• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#1 Vin

Vin
  • Members
  • 6885 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

http://www.joblo.com/beard-does-tintin

Steven Spielberg, whose beard has become as iconic as the man himself, snatched up the rights to Belgian comic hero Tintin (and his trusty dog sidekick Snowy) from creator Georges Remi aka Herge just before he died about 23 years ago but was never able to get the film off the ground for the myriad reasons that projects stall on their way to production paradise. Recently, however, summoning the all-mighty power of his facial hair, he's been given a go to move forward with the project through, naturally, DreamWorks. There's been no mention of whether the project will be live action, CGI or a combination of the two but it will, in fact, be a mega-budgeted production with a full-fledged international promotion, in contrast to the two live action adaptations released in the 1960s (there's also been two animated series and a stage play last year named "Tintin in Tibet" performed by London's Young Vic theater company). And should the first one prove successful, you can bet your sweet little tush, the remaining 22 books in the series will make their way to the big screen.

Totally looking forward to this.

#2 Spudulis

Spudulis
  • Members
  • 7954 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

God I hope they don't fuck this one up.

#3 mindgames

mindgames
  • Supporters
  • 2878 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:51 PM

The Black Island FTW

#4 CussYouBad

CussYouBad
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

I hope they get someone to bellow "HERGE'S ADVENTURES OF TIIIIIN-TIIIIIIN!" at the start of it.

I vote for Ian McKellan.

No, wait. Brian Blessed.

#5 mindgames

mindgames
  • Supporters
  • 2878 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:55 PM

:) LOL NSFW Strong Language

#6 Spudulis

Spudulis
  • Members
  • 7954 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

Those redubbed Tin Tins are probably the funniest thing on Youtube.

#7 Jimbo

Jimbo
  • Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:41 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/6656635.stm

3D animation by Weta, trilogy with Spielberg and Jackson directing two of them.

#8 evilwallpaper

evilwallpaper
  • Members
  • 3471 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:57 AM

so it is 3d CGI then ? Live action would have been much better.

#9 tronied

tronied
  • Members
  • 2462 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

:( LOL NSFW Strong Language

My favorite is this one: Link - "How would you like it if me and my mate spitroasted snowy" :wub:

Although I was hoping for actual actors rather than CGI, I guess its best to play it safe.

#10 mindgames

mindgames
  • Supporters
  • 2878 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:47 AM

Original cartoon voices FTW!

I wonder if they adapt the big racist ones :wub:

#11 Spartan

Spartan
  • Members
  • 3319 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/6656635.stm

3D animation by Weta, trilogy with Spielberg and Jackson directing two of them.

Oh do fuck off Mr Speilberg and Mr Jackson

Live action PLEASE

#12 Sir DangerM

Sir DangerM
  • Members
  • 14393 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

Would have prefered live action...never really enjoy watching feature length animation.

Was a huge fan of tintin when i was younger.

#13 Nick R

Nick R
  • Members
  • 7402 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

I think my favourites were the Egyptian one ("Cigars of the Pharaoh") and the two-part pirate story were my favourites. I got into the early '90s cartoons and the comics around at almost exactly the same time (I remember the first Tintin book I noticed in the library was the one that was being shown on TV at that time).

Guardian Blog suggests that Flight 714, with its aliens, might appeal to Spielberg. (And if I've just noticed that if you split that into 7 and 14, and add one to each, you get Flight 815... the Lost flight! It's like the IBM/HAL thing!) :unsure:

#14 CactuarBill

CactuarBill
  • Members
  • 6772 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

I was a huge fan of Tintin, loved watching it when I was young. It was one of those shows that you could never forget. If it is live action I would go to see it but if not I won't bother.

#15 Capwn

Capwn
  • Members
  • 12378 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

For what its worth, I really do believe that WETA are passionate about recreating the look of TinTin. They do need to make it animated to keep that style. Live action would just look weird.

Triology by both spielberg and jackson with WETA? I seriously reckon it could be the first good non-kiddy 3D animated film and I am sure this is their intention. Now more then ever this industry needs a good 3d animated film that DOESN'T involve amusing non human characters acting like humans.

#16 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19255 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

No one mentioned that Steven Moffat (the one that does the good Dr Who episodes) is set to script all three films. Either that or it was mentioned in the Who thread already.

