crappy seats. If I remember, I'll have a look tonight.

That'd be much appreciated - just don't want to end up massively disappointed - we're travelling down from Yorkshire, and it's our last weekend away before we have a baby (in December), so really hoping for a good gig.

I'm glad the stage is in the centre - that's very encouraging.

Have a good gig tonight anyway :lol:

#73 LittleJoe

LittleJoe
  • Members
  • 9106 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:30 PM

Wow.

#74 Graham_S

Graham_S
  • Tech Team
  • 29072 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:37 PM

Well, that was good.

The arena is really nice. The in the round set-up means it feels really intimate, especially on level 1. Big comfy seats, good sightlines. Twinbee and his missus should be fine up in the gods, and there are big screens suspended from the roof. Doors open at 6pm, no support, Prince onstage at 8:30pm. The restaturants and bars in the Dome get pretty busy, so you could easily choose to eat in town / Canary Wharf and stroll in just before Prince comes on. The best block to be in is probably 111: he spent a lot of time on that side of the stage.

*updated*
Purple Rain
Girls & Boys (with DMSR)
Satisfied
Cream
U Got The Look
Shhh
Musicology ("Funky London")
Controversy
I Feel For You
What A Wonderful World
Somewhere Here On Earth
Lolita
Black Sweat
Kiss
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Pink Cashmere (with 'The One U Wanna C' mixed in)
Come Together (Beatles)
Take Me With U
Guitar
Planet Earth
Crazy (Gnarls Barkley with 'One Nation Under a Groove' by Funkadelic mixed in)
Nothing Compares 2 U
Let's Go Crazy
Little Red Corvette
Raspberry Beret
Sometimes It Snows in April
Get On The Boat
Le Freak (Chic)
A Love Bizarre

And it was all very exciting. Big raised Prince symbol for a stage. Bringing out the hits right from the start. He was boasting and teasing us about how many of them he had to play. Hot twin dancers (at one point they were gliding across the stage, wearing nighties, on heelies with flashing lights). A few more singers and dancers, good horn section. Sometimes some very excited members of the public got onto the stage. It was all pretty much what I wanted / expected from a Prince show. No basketball hoops, beds or Ford Thunderbirds on stage this time, it's all quite stripped down. He's getting on a bit now, so he doesn't work up quite so much of a black sweat as he used to, but he's still worth watching. He's looking pretty good.

The main disappointment for me was that the sound in my seat wasn't very good. I don't think I had any big speakers pointed at me, so although it was loud it wasn't as clear as I'd might hope. I don't think this would be a general problem, I was probably just unlucky. So as the show went on, my excitement dipped a little, and I felt slightly disconnected from the music like you sometimes do at arena shows.

But it all made up for it by the end. After a fairly perfunctory Let's Go Crazy as seemingly the last of a few encores, the house lights came up and we started queuing for the exits. About five minutes later, just as I was about to reach the doors, there's a big commotion, and the little guy is walking through the crowd, surrounded by security. After a bit of kerfuffle, he gets up on stage, on his own, with the house lights up and a half-empty arena, and calls for a guitar. It takes a matter of moments before I'm over the barrier and right by the stage. It's brilliant. Our own little aftershow. He does, IIRC, Little Red Corvette / Raspberry Beret / Sometimes it Snows in April before disappearing down his little stage elevator again. And then he comes back AGAIN, this time with everyone else, and does a few more songs (I recall Chic's Le Freak). And then he goes, on the dot of 11. A terrific bit of showmanship. The tannoy has to resort to "Elvis has left the building" style announcements to persuade us to leave this time.

#75 LittleJoe

LittleJoe
  • Members
  • 9106 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

Well, that was good.

I had the same problems with the sound, except I gradually felt more 'connected' to the sound as it whent on it was the first 30 mins - hour that the sound was a bit iffy for me. Too echoey.

I think im gonna get tickets for another date, that was too good. Too many encores! I thought Lets go crazy was after he marched through the crowd escourted by his body guards?

#76 Graham_S

Graham_S
  • Tech Team
  • 29072 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:51 PM

More tickets available on ticketmaster. I've just got an excellent seat for Friday, 5 rows back in Block 102, which I reckon is pretty good. It was tempting to hold off to see if they have some floor seats on the day, but near the front of 111/102 is almost as good, you just don't get quite as much freedom of movement. Weird that the best seats are only turning up at the last minute. I guess they couldn't find enough rich suckers to auction them to.

#77 Graham_S

Graham_S
  • Tech Team
  • 29072 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:53 PM

I had the same problems with the sound, except I gradually felt more 'connected' to the sound as it whent on it was the first 30 mins - hour that the sound was a bit iffy for me. Too echoey.

Fingers crossed it's just teething problems. The bloke behind me was moaning, and he said there was no problem with the sound at the O2 for the Scissor Sisters last week, so it's presumably not the venue. Hopefully they can tweak some knobs to sort it out.

#78 LittleJoe

LittleJoe
  • Members
  • 9106 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:04 AM

More tickets available on ticketmaster. I've just got an excellent seat for Friday, 5 rows back in Block 102, which I reckon is pretty good. It was tempting to hold off to see if they have some floor seats on the day, but near the front of 111/102 is almost as good, you just don't get quite as much freedom of movement. Weird that the best seats are only turning up at the last minute. I guess they couldn't find enough rich suckers to auction them to.

I was 102 today! I think I'd rather be lower tier than on the floor, the stage is a bit too high for me to want to be on the floor like that. The seats don't have a lot of leg or arm room do they, not that it matters i was standing for all of it.

