Photo

The Tenchu Series - Acquire sneaking onto PlayStation 4!

Stealth

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#61 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Images have been turned back on! (Thanks Rob!)

To celebrate, let me post the Japanese box art of Tenchu 4:
Posted Image
I like!

And some nice screens:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#62 hanzo

hanzo
  • Members
  • 4545 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

Please don't kill me, but do ya reckon there's any chance of this (or like, a Director's Cut edition or something) coming to the other platforms? I'd rather just play this with a normal pad ;)

Speaking of Tenchu; I saw a new one available through XBLA - It's absolute fucking shite. What the hell. Just give me this please. Don't make me turn on my Wii or something!!1

#63 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

Please don't kill me, but do ya reckon there's any chance of this (or like, a Director's Cut edition or something) coming to the other platforms? I'd rather just play this with a normal pad ;)

I don't like waggle either, and I'm afraid there are no plans for a proper next-gen version. There were a few rumours about a PSP version floating about, I will post any official confirmation in this thread, but that's probably not what you were hoping for.

Our best bet is that this game does really well, or at least well enough for Acquire to be able to make Tenchu 5, and hopefully they will decide to develop it for the PS3 or 360 this time. They're already working on Way of the Samurai 3 for the PS3, so they should have plenty of experience with the PS3's esoteric inner workings by the time they start working on the next Tenchu.

#64 Sarlaccfood

Sarlaccfood
  • Members
  • 2677 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

I don't like waggle either, and I'm afraid there are no plans for a proper next-gen version. There were a few rumours about a PSP version floating about, I will post any official confirmation in this thread, but that's probably not what you were hoping for.

Our best bet is that this game does really well, or at least well enough for Acquire to be able to make Tenchu 5, and hopefully they will decide to develop it for the PS3 or 360 this time. They're already working on Way of the Samurai 3 for the PS3, so they should have plenty of experience with the PS3's esoteric inner workings by the time they start working on the next Tenchu.

Aw come on, a well implemented Wii control sheme is just as good as any pad setting surely? Mario Galaxy and Metroid come to mind.

It's controls might stink of course, but when devs get controls right, they get them right, regardless of the input device.

#65 hanzo

hanzo
  • Members
  • 4545 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

Aw come on, a well implemented Wii control sheme is just as good as any pad setting surely? Mario Galaxy and Metroid come to mind.
It's controls might stink of course, but when devs get controls right, they get them right, regardless of the input device.

Call me old fashioned but for a stealth game like this I'd much prefer the reliable feel of two analogue sticks for movement and camera control. I dislike the nunchuk/mote split for traditional games like this (even Mario Galaxy, which in my opinion didn't utilise the Wiimote cleverly for any benefit whatsoever. It just sort of used it. Nothing against the game), it just feels contrived. Don't really want to start a debate or anything, I just don't think games like this benefit at all from being exclusively on the Wii.

#66 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

It's a matter of personal preference - I don't like Waggle and I never will. It won't stop me from playing games like Galaxy and enjoying them, but I will always prefer normal joypads. For what it's worth, I don't like m+kb either. Notice that Tenchu 4 having waggle-controls hasn't made me any less enthusiastic about the game. I would have preferred a PS3 or 360 version with next-gen graphics and normal controls, but I'm still really looking forward to the game (as you can tell by all my posts in this thread.)

#67 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

Speaking of Tenchu; I saw a new one available through XBLA - It's absolute fucking shite. What the hell. Just give me this please. Don't make me turn on my Wii or something!!1

Yeah, maybe I should have mentioned in this thread that everybody should avoid the XBLA Tenchu at all costs, it's truly awful. When it suddenly appeared on the marketplace, I somehow thought that it was a HD remake with analogue controls of the first Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. Can you imagine it? The first Tenchu is still the best in terms of level-design, atmosphere, and just all-round brilliance. The only things that haven't aged well at all are the controls (d-pad wtf?) and the graphics, which were basic even when it first came out. A HD remake would be the most amazing thing ever but I doubt it will happen, and I still don't know why I suddenly thought about it when I saw the new Tenchu on XBLA.

