there is a review , cant you see it .
It says "buy it" .

thats good enough for me

#8 Dork Knight

Dork Knight
  • Members
  • 13693 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:05 PM

All I can see is you requesting Reviews rather than posting them, therefore I thought it would be nice if you would post your Review/Impression of the Game :(

#9 jonnycash

jonnycash
  • Members
  • 1443 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

All I can see is you requesting Reviews rather than posting them, therefore I thought it would be nice if you would post your Review/Impression of the Game :(

will post a review when i have played it a bit more

#10 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

Viva Pinata - A couple of hours in By Moosey.

Sim games aren't my thing, really. The whole open ended, cultivate, protect, build mechanic in games doesn't float my boat mainly due to me having little time for games that require a lot of attention (or, more likely, my attrocious attention span) so it's with a little trepidation I go into Viva Pinata.
From the outset, even before putting it into the machine, I love the aesthetics of it. The colours, the names of the Pinata's, the stupid plastic kiddie based box, all pure Rare, pure 'blue skies in gaming'. It's delightful.
Into the game (past the eye bleeding, ear grinding intro) and onto flattening out the garden and getting rid of debris, in between talking to the tutorial girl. (Note: Smacking things with a shovel is incredibly satisfying :( ) At this point you get your first visitor to your garden, a Whirlm. This is the same for everyone, it's part of the tutorial so to speak and leads you into requirements for getting visitors and making them residents.
Then you get another Whrilm, the romancing starts (procreating mingames FTW) and all sorts of Pinatas are attracted to your garden by you planting grass, seeds attained from a character named Seedos and the joy of growing your garden begins proper, as more Pinatas that are attracted require more convoluted requirements for them becoming residents.
Throughout this first hour or so you get introduced to -
- Willy Builder (he builds your Pinata houses, necessary for romancing)
- Fanny Frankem (post mistress, she holds your presents from Xbox Live friends and sends yours)
- Costalots (forgot her name but shes a stroppy cow that sells seeds, fence, food and other gubbins for the garden)
- Gretchen Fetchem (for a fee will find any Pinata you've had in your garden)

I think thats it for the NPC's.
There's also baddies in the form of Sour Pinatas that run havok in your garden and eat other pinatas. You can spang them with the spade or try to tame them, which is nice if you can find teh right way to stop the causing chaos. That's about it for teh mechanics I think, here's what I think:

I like it. It's got bags and bags of charm, the graphics and animation are typically full of little touches and the music is nice and english summer garden-ey. The voice overs, however, are uber fucking annoying so they got switched off early.
As to the gameplay, well, it got pretty hectic pretty quick. If you're like me and feel the need to try and keep every Pinata that visits and keep them all happy and cram too much into your garden it gets too confusing and made me really frustrated, especially as my Pinata's have just started getting sick.
Also money isn't easy to come by for me, so I may be missing something, or just haven't found a cashcow yet. However, after watching Iza play, it seems the way to go is to make a few gardens as you keep all the XP from what you've made so far and can have a few different gardens with different Pinata (like Buzzlegums and have a Honey garden, good money spinner). I think this may be the way to go with Viva Pinata as teh garden expansions don't seem massive and, like I say, I don't think cramming everything into the garden is the way to go.

So, I don't think it's going to change my mind about 'god games'. There isn't an incredible amount of micro management by the simple fact the gardens aren't the same size as a city or a continent, but the juggling of Pinata happiness, watering flowers, gathering produce (all of which you can hire people to do, but that also requires management) keeping the baddies away and tending to sick Pinatas all requires a lot of concentration. More time required, but I'd definately recommend it if only for a rental to make your own mind up.

Many apologies for the shit formatting, paragraphs aren't my strong point and it's been a while since G.C.S.E English :(

#11 Mr Majestyk

Mr Majestyk
  • Members
  • 2622 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:04 PM

Viva Pinata is brill! You can waste hours on it! Simple, easy to pick up and appeals to me as I'm not big into these type of games. Oh and the cartoon on live has my kid in stitches. The only problem is splitting my time between Pinata and Gears of War.

#12 erhgiez

erhgiez
  • Members
  • 1312 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:47 PM

This game doesnt punish you enough, its very hard to mess up, I started many a garden after thinking I had screwed up the last one as it wasnt "perfect" in my eyes, but then I grew LOADS of toadstools thinking "garden gnome" nice toadstools and all my pinatas ate them then got smashed to bits by dastardos and STILL i managed to pull it back together from having gone from 20+ pinatas to under 5, no joke though all the toadstools matured at the same time and every bloody pinata starts making a mad dash towards, it was a true darth vader "NOOOOO" moment

and has anyone else had willy builder tell them that he was "knocking off today, and yesterday, and the day before that" wtf? this is meant to be a family game! I dont want WILLY telling me when he beats one off

#13 deKay

deKay
  • Supporters
  • 34831 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:31 PM

Can I pimp my review? No? Oh.

http://lofi-gaming.o...ame.php?id=1421

#14 Wiper

Wiper
  • Committee Member
  • 15264 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:19 AM

This game is great!

Until the bugs ruin it for you (me). Then it's a pile of shite.

#15 erhgiez

erhgiez
  • Members
  • 1312 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

Quite early on in the game I got a "your garden is full" message, when in my eyes there was still loads of space for stuff, it kinda annoyed me, as most things in my garden had a purpose!

#16 ipodboy61

ipodboy61
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:34 AM

i tryed gettig the demo for this but than it figures out to be that it is just a interactive movie,, man for get this game

#17 dizogg

dizogg
  • Members
  • 21369 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

Because you downloaded the wrong thing?

#18 Das

Das
  • Members
  • 9061 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:36 AM

man for get this game

What does that actually mean?

#19 Jim Miles

Jim Miles
  • Members
  • 13785 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:03 PM

Planting, murdering, incest.

:unsure: And true too, strangely.

#20 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 107318 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

easy to get into, difficult to get out of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users