Just bought tickets for Friday Block 102 again!

When Doves Cry and Chelsea Rodgers this time please!

EDIT: Hmm the printed off tickets wont look so attractive on my ticket wall as the 'proper ones' meh.

#79 michaelemm

michaelemm
  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:33 AM

Last night was great, i took 7 friends who had either never seen prince live, or weren't really bothered by his tunes- and they were all totally blown away. Huzzah!

Also, the sound was a bit sub-bass heavy, we were in block 110 level 1. We got used to it after a while, i just hope they tweak it for the next 20 nights. Terrific view of the amaze-oh stage though.

#80 Twinbee

Twinbee
  • Members
  • 4047 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:03 AM

Oooh, this is all very encouraging. Sounds like an amazing setlist, too, although I'm worried that by the time it gets to 1st September, he'll be bored by all that, and we'll get a 2 hour Funk Odysee ^_^

Either way, thanks for looking out for my block, Graham. Glad it was a night to remember.

EDIT: Hmm, just looked at the Ticketmaster site for the date we're going, and I tickets are maddeningly available for Block 112. Would anyone suggest it's worth getting them, and trying to flog my block 402 ones on eBay?

#81 iloverage

iloverage
  • Members
  • 14862 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

Sounds good! Roll on the 14th!

#82 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23724 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

Sounds good! Roll on the 14th!

Yo! That's when I'm going, courtesy of our man Graham S's ticket that he sold me. I'm in BK 101, row S, seat 44. GIMME A WAVE.

#83 iloverage

iloverage
  • Members
  • 14862 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

Yo! That's when I'm going, courtesy of our man Graham S's ticket that he sold me. I'm in BK 101, row S, seat 44. GIMME A WAVE.

Safe. I'm not sure where I am. I'll have to phone my mate tonight.

#84 Twinbee

Twinbee
  • Members
  • 4047 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:58 AM

Looking at some pics on Flickr of the arena, it does look pretty well laid out, even if you're up in the gods. This picture for example looks like it'll be about where I'm sat, and considering the stage is in the middle, that's looking quite good.

Only two pics of last night's Prince show so far, here. Looking rather nice.

#85 iloverage

iloverage
  • Members
  • 14862 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

Looks dope! Aww man I hope he hasn't worn out his funky self by the time I see him. I'd like to think that man can groove till the next millennia.

#86 Graham_S

Graham_S
  • Tech Team
  • 29072 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

EDIT: Hmm, just looked at the Ticketmaster site for the date we're going, and I tickets are maddeningly available for Block 112. Would anyone suggest it's worth getting them, and trying to flog my block 402 ones on eBay?

I'd be tempted to do that, especially if they're within spitting distance of the front (rows are numbered alphabetically front to back). I'm not sure you'll get much on ebay for a gods ticket now it's clear that the shows aren't sell-outs and better ones are available from ticketmaster. I''m sure other people will be doing the same. I could see people in the gods perfectly well, so you're not miles away from the action, but a good level 1 seat has an excellent close-up view. Up to you!

#87 Graham_S

Graham_S
  • Tech Team
  • 29072 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

Only two pics of last night's Prince show so far, here. Looking rather nice.

Lots of signs threatening you'd be thrown out if you took photos. "This show is for your memories" according to Prince.

#88 Twinbee

Twinbee
  • Members
  • 4047 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

I'd be tempted to do that, especially if they're within spitting distance of the front (rows are numbered alphabetically front to back). I'm not sure you'll get much on ebay for a gods ticket now it's clear that the shows aren't sell-outs and better ones are available from ticketmaster. I''m sure other people will be doing the same. I could see people in the gods perfectly well, so you're not miles away from the action, but a good level 1 seat has an excellent close-up view. Up to you!

Cool - I'll ask t'missus. It's up to her really, as it's her birthday pressie. I'm not even a particular fan (being a die hard Metalhead), but I really can't wait for this gig ^_^

#89 Graham_S

Graham_S
  • Tech Team
  • 29072 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

Seems like he did turn up at the aftershow thing at the indigo, the small venue at the O2

...just back from the aftershow....I'll speed it as im bloody knackered!

The band came on around 1:20 and were totally funked up. Major horn blowing!
Candy Dulfer was there to join in too. Prince turned up on stage about 45
minutes later and then gave some hard rock guitar takes on some familiar
tunes inc. Anotherloveholenyohead! Superb. The NPG came back for more, inc.
Pass The Peas when they were re-joined by P.

We left when they went off stage at about 2:50 so dont know if they
returned.

[apparently they didn't]

I was a bit sceptical, given that there are aftershows after most O2 concerts, and they're just expensive discos. I thought appearances from Prince and his band would be few and far between. I'm going to take a chance on Friday night. I've always wanted to go to a Prince aftershow, they were legendary back in the eighties.

I'll be pissed off if they don't turn up. 30 is a lot of money to hang around the dome in the early hours.

#90 Graham_S

Graham_S
  • Tech Team
  • 29072 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

I've gone a bit mad and booked a few more dates. Excellent seats were available for some dates from ticketmaster, just in front of his sightline when he's performing on the crossbar of the symbol, and floorseats at the front and centre of the stage, so it seemed churlish to refuse given they're a reasonable price. It's not even that I think last night's show was so good I want to relive it again and again, but if they sort the sound out, it could be much better. I've been a lapsed fan for more than a decade, but I loved him back in his heyday, and it seems too good to be true that he's doing a long residency a short walk from my house. My teenage self would have loved to be able to see a load of Prince shows, so I feel like I'm doing him a favour even if it's twenty years too late.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users