He is an interesting choice and whilst elements of his Who scripts kind of fit it is still quite a departure for him.

#17 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14082 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:36 AM

No one mentioned that Steven Moffat (the one that does the good Dr Who episodes) is set to script all three films. Either that or it was mentioned in the Who thread already.

He is an interesting choice and whilst elements of his Who scripts kind of fit it is still quite a departure for him.

oddly enough I mentioned it in the who thread :)

#18 Capwn

Capwn
  • Members
  • 12378 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

Is this still going ahead then?, not heard anything in ages

#19 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19255 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

Well Jackson is busy with Lovely Bones and Spielberg has that little film Indiana IV to deal with so its not like this is starting production any time soon.

#20 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27022 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

Just this minute read an interview with Spielberg conducted earlier today. Doesn't mention a time scale but it looks like it's still going to happen.

From Comingsoon.net
In addition to Transformers and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the industrious director talked about Tintin, a project he's working on with Peter Jackson, based on the popular graphic novels by Belgian artist Hergé. He said that as of now there are only two directors with Jackson directing the first installment, himself directing the second movie, and if they don't hire another director, the two would co-direct the third. Jackson will shoot his movie in New Zealand and Spielberg will shoot in the States, and Spielberg said the two are very collaborative and that the film will be using motion-capture, which is still new to him.

Full interview here including info on Indiana 4
http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=38211

#21 Capwn

Capwn
  • Members
  • 12378 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:45 AM

. Jackson will shoot his movie in New Zealand and Spielberg will shoot in the States, and Spielberg said the two are very collaborative and that the film will be using motion-capture, which is still new to him.

oh oh...

seriously though, I can't imagine them stretching a CGI tin tin into 3 films. It was hardly epic was it?

#22 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19255 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:48 AM

3 different stories surely? They should have enough to pick from.

I think the motion capture can work a lot better with this. Stuff like Polar Express and Beowulf has gone with realistic humans whereas they are trying to capture the traditional look of Tintin with this so I think it will be much closer to something like Monster House which looked very good, imo.

#23 Vin

Vin
  • Members
  • 6885 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:15 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/7147598.stm

Lord of the Rings star Andy Serkis is to work again with director Peter Jackson in the movie remake of TinTin, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The magazine reported Serkis will play the role of Captain Haddock in the film, based on Herge's comics, although studio DreamWorks would not confirm.

A trilogy of movies will be made using the same technology as current box office hit, Beowulf.

#24 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19255 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Spielberg is directing the first one with Jackson tackling the second. Still no news on who is doing the third yet though.

Serkis is already leaving to start work on the first film.

In fact tomorrow I’m flying out to start on Tintin. Steven Spielberg is directing the first one, and then Peter Jackson is doing the second. The bulk of the shoot starts in September but things got a little bit moved around after the writers’ strike.

http://www.indielond...erkis-interview

#25 Sir DangerM

Sir DangerM
  • Members
  • 14393 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

As soon as I saw Serkis was involved I thought to myself I bet he's playing Haddock. He could do a good job of it. He's definitely done a good job of bringing CG characters to life through motion capture before.

Blistering Barnacles!

#26 Smitty

Smitty
  • Members
  • 67424 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

Spielberg is directing the first one with Jackson tackling the second. Still no news on who is doing the third yet though.

Jim Cameron, maybe.

#27 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19255 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

Possibly. I know that Spielberg and Jackson visited him on the set of Avatar but that may be purely down to seeing how the technology works. Tintin doesn't exactly seem a good fit with Cameron though.

#28 Sir DangerM

Sir DangerM
  • Members
  • 14393 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

Robert Zemeckis would seem like the obvious choice.

#29 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19255 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

Yep and by that time his adaptation of A Christmas Carol would be over. Gil Kenan is another possible candidate. He doesn't have the name of a Zemeckis or Cameron but I know Spielberg thinks he has a lot of talent and he directed Monster House so is familiar with how a film of this type works.

#30 tronied

tronied
  • Members
  • 2462 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

As long as its not Quentin Tarantino like I heard from one rumour.

I don't want Tintin to be turned into a psychotic killer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users