Photography Equipment & Software Thread

• Please log in to reply
8430 replies to this topic

#6481 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

Anyway, now-ish might be a good time to keep an eye out for a used 5DMkII if you're in the market, they should start dropping in price soon.

Here you go:

Looks like they built that full-frame 7D I've been hoping for since about three days after I bought my 7D, ha.

Now to wait for the inevitable 40% price drop within a month or two.

#6482 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 22968 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, it is just a full-frame 7D. I'm entirely sure I made the right decision between the two back then and I've not missed anything it can't do that the 7D can do. The 5D3 is better in every way it seems, but the only things that could make me spend are the (presumed) two stop improvement in ISO performance. Improved weather sealing, twin card slots and so on are nice but they're not going to draw a couple of grand out of me.

Hopefully this will mean I can get another two or three years out of it. That'd put me to a very satisfying half decade of ownership. I didn't expect to get close to that.

#6483 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

I want it I want it I want it. Don't forget the 5DMKII body was £2300 when it came out.

I get a lot of use out of the 7D focusing stuff (the zoning is really useful with fast subjects), but it sounds like you do your focusing differently and aren't much of a video person. Hence no reason at all to upgrade bar the weather sealing and dual slots.

I hope it makes the MKII go down in price, I'd probably PX my 7D for a MKII.

#6484 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 22968 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

Aim centre-point, back button focus, re-compose. When you know the shot you're going for it takes micro-seconds* extra whilst never accidentally focusing on the wrong thing - it's basically automated manual focusing rather than true auto focus. If that makes any sense at all.

I probably could have found the money if they'd done something amazing (I'm not sure what, exactly, they could have done) but I'm quite delighted I don't "have" to spend.

*Add another few micro-seconds if I'm focusing on one thing and taking a light reading somewhere else.

#6485 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

That's generally how I compose still shots, but I use the zoning and tracking for moving targets. For example if I know I want my subject in the right hand side of the image, but it's moving about a lot and I'm using a narrow DOF (which is most of the time) it comes in really handy.

The zoning I mentioned is the same principle but narrows your available focus points.

If you don't shoot moving stuff it's not very useful.

#6486 winky

winky
  • Supporters
  • 895 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

Looking for a replacement for my 50 1.4. I have read some good stuff about the sigma as an upgrade and can't justify the expense of the 50. 1.2, anyone here had any experience of the Sigma? Or am I better sticking with the canon?

#6487 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

What's the 1.4 not doing for you at the moment?

The 1.2 is great in my experience (insert nicky or rev bringing up back focus issues) but not worth the massive price hike on the 1.4.

The 35mm 1.4 is really nice too if you want something wider. If you have a cropped body it'll function similarly to using a 50mm on a full frame.

#6488 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 22968 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

If you don't shoot moving stuff it's not very useful.

Unsurprisingly, rarely. Street stuff occasionally, but between manual focus and the normal way I've only dropped two or three shots. I'm not knocking the cleverer stuff at all, I just don't need it.

Looking for a replacement for my 50 1.4. I have read some good stuff about the sigma as an upgrade and can't justify the expense of the 50. 1.2, anyone here had any experience of the Sigma? Or am I better sticking with the canon?

I've got the Sigma. (Assuming you get a good copy and that isn't the easiest thing) the Sigma is better from f1.4 to about f2.8 but then the Canon 1.4 is miles ahead from that point. So it depends what you're going to be doing. I figured for anything f4 and above I might as well have a zoom on, so went for the Sigma.

I'm happy with it.

I'd also say what Morrius said I would say, but I won't. Just to prove him wrong.

#6489 rundll

rundll
  • Members
  • 2672 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Now seems like a great time to get a Canon 5D Mk1. Seem to average about £5-600 quid.

#6490 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5831 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

What's the 1.4 not doing for you at the moment?

The 1.2 is great in my experience (insert nicky or rev bringing up back focus issues) but not worth the massive price hike on the 1.4.

The 35mm 1.4 is really nice too if you want something wider. If you have a cropped body it'll function similarly to using a 50mm on a full frame.

the only downsides to the 1.2 canon are the flaring of light sources at night, and the not worth it over the 1.4's cost

The benefit of the 1.2 (and 1.4's) was the low light performance. but with the ISO performances of cameras these days, 1.4 is plenty wide enough.

i dont know what canon 1.4's are like by the way. but i fucking bummed my Nikon 50mm 1.4. other than the slow focusing, it was utterly brilliant.

#6491 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, they're really good.

#6492 winky

winky
  • Supporters
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Thanks guys, my cannon 1.4 was dropped and it buggered the autofocus. Slightly annoying - slightly annoying and I tried to fix it myself but it's not perfect so I thought I would replace it and sell the old one on eBay for a little cash. The build is a bit cheapish although the optics are good once it's stopped down to 1.8.

