The Emulator Thread

• Please log in to reply
812 replies to this topic

#421 Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle
  • Members
  • 2451 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Anex86 is the emulator that crops up most frequently on forums as many PC98 emulators are Japanese-centric and it has a fairly basic - but English - GUI. However, before you do that, my own personal recommendation is The Neko Project II. The emulator author has a specific version for a Western audience and the homepage is here: http://www.yui.ne.jp/np2/, which links to the download. The GUI is really very good with a wealth of options that no other PC98 emulator has.

The website http://www.theoldcomputer.com has a section dedicated to the PC98, including magazines, multimedia and operating systems. It also has some stuff on it, relating to the 'no links to roms' rules, which prohibits a direct link to the PC98 section.

#422 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5632 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Does anyone know of an easy way to see the Dolphin emulator up? I want to try and play Baiten Kaitos in 1080P

#423 DeFiBkIlLeR

DeFiBkIlLeR
  • Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

The trouble with Dolphin is that there is no one ideal setup, each game often requires a different config (sometimes different versions of Dolphin) to run smoothly.

It's one of the reasons I've long given up on it...more trouble than its worth TBH.

The official forums carry the best setup for the most popular games.

#424 Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle
  • Members
  • 2451 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hikaru emulator, anyone?

Hey all,

I have been working for some time on a sega hikaru emulator, valkyrie. You may have seen a couple of screenshots on R.Belmont's blog, but there have not been any official news; so I figured I should write a status report of some sorts.

A short introduction: valkyrie is an incomplete, slow, primitive, crude and sometimes hacky sega hikaru emulator, written from scratch by reversing the few existing hikaru dumps, in my very limited spare time. Only linux is currently supported (it should be rather easy to port to windows/osx, but I can't do the porting myself, as I use linux boxes only.)

At the time of writing, valkyrie is able to run the bootrom almost fully, including the simple 3D triangle strips making up the bootrom menu. Furthermore it can display the bitmap layers used to render 2D stuff on screen: planet harriers and airtrix up reach the title screen; sega nascar arcade also shows the intro screen; brave fire fighters is trying desperately to display the title screen, but given that there are no dumps for most of the texture data, it renders garbage. So there is some promise here.

(An appetizer: the 3D intro in pharrier is actually being pushed to the GPU, the problem is that I don't know yet how to render it. I mean, valkyrie _can_ render the meshes somewhat using a canonical orthographic viewport, but I don't know how to make use of the viewport and modelview matrices uploaded by the game. At some point the game just uploads NaNs, though.)

However there is still a ton missing stuff: AICA and input emulation (I'm using an ugly hack to fake them; probably missing AICA/input IRQs are the main cause of current emulation errors), my understanding of the graphics hardware is still rather limited (I _think_ I figured out most of the GPU ISA; but many instructions are still unknown), and the exact ROM mapping of some games (sega nascar arcade, and likely podrace) is unclear.

I'll take some time in the next few weeks to fix the obvious warts in the code, and then upload a git tree to github, so that people can start looking at it and possibly contribute some man power. The ETA is likely 2-4 weeks.

The code will be licensed under the GPL2 or GPL3 (I have yet to pick one.), so it's free and open source, and yours to improve upon (or port to MAME.)

Have fun,

Stefano

Arbee's blog (which Stefano refers to) is here: http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?p=726

#425 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66121 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

I've been using some emulators on Windows 7 PC recently (Mame, WinUAE, SNESX9 and FEUCX or what is it called, the NES emu). All of them run fine with my wired Hori Fight Stick EX2 (360) over USB. However, I can't get it to work in the 2 C64 emulators I tried (CCs-64 and Vice). Vice sees it but only inputs junk ( no response and constantly up-left input), CCS-64 seems to ignore it all together. Using a wired 360 pad I can use the analog stick in Vice, but not the dpad. Unlike the mac version, I can't remap the joystick inputs it seems. I really want to use my Hori stick though because it OWNS for digitally controlled games.

Any tips for settings or another C64 emulator?

#426 Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle
  • Members
  • 2451 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

You could map the controller input to a keyboard letter and configure it using something like xpadder. Versions of the program after 5.3 are available as commercial software, but prior versions are freeware. You can get 5.2 here: http://en.kioskea.ne...ad-3137-xpadder

#427 DeFiBkIlLeR

DeFiBkIlLeR
  • Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

However, I can't get it to work in the 2 C64 emulators I tried (CCs-64 and Vice). Vice sees it but only inputs junk ( no response and constantly up-left input), CCS-64 seems to ignore it all together.
Any tips for settings or another C64 emulator?

It's to do with how Windows 7 assigns the different directional options on the 360 pad, the Dpad is classed as a 'Point Of View' input, like what you get on the top of Flight Sim Joysticks, which allow you look around with a 360 view, so emulators have to be programmed to take account of this, CCS-64 isn't, so like mr_pickle said, map the keyboard cursor keys to the U,D,L,R position's within CCS64, and with Xpadder, assign the DPad on your 360 controller to those same keys in Xpadder.

Hope that makes sense...

#428 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66121 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, it does, thanks. It's far from an ideal solution though, especially as other emus do it exactly right 'out of the box'. I got my virtual Amiga, SNES, NES and Arcade Machines running within minutes. I guess the ol' C64 has to wait for a bit, maybe I'll go pester some devs to add it in :) It's only for 3 games really, the only C64 games I still like to play at any stretch of time are H.E.R.O. (could try this on an Atari 2600 emu I suppose), Kid Grid (Amidar just isn't the same) and Commando (the MAME version is better, but I love that music in the C64 version).

#429 Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle
  • Members
  • 2451 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

You could try another from Zophar's domain http://www.zophar.net/c64.html

#430 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66121 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Seems most of them haven't been updated in ages. No luck so far alas.