#68 hanzo

hanzo
  • Members
  • 4545 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

Yeah, maybe I should have mentioned in this thread that everybody should avoid the XBLA Tenchu at all costs, it's truly awful. When it suddenly appeared on the marketplace, I somehow thought that it was a HD remake with analogue controls of the first Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. Can you imagine it? The first Tenchu is still the best in terms of level-design, atmosphere, and just all-round brilliance. The only things that haven't aged well at all are the controls (d-pad wtf?) and the graphics, which were basic even when it first came out. A HD remake would be the most amazing thing ever, but I doubt it will happen, and I still don't know why I suddenly thought about it when I saw the new Tenchu on XBLA.

I literally thought the exact same thing and got well excited! :) They would have made tons of money (and probably saved dev costs/time). Instead they go off and develop a bloody Tenchu Bomberman clone that nobody asked for. I mean, what?! Yeah, that's really gonna sell!

#69 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:56 PM

Don't tell Microsoft (we don't want those bastards to get any crazy ideas) but I would gladly pay even full price for a remake of Stealth Assassins. It would be my GotY, no contest - no matter how brilliant LBP, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge or any other game will turn out to be.

#70 Sarlaccfood

Sarlaccfood
  • Members
  • 2677 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:32 PM

Yeah, maybe I should have mentioned in this thread that everybody should avoid the XBLA Tenchu at all costs, it's truly awful. When it suddenly appeared on the marketplace, I somehow thought that it was a HD remake with analogue controls of the first Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. Can you imagine it? The first Tenchu is still the best in terms of level-design, atmosphere, and just all-round brilliance. The only things that haven't aged well at all are the controls (d-pad wtf?) and the graphics, which were basic even when it first came out. A HD remake would be the most amazing thing ever but I doubt it will happen, and I still don't know why I suddenly thought about it when I saw the new Tenchu on XBLA.

Yeah I can understand that. A game could be controlled by a yoyo and an ironing board if the game was built around it, but I guess this game has it's core mechanics made with a pad in mind. I'd love to see a HD Tenchu or Shinobido but I guess they went for the larger user base.

Still looking forward to this though. They really seem to have some new interesting ideas even after all these years of the series.

#71 Kinketsu

Kinketsu
  • Members
  • 3371 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:57 PM

Yeah, I like them messing with the formula a bit, it makes the different games stand out as individuals. You can see from the gameplay videos of this that while it has a Tenchu feel, some of the mechanics look quite different. To be honest I'm not sure the game would work as well as a port to the PS360. I'm with Gerbik in that I'd like to see this game be a hit, and then the team move on to a ground up PS3 Tenchu.

As Gerbik said, they are working on Way of the Samurai 3 (which reminds me, I should dig that thread up again with some of the (small) updates included) and are getting to grips with next gen tech. Way of the Samurai 3 looks somewhat like a souped up PS2 game. So by the time of an imaginary Tenchu 5, they could have a much better idea of what they are doing. RGG Kenzan to RGG 3 can be used as a measuring stick for what difference a year can make in terms of learning the new technology.

A small pet peeve at the end here : I hate reading some of the previews for this game online because it's clear the people writing them have no idea what they are talking about. They are almost as bad as the English media previews for RGG. For instance, one preview I read was going on about the fact that new to this game, you can hide underwater with a bamboo pipe. You could do this in Tenchu 2! Meanwhile, half of the new stuff in this game wasn't mentioned! Grr!

#72 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:16 AM

Yeah, I like them messing with the formula a bit, it makes the different games stand out as individuals. You can see from the gameplay videos of this that while it has a Tenchu feel, some of the mechanics look quite different. To be honest I'm not sure the game would work as well as a port to the PS360. I'm with Gerbik in that I'd like to see this game be a hit, and then the team move on to a ground up PS3 Tenchu.

As Gerbik said, they are working on Way of the Samurai 3 (which reminds me, I should dig that thread up again with some of the (small) updates included) and are getting to grips with next gen tech. Way of the Samurai 3 looks somewhat like a souped up PS2 game. So by the time of an imaginary Tenchu 5, they could have a much better idea of what they are doing. RGG Kenzan to RGG 3 can be used as a measuring stick for what difference a year can make in terms of learning the new technology.

