roberthazelby

The Emulator Thread

963 posts in this topic

Sorry to be thick, but I only ever use the MAMEUI version. How do I use 0.143U8? Is it command line driven?

Sorry to be thick, but I only ever use the MAMEUI version. How do I use 0.143U8? Is it command line driven?

The latest version of MameUI has been updated to 0.143U9...

http://www.mameui.info/

Although MameUI is pretty much on life support these days, active development stopped a while ago, and there are plenty of bugs in it.

If i were you i'd move onto a different front end, either MamePlusGUI or Emuloader..

Cheers, are they as up to date as well?

(On a side note, I've sold my monitor - which tilts into TATE - as I've ordered a better one. But they didn't deliver on time and now I'm stuck without my lovely PC and the chance to try Deathsmiles and all the new stuff, until Monday. First-world problems :( )

Do you not have an Xbox to play DeathSmiles? Not only is it cheap, but the content is vastly superior, it runs extremely well and you get the bonuses like replays and leader boards.

The is an argument for playing mame for the games that are region locke or badly portedd, but no one should be choosing the mame version of DS over the 360 version

Do you not have an Xbox to play DeathSmiles? Not only is it cheap, but the content is vastly superior, it runs extremely well and you get the bonuses like replays and leader boards.

The is an argument for playing mame for the games that are region locke or badly portedd, but no one should be choosing the mame version of DS over the 360 version

I have a PC in my cab, but no Xbox, so Mame it is.

Nope, don't have a 360. I had four RRODs costing me lots of money and - even more valuable to me - time to fix, and I absolutely refuse to own one again.

You might say, "But these problems are fixed now" but I flat out refuse to reward MS yet again, simply for finally shipping a product that actually does what it's meant to. And I couldn't trust a second hand one enough to go for that option.

I have a gaming PC, so the number of exclusives I miss out on is minimal (I think the only ones of any note I've missed are Alan Wake and Gears of War 3, and I'm not that bothered. Although I ache to play Halo: Reach. May borrow my mate's 360 for a weekend one time!)

I think it's quite impressive that they've got Deathsmiles running, but I don't think my PC would have the juice to try it out. (Besides, I own it on 360 and prefer the visuals in Xbox 360 mode to the smaller, more pixelly display of the original mode. :P )

If anyone managed to get iDos/Dospad before it was pulled, the iPhone 4S can handle games like Frontier beautifully (slowdown on my 3GS made combat impossible).

Bugger... :(

Cave have requested that the MAME Dev's remove the System 3 games...which of course they will do, so if you want to keep playing them i suggest you archive the latest release (143.u9) because from 144, you wont be able to play them...

I can understand why Cave have done this, afterall they are a very small outfit, and must feel any lost sales, however small, hits them harder than the likes of Capcom,Namco..etc.

Oh well, looks like i'll have to go back to compiling my own version again....pain in the arse.

Not only that but some of the emulated games have only just had releases in the last couple of years (or months in some cases). Really the mame team took the piss by emulating titles that are still being sold commercially by the developers. They never used to touch stuff like that, they have been getting far too big for their boots recently since they added the Cave PGM titles.

Unfortunately it basically boils down to free games, so most people are going to be wanting to spite cave for spoiling their fun, although ultimately it's a bit late.

If anyone managed to get iDos/Dospad before it was pulled, the iPhone 4S can handle games like Frontier beautifully (slowdown on my 3GS made combat impossible).

It still hurts me that I missed that.

This is like the games version of audiophiles except with actual real results. Impressive amount of work. I played about with a NES emulator the other night as I wanted to see if I could get my 360 fight stick working and it did something weird with the sound, it didn't sound right at all.

I'm moving house next year and am having a dedicated man cave so at some point I need to do me some learnin' on emulators as I'd quite like to play me some old arcade games like AvP, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs... Scrolly beat 'em ups mostly on CPS1 and 2. Is there a 'MAME for retards' site I can look at?

I'd google 'Emu Russia', have a read and then ask me for an invite to Underground Gamer. Personally, although I know MAME is considered by many as the king of emulators, I find it too cumbersome and crippled in so many ways (which I accept some can be overcome with unofficial builds or hacks), that I tend to use system-specific emulators. For side-scrolling CPS games, I would most definitely recommend Kawaks and Final Burn Alpha over MAME for example.

I'd google 'Emu Russia', have a read and then ask me for an invite to Underground Gamer. Personally, although I know MAME is considered by many as the king of emulators, I find it too cumbersome and crippled in so many ways (which I accept some can be overcome with unofficial builds or hacks), that I tend to use system-specific emulators. For side-scrolling CPS games, I would most definitely recommend Kawaks and Final Burn Alpha over MAME for example.

I do wish people wouldn't be so obtuse when posting sometimes...

What exactly am i supposed to be reading?.

What has 'Underground Gamer' got to do with 'Emu Russia'..?

I just wrote a long paragraph out explaining it all. But reading it back, I actually stand by my initial post as it was perfectly clear. If you can't work it out; then I can live with the guilt.

Is there a MAME that works on the PSP? I'd like to play the old wireframe Star Wars arcade game on the go with it.

I just wrote a long paragraph

Where?..

If you meant your original post, you didn't explain anything, just suggested we read a dodgy Russian ROM site, whilst not explaining what we are supposed to read on said site.

Emu Russia isn't dodgy at all, you dolt. It's run by the team behind DEMUL and is a long-standing and thoroughly comprehensive emulation site containing - pretty much - everything you need on all-manner of different types of emulation. I'm hardly likely to deep-link to something, when the original question was as vague as 'how do I get started in emulation?' (or thereabouts). Are you really this bored and pedantic in real life?

Emu Russia isn't dodgy at all, you dolt. It's run by the team behind DEMUL and is a long-standing and thoroughly comprehensive emulation site containing - pretty much - everything you need all-manner of different types of emulation. I'm hardly likely to deep-link to something, when the original question was as vague as 'how do I get started in emulation?' (or thereabouts). Are you really this bored and pedantic in real life?

Are you going to explain what the fuck you were talking about or not, or just carry on being an utterly obtuse hipster cunt.?

No. I'm not. Because I still stand by the clarity of my original post. If you can't understand it, that's your problem, not mine. The question was 'how do I get started with emulation? I said read Emu Russia and then ask me for an invite to Underground Gamer. Anyone with a brain could find what they wanted to know and what the wanted to get from the information I provided.

If you think that's obtuse, then you should ask your parents for a dictionary for Christmas; since you clearly have no idea what 'obtuse' means. Nor, as it happens do you know what a 'hipster' is either if you think I'm one. :facepalm:

mr_pickle, cheers I shall have a good long read. ^_^

I've been trying out PCSX2 0.9.8 lately and I have to say PS 2 emulation has come a long way since I last tried it, games look really good at 1080p with some AF and AA applied.

I've only ripped FFx, xii and Dragon Quest viii so far, the 2 FF games seem flawless from the hour or so I played but my CPU struggles a little with DQ viii, the FPS never dips below 30 but the jerks from 50-30 and back again are noticeable.

It's usually sound I have trouble with on emulators and if I'm honest I don't know any of these 3 games well enough to know if it's off or not, it must be 8 years since I last played FFx

Sounds good. Will try and give that a go for the latter Ps2 Densha De Go series.

Incidentally...whats the best PS1 emulator now?

Has there been any advance on ePSXe?

Turns out the orignal Densha De Go's run to fast on my PC and i don't want to use a processor clock "slower".

I still use ePSXe. Most graphics drivers can limit the framerate if it's running too fast, no?