#431 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Tried Xpadder, works a charm. Thanks for the tip!

#432 Sprite Machine

Sprite Machine
  • Members
  • 24930 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

This has probably been asked countless times, but is there an emulator that plays Super Mario Kart perfectly? I've tried the latest versions of both ZSNES and SNES9X (the two most popular emulators) and they both give me glitches. Either the lower screen blanks/freezes and I have to reboot, or the game runs but the collisions are wrong, like I can drive through walls, coins/items don't pick up, it thinks I'm off the track when I'm not, etc.

Running Windows 7, by the way.

#433 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26502 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Strange im sure ive emulated SMK fine with those emulators, a while back. i know it used to be the case they didnt work right though.

was really enjoying f zero gx on dolphin over the weekend but slowdown became a big issue eventually making it largely unplayable =(

#434 Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle
  • Members
  • 2451 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

Bsnes will play it perfectly, but you will need a very powerful machine as it is perfect emulation. You will also need a Rom taken from the no-intro set. These are 'purified' and can be identified from the .sfc filetype. Most snes roms are .smc.

If you use bsnes, use the 32bit version (even if you have x64) as it runs waaaaay faster.

That said, although I recently moved to bsnes, I used zsnes prior to that and played SMK with no issues. I did however, get the problems you allude to, until I changed my rom. I used verified goodsets.

#435 Sprite Machine

Sprite Machine
  • Members
  • 24930 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

I've seen videos of it running perfectly through ZSNES, which confused me. I'll try a different ROM then, cheers.

#436 DeFiBkIlLeR

DeFiBkIlLeR
  • Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

I've seen videos of it running perfectly through ZSNES, which confused me. I'll try a different ROM then, cheers.

You will need the newest DSP Rom dumps to play some SNES games perfectly on BSNES.just put them (unzipped) into your main Snes Rom folder for BSNES to find.

..not sure if Mario Kart is one of the games that needs them though...suspect it does.

#437 Sprite Machine

Sprite Machine
  • Members
  • 24930 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

Faulty ROM confirmed. Who'da thunk it? :)

#438 Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle
  • Members
  • 2451 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Some members may have seen my post here about running Mario Kart GP and GP2 on Wii hardware thanks to a patch made by Crediar.

Well it now appears that the Dolphin devs have hooked up the patch to the latest (unsupported) version for Mario Kart GP2. The controls aren't yet implemented, but apparently this isn't going to take much time. Confirmed as working by me; although it's only Mario Kart GP2 at present.

Here's some screens:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#439 Gizamaluke

Gizamaluke
  • Supporters
  • 4499 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Bit of a shot in the dark here, but does anyone know of a site that has Dolphin saves or save states to download? I re-installed Windows recently and stupidly forgot to back up my 30 odd hours of Xenoblade :(

#440 Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle
  • Members
  • 2451 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

Like this? Dolphin can read and import Wii saves in their native format http://www.gamefaqs....hronicles/saves

#441 Gizamaluke

Gizamaluke
  • Supporters
  • 4499 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, that's spot on, but I'm after a save 30 odd hours in rather than an end-game save, but cheers for looking.

#442 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

Anyone have descrypt.exe from Makaron? All the downloads for makaron have expired or are hosted on sites no longer operating. I need it for decrypting some Naomi images (i already have the images)

#443 Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle
  • Members
  • 2451 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

Download DEScrypt.exe from here: http://www.mediafire...galli1p0mhs2mtg

Download chdman from here: http://www.mediafire...n7a2aneqc492ee0

#444 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

Thanks, i actually found it and forgot to come back :P

Now, if i can get my homemade card reader working...

#445 Unofficial Who

Unofficial Who
  • Members
  • 15607 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

Got a Nook? Want to play Playstation games on it instead of reading boring books?

http://hackaday.com/...k-simple-touch/

Improvements in processing power really hit home when you see an eBook reader playing PlayStation games. Sure, we’re talking about a system which launched more than 15 years ago (the original PlayStation launched way back in 1995), but this is a $99 device which seems to be playing the games at full speed!
[Sean] wrote in to share the project with us. After rooting the device he installed System 7 (aka Mac OS 7) using Mini vMac for Android. He uses Free PlayStation Emulator (FPSE) to run the games. There is an Android version which provides the touch-screen controls you see above. We figured the graphics would be awful, but the video after the break proves us wrong. Other than being in black and white we think the graphics are fantastic. Just one hack was necessary to make this happen. [Sean] uses NoRefresh to keep the Nook from refreshing the screen which is what causes the film-negative type of flashing after several page turns.

#446 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14754 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

I recently set up the Sega Master System emu Fusion364 on my pc to play the original Phantasy Star with PAR cheat codes enabled. I'm now looking for a SMS emu on PSP that I can also use PAR cheat codes with, as well as being able to transfer save states between the PC and PSP.

#447 vanronk

vanronk
  • Members
  • 3050 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

PSP Snes emulation? What's the best emu? I imagine most games are pretty playable!?

#448 jatpool

jatpool
  • Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

PSP Snes emulation? What's the best emu? I imagine most games are pretty playable!?

Last time i tried the emulation was quite crap. I could get super Mario World to play with sound disabled at full speed :(

#449 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

RE: Dolphin. Has anyone had problems with stuttering sound and if so is there an obvious fix?

#450 DeFiBkIlLeR

DeFiBkIlLeR
  • Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

RE: Dolphin. Has anyone had problems with stuttering sound and if so is there an obvious fix?

On some games you need to use the LLE recompiler option which in turn means you'll need the DSP roms (dsp_coef.bin & dsp_rom.bin placed in your main Dolphin directory) for it to work, but it is slower than the HLE setting, so you'll need a top end CPU (more than you already do!)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users