A small pet peeve at the end here : I hate reading some of the previews for this game online because it's clear the people writing them have no idea what they are talking about. They are almost as bad as the English media previews for RGG. For instance, one preview I read was going on about the fact that new to this game, you can hide underwater with a bamboo pipe. You could do this in Tenchu 2! Meanwhile, half of the new stuff in this game wasn't mentioned! Grr!

I think it's good to clarify that you're talking about Yakuza: Kenzan and Yakuza 3 there, I'd imagine that not everybody knows that it's called Ryu ga Gotoku in Japan. And you're completely right about the difference a year and some experience can make, Yakuza 3 looks fucking amazing. Tenchu 5 on the PS3 with graphics as impressive as those in Yakuza 3... I think I would literally explode with my brain not being able to contain my level of excitement if that really happened.

I agree about the previews btw, Tenchu is an acquired ( :D ) taste and sending some journo that knows nothing about the series beyond the stuff he could find on wikipedia isn't going to help. They should send me instead, then we would really see some proper Tenchu previewing up in here. In the meantime I'll keep doing my best to find and post as much info as I can, and once I've modded my Wii to play imports (sometime by the end of this month) I shall post my definitive review, from the perspective of an oldschool Tenchu fan.

Oh and please update the Way of the Samurai 3 thread if you've got some new info, however small. I'm really interested in that game, I think it looks great even if the graphics are not everything they could be :)

#73 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:33 AM

Some gaijin playing an English version of Tenchu 4 at TGS08 has posted his vids on YouTube:

Part 1
Part 2

The second vid is more interesting, because it has cat-waggling! Check it out! Apart from that he seems to have no problems with the controls, he manages to sneak around okay. Btw, the lucky bastard guy has also posted a bunch of vids of other games he played at TGS08, if anyone's interested.

#74 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 4811 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:55 AM

So, having never played a Tenchu game before... Is it like Hitman? It certainly looks that way according to the vids. Or is it more action oriented?

#75 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

So, having never played a Tenchu game before... Is it like Hitman? It certainly looks that way according to the vids. Or is it more action oriented?

No, Tenchu games are nothing like Hitman games at all. Tenchu 4 seems to borrow some elements from Hitman, like poisoning food or the water supply, but it's still very different. Tenchu's stealth system is more traditional, it 's all about staying in the shadows whereas Hitman is unique in its 'hiding in plain sight by not attracting attention' approach to stealth.
Also, the levels in Hitman are always open sandbox environments with loads of NPC walking around, but in Tenchu there are mostly guards patrolling or watching a limited area. There are innocents sometimes, but they are just obstacles to be avoided, and not elements of a bigger puzzle like in Hitman.

So, no. If you like stealth games Tenchu is worth a try, stealth doesn't come more hardcore than Tenchu and Thief. But if you want more Hitman, then you'll have to patiently wait for Hitman 5 like the rest of us. Oh and anyone reading this thread who hasn't played Hitman: Blood Money yet, here is the thread, and this is recent a post of mine explaining how brilliant the game is. I would avoid older posts, because I noticed that the spoiler tags have somehow disappeared and there is a huge spoiler being discussed.

#76 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 23047 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

What. So let me get this straight. In the Wii tenchu:

- The levels are way more linear - despite the open nature
- No grapple!
- If you get spotted it's insta fail
- Movement is sluggish
- Fighting controls are awkward.

Ah well. Never mind then. I'll just pray for Shinobido PS3 I guess.

#77 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

Nothing like Shinobido at all dood, but even if the next Tenchu games turn out to be all Wii exclusive a proper next-gen Shinobido would more than make up for it. There was nothing about Shinobido at TGS08 as far as I know, and nothing on Acquire's Japanese website either. I guess you have to wait until after Way of the Samurai 3 and Tenchu 4 are released. Once I get my hands on the Japanese version of Tenchu 4 I will post my impressions here, so keep checking the thread anyway - it just might turn out to be brilliant and heavily recommended even if you'd rather like a next Shinobido. :(

Edit: Tbh, I think it's commendable that Acquire are trying to do something completely different with Tenchu. The series really needed to be shaken up and some new ideas needed to be injected, because after K2 took over the Tenchu series has stood still and gotten progressively worse after the revolutionary first two games. Since Acquire also has the Shinobido series, it makes sense to go into two different directions with Tenchu and Shinobido, and not make the same game twice but with a different title. We shall see how Tenchu 4 turns out, but since it's Acquire I'm hoping for something special.

