• Please log in to reply
8717 replies to this topic

#6451 Dork Knight

Dork Knight
  • Members
  • 13693 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

I know it's a pre-order cost, but bloody hell ~ Canon EF 24-70mm MkII

Looking at the weight I bet they could have kept it at under 1Kg if they opted for an IS version.

#6452 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24132 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Interesting quote from Dpreview on the new Canon lenses: "Ultimately, the most interesting thing about these launches is the fact that Canon feels the need to update various full-frame lenses, almost as if something likely to test the quality of its existing versions was in the offing." They stopped short of adding a knowing wink.

Have they got a high MP (30+) model in the offing?

I'd not noticed the other lenses - 4 stop IS in a 24mm F2.8 seems really weird and makes the lack of it in the 24-70mm even stranger.

#6453 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36568 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

I know it's a pre-order cost, but bloody hell ~ Canon EF 24-70mm MkII

Looking at the weight I bet they could have kept it at under 1Kg if they opted for an IS version.

It's a mental price increase on the mark one, I doubt many will pay it.

Besides, you can just upgrade your lenses for $15!

Sort of, but it's a slightly different situation with that one though, since they have the basically-the-same 24-105mm positioned below it by being f4 (and cheaper) but being better due to having IS.
I doubt it'd get much heavier and price isn't exactly something they tend to fuss about. So...Stupid.

It probably is just a quick cash-in from people who need to have the latest.

EDIT: While I'm here, Jacobs seems to have a bit of a sale on:

http://www.jacobsdig...esc&PageSize=50

They've knocked £40 off the Panasonic 20mm to make it £249 and £800 off the M9, making it the cheapest currently for both. And quite a few others as well.

I've got the 24-105, it's definitely not better than the 24-70. :(
I'm planning on switching my 7D to a 5DMKIII and switching my 24-105 to a 24-70 at some point. Or going for primes. I love primes.

#6454 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24132 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

It's a mental price increase on the mark one, I doubt many will pay it.

I've got the 24-105, it's definitely not better than the 24-70. :(
I'm planning on switching my 7D to a 5DMKIII and switching my 24-105 to a 24-70 at some point. Or going for primes. I love primes.

Yeah, I've got the 24-105 too. That's the one that I took and got fixed and now has broken again - not massively impressed and it's not perfect even when it's working. But IS is useful, loads of the time spent using the wide end won't be done wide open but despite low light. I'd probably still pick it for that reason (and size).

#6455 Penitent

Penitent
  • Members
  • 3161 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Guys, I'm looking at getting a DSLR soon and in the main I want it for photographs. Was thinking of pairing it with a 50mm f1.8 canon prime to start. I do need it to record some video though too at 1080p, though this video is only going to consist of filming a static scene with someone reading from an auto-cue for a project at work. Beyond that the video won't be used.

Could anyone suggest which Canon body would suffice for this purpose. I'm bloody clueless. Would be able to spend up to £500, and don't mind buying second hand.

#6456 Liamness

Liamness
  • Supporters
  • 11589 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

550d would do you fine, I should think.

#6457 redbloodcel

redbloodcel
  • Supporters
  • 14536 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

I was going to suggest the 550d too, should be able to get what you want for around that.

Been using my GH2 a fair bit recently whilst doing some workshops, some lovely shots but I'd really like a nice 25mm for it now. Damn them for being so expensive, the Voigtlander f0.95 one especially :(

#6458 David Blunkett

David Blunkett
  • Members
  • 12413 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

I'm still dithering about whether or not to go for a mirrorless walkaround.

In other news just ordered the new Canon 100mm L macro. We've also got badgers as well as foxes coming into the back garden at night - so I've deployed some remote trail cams. However not much luck yet as I've managed to fuck the settings up every time.

:facepalm:

Should have some results in the next few nights. Can't believe how cheap the tech is for these now.

#6459 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36568 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, I've got the 24-105 too. That's the one that I took and got fixed and now has broken again - not massively impressed and it's not perfect even when it's working. But IS is useful, loads of the time spent using the wide end won't be done wide open but despite low light. I'd probably still pick it for that reason (and size).

Gots to have my DOF man. F4.0? Bleurgh. My shots don't look nearly expensive enough unless 95% of it is out of focus.

#6460 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36568 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

Interesting quote from Dpreview on the new Canon lenses: "Ultimately, the most interesting thing about these launches is the fact that Canon feels the need to update various full-frame lenses, almost as if something likely to test the quality of its existing versions was in the offing." They stopped short of adding a knowing wink.

Have they got a high MP (30+) model in the offing?

Basically, yes. They made some mention of Canon being 'perfectly able to produce a 30+ megapixel camera' when quizzed about it in relation to the D800. It would make sense that they let Nikon shoot first, get a good look at the specs and innards, and then make sure they've got some sort of marketable advantage over the D800 before launching whatever they're prepping.

