Photo

The Tenchu Series - Acquire sneaking onto PlayStation 4!

Stealth

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17881 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:22 AM

Posted Image

It's the ten-year anniversary of Tenchu! To celebrate this, the original team that made Stealth Assassins returns to make Tenchu 4. Controls will be reworked to make use of the amazing waggle-wand.

Posted Image
Title: Tenchu 4
Platform: Wii
Release: 23-10-2008 (Japan), Q1 2009 (US and Europe)
Players: 1
Developer: Acquire
Publisher: From Software

Ubisoft will publish Tenchu 4 in the US and Europe as Tenchu 4: Art of the Ninja

1up TGS08 Preview

IGN TGS08 Preview

Screenshots from TGS08 on IGN

Tenchu 4 trailers and walkthroughs here at the Gametrailers Tenchu 4 page

Short Japanese TV ad for Tenchu 4

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 rgraves

rgraves
  • Members
  • 5820 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Couldn't see this mentioned anywhere already.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 ICECOLD

ICECOLD
  • Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

Is it just me, or have they not updated the Tenchu enemy models in about 5 years? :)

#4 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17881 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

I like Tenchu (I'm probably the only one here that enjoyed Tenchu Z), but even I must admit that the Tenchu series is not known for its technical excellence. I'm not sure if adding waggle is such a good idea when there are still so many technical flaws that the devs can't seem to get right. I was also hoping for a PS3 exclusive, at least then there would be a chance for some decent graphics and expansive atmospheric levels. And maybe even a complete make-over for the series, like Resi 4 was for the Resident Evil games. Now I fear that this will turn out to be PS2 Tenchu (the graphics already are by the looks of it) with waggle as its usp.

I will wait and see, at least it means that there's one Wii game I'm looking forward to.

#5 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17881 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:34 PM

Couldn't see this mentioned anywhere already.

Posted Image

OMG!! :) :) I didn't notice it before, but...Acquire?! Acquire is back on developing Tenchu! Well, that makes Tenchu 4 certainly far more interesting all of a sudden. (even if I still would've preferred a PS3 version)

#6 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41381 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

Posted Image

"Shave".

I bought Tenchu Z based on Stroker's recommendation but i'm yet to play it.

#7 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 24006 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

OMG!! :) :) I didn't notice it before, but...Acquire?! Acquire is back on developing Tenchu! Well, that makes Tenchu 4 certainly far more interesting all of a sudden. (even if I still would've preferred a PS3 version)

...hang on... Acquire made Shinobido, right?! ^_^ Or was that Spike? Are they the same? Their logos are identical.

#8 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17881 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

...hang on... Acquire made Shinobido, right?! ^_^ Or was that Spike? Are they the same? Their logos are identical.

That was Acquire! :)
They lost the rights to Tenchu and that's why they made Shinobido instead, a game that, imo, improved on Tenchu in many ways. And now the original developer is apparently back, together with all the experience and ideas they acquired (lol) with the Shinobido games! ^_^ :)

#9 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 24006 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

Oh fuck. Suddenly I'm very excited about Tenchu Wii, then :wub:

Shinobido = best ninja game ever, for those who are unaware.

#10 shynra

shynra
  • Supporters
  • 3397 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

Shinobido = best ninja game ever, for those who are unaware.

Dang dood, I have to try that game out, I didn’t realise the tenchu devs changed hands after no 2 - that might explain why I have not gottan along with any tenchu game made after number 2 (they where ok but nothing speshal)

#11 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17881 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

Dang dood, I have to try that game out, I didn’t realise the tenchu devs changed hands after no 2 - that might explain why I have not gottan along with any tenchu game made after number 2 (they where ok but nothing speshal)

That's exactly the reason. Here's the Shinobido thread. It starts out as a big Shinobido love-in, with mostly dood and me explaining in great detail why the game is so brilliant... until Cacophanus shows up and completely derails it. But the first 38 posts are very informative, should tell you all you need to know.

Edit: Reading that thread, it looks like mr_rmg already called it way back in 2006 :wub:

Im thinking that Tenchu on the Wii could make for a verrry interesting experience.

He should be very happy with this announcement!

#12 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 24006 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

That's exactly the reason. Here's the Shinobido thread. It starts out as a big Shinobido love-in, with mostly dood and me explaining in great detail why the game is so brilliant... until Cacophanus shows up and completely derails it. But the first 38 posts are very informative, should tell you all you need to know.

Oh god, don't remind me. "I'M AMAZING COS I PLAYED THIS AGES AGO" :wub: Ah, epic times.

#13 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17881 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

Oh god, don't remind me. "I'M AMAZING COS I PLAYED THIS AGES AGO" :) Ah, epic times.

Followed by "THE ONLY PROPER WAY TO PLAY GAMES IS TO PLAY THEM IN JAPANESE - AND IF YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND JAPANESE IT MAKES A GAME EVEN BETTER AND MORE HARDCORE" :wub:

#14 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 24006 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

Followed by "THE ONLY PROPER WAY TO PLAY GAMES IS TO PLAY THEM IN JAPANESE - AND IF YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND JAPANESE IT MAKES A GAME EVEN BETTER AND MORE HARDCORE GET A JAPANWIFE LIKE I DID" :wub:

#15 lucian

lucian
  • Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

This looks pretty cool (God knows I need more stuff for my Wii) and reading that other thread I'm definitely picking up Shinobido next time I see it cheap. That Cacophonus guy was hilarious though. Was he being serious or just trolling? I hope the latter. Bizarre.