#78 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 23047 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:48 PM

Heheh but I KNOW you'll bum it no matter how it turns out!! :(

Thing is for me, Shinobido was my Tenchu 2. It was the next awesome ninja game. They got rid of the slow movement, the clunkiness, everything that was PSone about the game. They gave you a funky ninja garden and an inventory and ALCHEMY and other cool things to mess about with. Big maps (although recycled) with tons of freedom. A sprint button so if you were spotted, you could (initially, at least) get away relatively easily and try again.

This game sound more like a step backwards to me from this recent info, is all.

#79 hanzo

hanzo
  • Members
  • 4545 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:57 PM

Nothing like Shinobido at all dood, but even if the next Tenchu games turn out to be all Wii exclusive a proper next-gen Shinobido would more than make up for it. There was nothing about Shinobido at TGS08 as far as I know, and nothing on Acquire's Japanese website either. I guess you have to wait until after Way of the Samurai 3 and Tenchu 4 are released. Once I get my hands on the Japanese version of Tenchu 4 I will post my impressions here, so keep checking the thread anyway - it just might turn out to be brilliant and heavily recommended even if you'd rather like a next Shinobido. :(

Edit: Tbh, I think it's commendable that Acquire are trying to do something completely different with Tenchu. The series really needed to be shaken up and some new ideas needed to be injected, because after K2 took over the Tenchu series has stood still and gotten progressively worse after the revolutionary first two games. Since Acquire also has the Shinobido series, it makes sense to go into two different directions with Tenchu and Shinobido, and not make the same game twice but with a different title. We shall see how Tenchu 4 turns out, but since it's Acquire I'm hoping for something special.

I agree with dood - This looks like the antithesis of a series 'shake up' (obvious Wii joke GO). Looks like the same ol' same ol' with some random little new bits here and there. We'll see. :wub:

#80 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

Heheh but I KNOW you'll bum it no matter how it turns out!! :wub:

:(
I promise that if it's crap I will say so, and if it's merely 'okay' then I will be honest about that too. But I'll admit that mediocrity won't stop me from bumming it... because it is Tenchu, after all.

I edited my previous post while you typed that reply, but it's a a perfect response to Tenchu 4 being 'a step backwards'. Like I said, it's more like going in a completely different direction with both series, with Shinobido being the 100mph Ninja gardener sim that you like so much. I love it too btw, so I'm hoping as much as you are that we see a next-gen Shinobido soon.

#81 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

I agree with dood - This looks like the antithesis of a series 'shake up' (obvious Wii joke GO). Looks like the same ol' same ol' with some random little new bits here and there. We'll see. :(

I'll be massively disappointed if it turns out to be the same ol' same ol' with some added waggle (man, I hate waggle), but thanks to the focus on making the stealth more hardcore, the new items, and especially the new 'ninja-vision', I remain optimistic. We shall see indeed.
It would be the very first Acquire game (though I'll admit that I haven't played all of them) that I didn't like or even disappointed me.

#82 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 23047 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

Ninja vision sounds like an okay idea, but doesnt it pause while you use it? Kinda takes the scares outta the stealth, surely?

#83 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

I'm just hoping that they manage to balance it all nicely. The Famitsu review quoted earlier said it was 'more hardcore' and 'more difficult' than earlier Tenchus, and that's apparently despite the Ninja vision being there. It could either completely ruin the tension like you say, or it might add to the amount of and variety in tactics at your disposal. We shall see :(

#84 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:54 PM

Interview with From Software on IGN here.