#6461 Spatial

Spatial
  • Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

The start of this year I came to the conclusion that the vast majority of my photos tends to be landscape stuff. So I've decided to go for a wide angle lens to complement - managed to snag a second hand Canon 10-22mm this week for a good price.

Reading around it seems that a variable nd filter, which would be my first choice for long exposures, is out because of the problems it will cause with irregualritues from the filters close proximity to the lens. Then again, other places seem to suggest it's less of a problem on crop sensor cameras (like my 60D).

Am I just better off getting something like a Cokin filter holder, adapter and some filters to avoid any complications / faffing about?

#6462 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11720 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

Save up for a set of lee's... I've been trough cokin and hi techs and basically, they're shit.

#6463 Spatial

Spatial
  • Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Cheers, will take a look at those. It probably will be better to go for something a bit more expensive. More reading around shows lots of mixed impressions about the Cokin holders not being up to much.

But seems any purchase is going to have to wait a little while longer - the 10-22mm turned up and it seems there was a reason it's so cheap.

The lens keeps throwing up err01 messages (clean the contacts) and when it does decide to work the image via Live View or the viewfinder is so dark you can't really see anything, even when wide open.

It won't autofocus at all.

There's a massive blob of grit or something in the mid-left section.

The focus ring sounds like it's got grit or sand in it.

Yeah, it's going back :(

#6464 David Blunkett

David Blunkett
  • Members
  • 12413 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

Save up for a set of lee's... I've been trough cokin and hi techs and basically, they're shit.

Hi techs aren't shit.

I've posted this before :

I don't get colour casts from the Hi-Techs at all. The only issue with them is they being resin will scratch (obviously glass won't). I'm sure I've posted this before in this thread - a certain landscape 'tog pro who lives down here switched me onto Hitechs. They're a lot cheaper to replace every few years than a single Lee filter which you've dropped or cracked. He endorses Lee for the money but uses Hi-Techs. Their 0.3,0.6 & 0.9 grads are superb.

Cheers, will take a look at those. It probably will be better to go for something a bit more expensive. More reading around shows lots of mixed impressions about the Cokin holders not being up to much.

But seems any purchase is going to have to wait a little while longer - the 10-22mm turned up and it seems there was a reason it's so cheap.

The lens keeps throwing up err01 messages (clean the contacts) and when it does decide to work the image via Live View or the viewfinder is so dark you can't really see anything, even when wide open.

It won't autofocus at all.

There's a massive blob of grit or something in the mid-left section.

The focus ring sounds like it's got grit or sand in it.

Yeah, it's going back :(

That sucks :(

I wouldn't buy anything second hand. I've had enough new kit fuck up (40D, 24-105 TWICE, Sigma 10-20). At least with "new" you get a warranty. I'm sure with second hand prices being almost the same as new for lenses that a lot of people keep all the boxes etc immaculate and put them up on ebay once the warranty runs out.

What did condition did they say the lens was in ? If it was anything other than for spares/repair then that's clealry fraudulent.

#6465 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24132 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hi techs aren't shit.

I've posted this before :

I wouldn't buy anything second hand. I've had enough new kit fuck up (40D, 24-105 TWICE, Sigma 10-20). At least with "new" you get a warranty. I'm sure with second hand prices being almost the same as new for lenses that a lot of people keep all the boxes etc immaculate and put them up on ebay once the warranty runs out.

What did condition did they say the lens was in ? If it was anything other than for spares/repair then that's clealry fraudulent.

It depends who you're buying from, really. For Sigma lenses I've bought them all second-hand as it's an easier way of getting a decent version - plus they don't hold their value at all. And firmly touching wood, I've not had any problems at all. The 5D2 and 24-105mm bought new have both broken though.

#6466 David Blunkett

David Blunkett
  • Members
  • 12413 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

It depends who you're buying from, really. For Sigma lenses I've bought them all second-hand as it's an easier way of getting a decent version - plus they don't hold their value at all. And firmly touching wood, I've not had any problems at all. The 5D2 and 24-105mm bought new have both broken though.

Fair enough for cheaper kit like Sigma or Tokina that don't hold their value, plus like you say its a good way of getting a decent copy of a Sigma. Their QA is still shocking. Paying £600+ for a second hand 24-105 though is madness.

#6467 Spatial

Spatial
  • Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

It did say it was in good external condition (which it was) and good optical condition (which it wasn't).

To be fair to the seller he got back to me straight away when I emailed him and was really, really apologetic. Told me to send it back straight away for a full refund. Bit of a pain to sort out (as the post round here is arse-backwards), but rather that than a "not my problem" response.

While I've bought second hand lenses on occasions before and not had any bother, I think this is a bit of a lesson learned and proof of the old adage that if something seems to good to be true, then it usually is.