#16 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 24006 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

Shinobido is hard to go back to these days, since it is very 'PS2', if that makes sense. However, it made me feel more like a ninja (and I mean PROPER ninja, not the ridiculous Ninja Gaiden type of ninja) than any other game... God, I WISH a new Shinobido was being made. Fingers crossed this Wii Tenchu nicks some idea like the ninja house/set maps, at least :)

Oh and being able to run away really easily was awesome and should be included too :wub:

#17 shynra

shynra
  • Supporters
  • 3397 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

some more info:

Tenchu V and VI planned, distribution by Ubisoft.

Posted Image

Tenchu 4,5 platforms TBA

Tenchu 4 details:

- Main characters: Rikimaru and Ayame
- Story: set one year after the riots caused by the Witchcraft Lord “Tenrai”. There are still some evil people behind the scenes that are causing trouble, and gaining in power. There was also an incident involving the kidnapping of princess Kiku (Lord Gouda Matsunoshin’s daughter). Rikimaru and Ayame must find out what is going on with these happenings.
- “Stealth Ninja Action Game”
- developers are saying that this could be the ‘epitome of the series’
- new character designs
- new actors
- both characters have different fighting styles, and “assassination cutscenes”.
- Stealth actions: hide in water, climb on ceilings, sneak around above the ceiling, hide in the dark, hide bodies, hide within caravans to sneak into heavily guarded locations, and more moves completely new to the series
- special move allows you to quickly dispose of a body into water, effectively hiding the corpse
- ninja tools from previous entries return, and have been reworked for Wiimote/Nunchuk control
- www.tenchu.net may be updated on June 7th with info

source source 2

#18 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17881 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

There's actually already some info on tenchu.net (or maybe it's already been updated?)

As far as my crappy Japanese could tell, they're talking about the ten-year anniversary of Tenchu (has it really been ten years already?) and to celebrate this the original team returns to make Tenchu 4. Controls will be reworked to make use of the amazing waggle-wand. Other sites are saying that it hasn't been confirmed as a Wii exclusive yet, but tenchu.net confirms it.

What I could tell from the site:
Title: Tenchu 4
Platform: Wii
Release: 23-10-2008
Players: 1 (no co-op then)
Developer: Acquire ( :lol: )
Publisher: From Software

Videogaming24/7 has some extra info here, and confirms that Ubisoft will publish Tenchu 4 in the US and Europe.

Edit:
Screens from GoNintendo:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17881 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

This is the picture on tenchu.net:
Posted Image
I really like the artwork, and I love seeing Acquire's logo there. As it should be.

Tbh, when I first read that it would be a Wii exclusive I was massively disappointed. Now it's also confirmed that they're actually planning to use the waggle to control items and weapons. The graphics (from what we've seen so far) are anything but impressive, but that can't be helped on the Wii.

Nevertheless, Acquire is making it, and they've announced that they want to make something really special to celebrate the ten-year anniversary of the series. I'm very intrigued and really looking forward to it. Apart from the superb Shinobido, Acquire has been experimenting with other types of stealth (in Kamiwaza you move around unseen not by hiding, but by moving so fast and erratic that you dazzle and confuse the guards), and they're returning to the series with a lot of experience. Surely, Tenchu 4 can't turn out to be anything else than something really special?

Edit: there's an announcement trailer there too, click here for the link (plays directly in windows media player)

#20 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 17462 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:02 PM

Surely, Tenchu 4 can't turn out to be anything else than something really special?

It's Tenchu. The series has never been good.

#21 shynra

shynra
  • Supporters
  • 3397 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

trailer is up here:

http://www.tenchu.ne...chu4_tokuho.asx

#22 Chopsocky

Chopsocky
  • Members
  • 1715 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

^^

I couldn't get it to work but I found it on youtube as well.

#23 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17881 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thanks to Uzi Tenchu 4 now has its own thread ;)

I've updated the first post with all the info we have so far.

#24 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 24006 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

It's Tenchu. The series has never been good.

Die in a fire. 1 & 2 were CLASSIC. Jesus.

#25 rumblecat

rumblecat
  • Supporters
  • 2959 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

The PS2 one was pretty good as well. The only really bad Tenchu game I've played was the one on the PSP, mainly because the draw distance was so bad that you couldn't even see to the other side of a room. It was like playing a ninja who'd misplaced his glasses. I never played the 360 one- is it worth having a crack at?

#26 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 24006 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

I'd say so, yes. It's not classic, but there are some funky features and it looks pretty good, for a Tenchu game :(

#27 hanzo

hanzo
  • Members
  • 4545 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:34 PM

Yep, as long as you can look past the uber LOLJAPAN Tenchu Z becomes a proper satisfying lil' game : D

#28 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 24006 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:56 PM

HANZO! Remember coop missions in our pants? Epic times : D

#29 rgraves

rgraves
  • Members
  • 5820 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:32 PM

Some gameplay footage from the recent presentation:

#30 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17881 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

That's a first for Tenchu: you can blow out the lights. Together with the Hitman-like stealth kill from above and the solid-looking environments, I have to say the game looks interesting at least. They're focusing on trying to do something different with the gameplay this time, and being able to blow out candles by itself already makes for an interesting stealth dynamic that Tenchu has never experimented with before.

I'm still no fan of the waggle-wand, and flicking the wand up to jump seems like an idiotic control-scheme to me, but... slitting throats by actually doing the cutting motion yourself.... I simply can't hate on that :angry: :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stealth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users