If the sigma is good wide open then that's what I would want it for. A fast prime is really handy for parties and stuff. I hear the sigma is a solid lens with nice build quality so that is tempting. The only thing I was hesitant about are the issues with calibration.

I have a FF camera so I am not sure if 35mm would be a bit wide, generally I have enough space to compose shots at 50mm.

Thanks for the input :)

#6493 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 22968 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

I bought my Sigma second hand after seeing test pics - I think that is probably the best way of doing it. I still had to fiddle with it a bit, but I'm happy with it now. Not utterly perfect if you subject it to pixel peeping but I'm happy I made the right choice. The build quality is great (even if the insides aren't as consistent as try should be), it's nicely weighted. Etc.

#6494 macosx

macosx
  • Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I got my 5D mk II a few months ago but the MK3 is not a huge leap forward; still 50fps at 720p for video. They had to hamstring it really to protect the video market for the C300

#6495 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Actually it shoots 720p at 59.94fps :D

Ken Rockwell has this to say:

The 5D Mark III is the world's best Canon DSLR. It's a huge improvement over the 5D Mark II due to the image improvements from automatic color fringe correction, and the greatly improved power and depth-of-field controls. If you shoot Canon, you deserve one of these.

It's coming into the UK at £2999.99, so you can expect it to drop to £2.5k within a few months, £2k after a year and further from there.

#6496 macosx

macosx
  • Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

Yeah that framerates the NTSC flavour.

#6497 Dapple

Dapple
  • Members
  • 2036 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

It's coming into the UK at £2999.99, so you can expect it to drop to £2.5k within a few months, £2k after a year and further from there.

Ken Rockwell's hyperbole is trying at the best of times but in suggesting that revised placements for the power and DOF preview buttons are reason enough to upgrade he may well have outdone himself.

#6498 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5831 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

i still dont think its £600 more of a camera than a D800. to be honest i was expecting a lot more from the mk3. it feels like they've pulled their punches a bit. Have you guys seen the low light high ISO samples from the mk3 yet?
http://web.canon.jp/...ownloads/02.jpg
ISO 6400 it isn't particuarly great.

to balance it out a bit -

heres an unofficial 100% crop of a D800 at 6400
https://lh4.googleus...bk/s0/06400.jpg

again not great, but theres a lot being made of the mkIII's low light capability. Whereas the D800 is being pushed more towards the well lit IQ for studio and events. from those low light samples though there's not *too much* difference,

when you run both cameras images through some proper noise reduction (and scale the nikon images down to the same size as the canons) there'll be even less difference.

To me it seems to leave the only plus points about the MK3 being the focus improvements, which as far as i can tell, finally means its caught up to what Nikon have had for the past 3-4 years. I checked out the video's morrius posted earlier RE the focusing system, and it seemed to me, to now do what ive been doing on my D700 and other nikons for a good while. Albeit with a few less focus zones. But really i havent had any issue tracking or focusing with any "red ring" equivalent nikon speed lenses.

echoing some of the other points made by people in here. the best thing about the mk III is the price reductions its meant for the mk II. It means its going to be hard to resist picking up a 2nd hand mkII for video fuckaboutery.

#6499 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 22968 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

Ken Rockwell's hyperbole is trying at the best of times but in suggesting that revised placements for the power and DOF preview buttons are reason enough to upgrade he may well have outdone himself.

Equal reasoning to buy a 5D3 is:

1.) Automatic correction of lateral color fringes

(Ie. What Lightroom Does, In Exactly The Same Way, Using Profiles. Which Ken Won't Use If They're Not Pre-Loaded. Bless.)

#6500 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5831 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

Equal reasoning to buy a 5D3 is:

1.) Automatic correction of lateral color fringes

(Ie. What Lightroom Does, In Exactly The Same Way, Using Profiles. Which Ken Won't Use If They're Not Pre-Loaded. Bless.)

im sure nikons have fixed that automatically for years too. ;)

#6501 redbloodcel

redbloodcel
  • Supporters
  • 14435 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

I got my 5D mk II a few months ago but the MK3 is not a huge leap forward; still 50fps at 720p for video. They had to hamstring it really to protect the video market for the C300

I don't think the C300 does 1080p 50/60 either, but the relative worth of the C300 is a whole other discussion!

#6502 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 22968 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

im sure nikons have fixed that automatically for years too. ;)

Yeah, he said that. I think Nikon are ahead at the moment, Canon seem to have been really affected by the earthquake - everything seems a good couple of years behind.

Although in fairness, that 5D3 ISO6400 is an idiotic demonstration shot, because for the lights to appear like that you need a good 15 seconds, at least. Look at the stars in detail (especially the brighter ones) and you can see that the camera wasn't held still. Quite how you're meant to judge quality on a motion-blurred shot is ridiculous. It looks way worse than 5D2 ISO6400.