Interesting bits:

IGN: What's the difference between playing at Rikimaru and Ayame?
From Software: The very basic stuff, like moving around is faster. Ayame's speed if faster, so she can close in on enemies quicker. When he's carrying bodies or objects she moves slower, so it's harder for her to hide bodies. But because their stages are completely different, Rikimaru is a little more straightforward. You sneak up on enemies and kill them without being seen. Ayame's stages are a little trickier, she can use the environment more. She can use her kunai to knock enemies into objects and kill them that way. Her stages have a lot of chances to do tricky things.

Each character has completely different stages in the main storyline it seems. The different approaches sound interesting, at least it could mean that those who worried about the lack of acrobatics and grappling hook could be very happy with the next quote:

From Software: There are about 10 items in the game, which doesn't sound like a lot, but there are a ton of ways to use them. In the old games each item would only have one use. But now with like shuriken you can kill enemies, kill lights, do a lot of stuff with them. For standard items there are traps, and climbing hooks which can be used in different ways."

Grappling hook confirmed? Maybe only for Ayame? In the vids I posted previously, she was the only one we saw running over rooftops.... We shall see. 10 items doesn't like a whole lot though, but seeing the fishing rod in action in the previous vids I posted (hooking and reeling in items, hooking guards and pulling them from watchtowers), it does look like there's a nice variety in uses for each item.
The next quote is especially for dood, he should love IGN even more after this:

"There's a title called Shinobiville which is pretty famous in Japan but didn't really come to the west. It's another ninja title that's a little different from Tenchu."

Shinobiville?? Am I missing something here, what the hell does that even mean? :lol: (For those that don't know: 'Shinobido' simply means 'Way of the Shinobi' and Shinobi is another word for ninja.) I assume that whoever translated the interview got confused or something.

#85 Gunstar

Gunstar
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

Can't believe this doesn't have the grappling hook! first thing that comes to mind when Tenchu and Wii are mentioned is how awesome/fun it would be to use the grapple hook in conjunction with the Wii remote.

A bit off topic but did that Kamizawa ninja thief game come out? a search on Playasia comes up with zero.

#86 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

A bit off topic but did that Kamizawa ninja thief game come out? a search on Playasia comes up with zero.

Yeah it came out, I picked it up while I was in Japan about a year ago. Even there it was difficult to find, so I assume it didn't do well. It's good but not great imho. It's been a long time since I played it last, but the stealth in this game is not about shadows or disguises, it's about moving fast and literally dazzling and confusing the guards with crazy acrobatics and cartwheels. Your goal is to steal as much as you can without being caught. It's certainly different and original, and if my Japanese was a bit better I would've played it more.

Edit: about that last comment; yes it is text-heavy and because the stealth is so different from other games, it's really difficult to figure out how everything works if you can't understand Japanese. Unless you find a good faq online or you are able to read Japanese, I wouldn't recommend this game.

#87 Gunstar

Gunstar
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably leave it then but the crazy acrobatics and cartwheels sounds really appealing :D.

#88 Kinketsu

Kinketsu
  • Members
  • 3371 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

Proper lol at Shinobiville!

Yeah I wasn't that impressed with Kamiwaza especially if you want something Tenchuy. Historical action games, a genre I like, seemed to be on a race to the bottom for a while. Kamiwaza wasnt much cop and I was more disappointed with Ninkyouden and Hisatsu Ura Kagyou. Plus I'm really not a fan of Shinobido...sorry, Shinobiville!

However with Tenchu 4 and Way of the Samurai 3, it looks like companies like Aquire are getting their act together and moving back to larger, quality releases. It might mean less curiousity games, but I'd love to see Genki follow suit with new knock out Kengo and Fuun Shinsengumi games.

EDIT Just typed Kamiwaza as Kamizawa myself even though Kamizawa doesnt make any sense :D

#89 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17335 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

Gunstar, I figured out why you couldn't find the game at playasia; it isn't called Kamizawa, it's called Kamiwaza. They have the soundtrack and both editions here, not that you're going to buy it now but it's nice to know if nothing else.

#90 Gunstar

Gunstar
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

Ha! my bad, I copy and pasted the spelling from Caco's post in the Shinobido thread! Thanks again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stealth

486 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 486 guests, 0 anonymous users