Just have to source another one now. Having only managed to take two or three (very crappy) shots with the thing when trying it out, I really liked the effect the ultra wide gives. Can see me using it a fair bit so I think I'll just pony up for a new one off Amazon (which seem to be the cheapest place at the moment).

#6468 David Blunkett

David Blunkett
  • Members
  • 12413 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

Its a cracking lens. For some reason despite it costing pretty much the same as the 17-40L Canon don't bother to include the lens hood. Well worth picking up a third party one for a couple of quid - makes a difference to contrast and flare especially in bright light.

#6469 winky

winky
  • Supporters
  • 901 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

For Iceland I'm taking (on FF also) 16-35 (rented), 24-105, 50mm and gorillapod. If it wasn't for the landscapes it'd probably be just the 24-105 and the 50, so I think you're probably fine.

And don't worry about people telling you to stop taking photographs. Just tell them what you're doing calmly and confidently and offer to show them on the screen. If they're being aggressive move to a safe distance and phone the police.

sorry a bit late, thanks for the input. If I am a little flush, I may get something wider - will wait and see. I am thinking of replacing the 50 like for like and selling the damaged one on ebay (optics are fine, just the AF that is a bit mangled)

#6470 fragglerock

fragglerock
  • Supporters
  • 8545 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

The comments on that page make me want to stab people!

#6471 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36568 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Canonrumours are reporting that the specs for the new 5D are locked-in, and confirmed to be:
  • 22mp
  • 61pt AF
  • 100% VF
  • 3.2″ LCD
  • Dual CF/SD Card Slots
  • Price: Around $3500 USD
  • Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)
There's also a new Canon lens coming in, the 590ex, replacing the 580exII.

#6472 rev-happy performance

rev-happy performance
  • Members
  • 5950 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Saw that, I guess at 3500 dollars (which undoubtedly translates to 3500 euros) it's not going to replace my 7D any time soon.... :(

Sounds good if they've actually improved the AF this time, 22MP is more than enough as well for most things I imagine.

#6473 rundll

rundll
  • Members
  • 2676 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Got a load of film developing equipment in. But coffee based! "Caffenol" as it goes by. Already exposed some 120 film on a TLR, and going to try out a few 35mm films on an old camera I have lying around. If it is enjoyable enough it might lean me towards the slightly more attainable Leica M6.

#6474 Spatial

Spatial
  • Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

My new 10-22mm turned up today.

This one might be brand new, as opposed to second hand like the other one, but it looks... different. It could be a trick of the mind but the external surfaces don't look as cheap as the previous one. I'm hesitant to say it looks more expensive (because obviously it was) but it looks like its made of better quality materials.

While that could be all in my head, one thing that isn't is the gold contacts at the base of the lens are different. On the last one they were solid blocks of around three or four - I thought that was strange at the time. This new one has two larger blocks followed by the smaller ones, like most of the standard modern lenses I've seen.

Was there a previous version of the 10-22mm? Or was the other one a knock off - does such a thing even exist?

Anyway, this one works perfect so far - auto-focuses in a snap too. Can't wait to try it out properly.

#6475 David Blunkett

David Blunkett
  • Members
  • 12413 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

I've not heard of "fake" Canon lenses before - I wonder if it had a dodgy repair job ?

Should look like this :

Posted Image

Build quality is excellent - it feels like an "L" even though it isn't. Don't forget to look for a hood for it as well :)

Here's the trailcam footage - not bad for a sub £100 piece of kit I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AdNvQ6Aemy8

#6476 Spatial

Spatial
  • Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hood already obtained :)

The new one looks like that picture, but the other one didn't at all - it had only the wider contacts which are on the left hand side of that picture, rather than any of the single dot types. Wish I'd taken a picture now to show it, but didn't think too much of it at the time as the of guy was happy to take it back.

If the contacts were wrong it would totally explain why the lens and camera wouldn't talk to each other properly.

Oh and nice badger btw :D

#6477 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36568 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

It's cumface time:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6478 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24132 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Canonrumours are reporting that the specs for the new 5D are locked-in, and confirmed to be:

• 22mp
  • 61pt AF
  • 100% VF
  • 3.2″ LCD
  • Dual CF/SD Card Slots
  • Price: Around $3500 USD
  • Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)
There's also a new Canon lens coming in, the 590ex, replacing the 580exII.

I won't be able to justify that at all. I literally only use the centre AF point, I've never really had a problem with the viewfinder. And I don't bother with video, which I presume will get all the 7D stuff at least.

How dull.

#6479 Dapple

Dapple
  • Members
  • 2046 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hot on the heels of the 36MP Nikon D800 is a 41MP model from...Nokia.

http://www.dpreview....ith-41MP-sensor

#6480 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36568 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

I won't be able to justify that at all. I literally only use the centre AF point, I've never really had a problem with the viewfinder. And I don't bother with video, which I presume will get all the 7D stuff at least.

How dull.

What did you expect from it?!

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users