#6503 rev-happy performance

rev-happy performance
  • Members
  • 5927 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Canon's samples have historically always been a bit crappy, I'd wait for "real life testing" for any conclusions really... definitely for any RAW comparisons rather than the "2 stops improvement" jpeg's.

The Mk II should have had a kick-ass AF system of course, as far as I'm concerned, but this Mk III seems to set things straight. If only it wasn't for that price...

#6504 David Blunkett

David Blunkett
  • Members
  • 12413 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

My 24-105 is knackered AGAIN. The IS is fucked. Switch it on and it the viewfinder dances like fraggle on PCP & makes similar noises. Back to Colchester repair centre it goes on Monday.

:(

On the other front - I've picked up a second hand Sigma 150-500 that is soft as hell up to about 250 but is sharper than my 100-400 wide open - not prime sharp but pretty amazing. By F8 there is no difference. Not had a chance to try the AF yet though.

£400.

I think its my new walkaround when I can't be arsed lugging the 300 2.8.

Don't know if I want to parted from my beloved 100-400 though.

I've also cracked and ordered the 100 2.8L IS Macro - so my 77mm 50D will up in the next few days.

#6505 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 22968 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

My 24-105 is knackered AGAIN. The IS is fucked. Switch it on and it the viewfinder dances like fraggle on PCP & makes similar noises. Back to Colchester repair centre it goes on Monday.

:(

Is it in warranty? If not, how much is it going to cost? I really ought to get mine fixed. The IS is also starting to screw up on mine, in addition to the slipping aperture it's had for ages.

#6506 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, he said that. I think Nikon are ahead at the moment, Canon seem to have been really affected by the earthquake - everything seems a good couple of years behind.

Although in fairness, that 5D3 ISO6400 is an idiotic demonstration shot, because for the lights to appear like that you need a good 15 seconds, at least. Look at the stars in detail (especially the brighter ones) and you can see that the camera wasn't held still. Quite how you're meant to judge quality on a motion-blurred shot is ridiculous. It looks way worse than 5D2 ISO6400.

Yep, On all counts.

As for Nickys NIkon fanboy post, the 5DMKIII will be at least £800 cheaper in a few months (earthquake + canon tax) whereas the D800 won't be. Honestly guys, camera format wars are so, so, boring and best left out of this thread for the sake of sanity. Equivalent cameras are practically identical in the hands of a good photographer. The only reason I shoot Canon is I started with a 300D years ago :lol: If nikon had a £50 rebate on their entry level stuff I'd probably have loads of Nikon gear now. Once you've used both for a good while you realise they're depressingly similar and most of your flag waving was a waste of time.

There's no point comparing a £3k body to another similarly priced body from a different manufacturer in the real world, because anyone considering buying either will already have a stack of lenses and experience with one system or the other. In this case you just have to ask yourself if the MkIII is a good upgrade to the MkII at the cost. The answer to which is LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL and then a deep breath and then LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL again.

Having said all that, this is pretty funny

#6507 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 63556 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Why are my eyes constantly drawn to eBay auctions of second hand Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro lenses?

#6508 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5831 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yep, On all counts.

As for Nickys NIkon fanboy post, the 5DMKIII will be at least £800 cheaper in a few months (earthquake + canon tax) whereas the D800 won't be. Honestly guys, camera format wars are so, so, boring and best left out of this thread for the sake of sanity. Equivalent cameras are practically identical in the hands of a good photographer. The only reason I shoot Canon is I started with a 300D years ago :lol: If nikon had a £50 rebate on their entry level stuff I'd probably have loads of Nikon gear now. Once you've used both for a good while you realise they're depressingly similar and most of your flag waving was a waste of time.

There's no point comparing a £3k body to another similarly priced body from a different manufacturer in the real world, because anyone considering buying either will already have a stack of lenses and experience with one system or the other. In this case you just have to ask yourself if the MkIII is a good upgrade to the MkII at the cost. The answer to which is LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL and then a deep breath and then LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL again.

Having said all that, this is pretty funny

the thing is Morrius, i dont currently own any nikon gear AT ALL.Id like to know your reasoning as to why the d800 wont reduce in price. Canon werent the only company to suffer at the hands of the earthquake.

what you need to remember is, i have used both systems professionally, so its not blatant fanboyism.

as for the video, if youd have been keeping abreast of camera practices at all over the past say...5 years you'd know that this sort of thing happens all the time.

#6509 andy_s

andy_s

Rllmuk Committee Member

• Supporters
  • 16597 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Had a play with the Canon 5D Mark III at Focus on Imaging today but it is difficult to deduce much at those kind of shows, particularly as that was the busiest part of the busiest stand in there. What was interesting was a number of places had the 5D Mark II at £1099 body only which is a bargain. I would have bought it if I could afford the divorce as well.

#6510 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11468 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

That was a short beta... Lightroom 4 is now out. Not a bad price either, 100 notes.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

mindgames, furq