Amazing Bollywood Music!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26080 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:21 AM

The more I get into Bollywood films, the more I am constantly blown away by the wonderful music. Particularly stuff from the early eighties and nineties. It's so different from the sort of music I traditionally listen to, and yet the production is very similar in a lot of ways to that same music. There's so much of it too, that I think no matter what sort of music you like, there's something out there that you'll feel.

I guess that unless you're a UK Asian, you don't get to hear much of it in this country, unless it's through modern interpretations like Talvin Singh. So I'm going to upload stuff from time to time that I've come across, and hopefully some of you will get into it too. I'd love to hear other people's reccomendations as well, I know I'm not the only Bollywood fan on the forum!

The first track that I'll post is called 'Kehna Hi Kya' ('What Is There To Say'). It's from a film called 'Bombay' (1995), from a wedding scene. The vocals on this are just stunningly beautiful, and it's got a great drum sound. Even a bit of accordian too! The soundtrack of this film has sold 40 million copies, which I think is pretty incredible, really. A sumptuous treat for the ears. Listen, learn and love!

:P

#2 phresh

phresh
  • Members
  • 7573 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:17 PM

There are a couple of great Bollywood compilations called "Bombay The Hard Way". Music is mostly from the 70's (I think) and has some extra beats added by DJ Shadow. Some seriously funky stuff on there.

#3 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26080 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:45 AM

Did you listen to the tune?

#4 phresh

phresh
  • Members
  • 7573 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, quite nice but not really my thing to be honest. Certainly doesn't have the ear piercing treble like a lot of bollywood tunes though, definately a bonus.

#5 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12131 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:17 PM

It's not really much like bollywood, but I like the more classical end of the injun spectrum. I'm just in the door from a Sitar & Tablas gig with this fella on the sitar. It was amazing!!!

The tune is good Zok, keep em coming. Anything a bit more energetic?

#6 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:27 PM

I really quite liked that track too Zok, more please :unsure:

#7 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26080 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:42 PM

Great! I'm glad it's tickled a few fancies. I've got a few more in mind that I'll probably stick up after the weekend.

#8 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26080 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:02 AM

Here for your listening pleasure is are a couple of crazy Bollywood disco stompers. The first is from the film 'Armaan' (1981), it's apparently the story of 'Casablanca' set against the struggle for Goan independence in the 1960s. Whatever, you may like it because it suddenly turns into a Hindi version of Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love' in the middle. I like it because of the excellent chorus and rocking beat.

Rambha Ho Ho Ho - Usha Uthup and Chorus

Peep the sleeve!

Posted Image

Next is a classic from Asha Bhosle, one of the most prolific Bollywood singers. I love her voice, and this is just great. Chunky beat, great keyboards and strings, beautiful vocals. From the film 'Lootmar' (1980).

Jab Chaye - Asha Bhosle

#9 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26080 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:53 PM

It's worth blowing the dust off this ancient thread to post this, currently my most favourite Bollywood tune.

Lata Mangeshkar and Mukesh iirc, but whoever it is, it's pure romance. For the first time probably since I started this thread Aap Jaase Koi has been knocked off the top slot.

Wonderful.

#10 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10669 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:07 PM

Total magic.

My mate's mum used to listen to tapes of Bollywood songs whilst we were playing Goldeneye around the back of the shop. It's times like this I wish I'd paid a bit more attention.

#11 K.P.

K.P.
  • Supporters
  • 4034 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

More like that please Zok. I don't usually go for Bollywood music (or films) but that is great.

#12 hub2

hub2
  • Members
  • 14223 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

On an A.R.Rahman tip as well (and a bit obvious) but I love 'Mumbai Theme Tune' ever since I bought the Rebirth of Cool Volume 7(?) about 12 years ago...

Beautiful.

#13 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26080 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:27 AM

I'm going to replace the above links with Youtubes if possible, as the originals have expired. Also worth checking Spotify for these tracks if anyone likes them, it's great for Bollywood.

Here's another one I love, from the fil Aashiqui. Two fun facts!

1) this is on Singstar Bollywood

2) Poor Anu lives in the 'Working Girls Hostel'.

#14 K.P.

K.P.
  • Supporters
  • 4034 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

I like this song, that I found on Spotify:

[yt]FupSr4L8LMI[/yt]

#15 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay
  • Members
  • 7946 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

I was alerted to the existence of this tune earlier. A 1985 version of Herbie Hancock's Rockit. Keep your eyes peeled for the woman dancing on top of a stuffed leopard and the man drinking from an oversized comedy bottle of booze.

#16 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26080 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

Amazing!

There are loads of Bollywood rip-offs of tunes, what I like about them is that they always stand up in their own right.

Here's a classic while I'm here that I saw linked to on the same Youtube page, Lata Mangeshkar and Shabbir Kumar knocking out a wicked tune from the equally brilliant Betaab.

Great example of what I like to think of as the Bollywood/Mariachi style that seemed to dominate the Eighties. Horns, strings, synths, would work just as well in a western.

As for this one...

Kishore Kumar sings OM SHANTI OM! Brilliant video, brilliant music, brilliant singing. Disco and Electro in a massive eight minute pot, simmered to perfection. Wonderful, wonderful Rishi Kapoor is the actor.

#17 88h88

88h88
  • Members
  • 11220 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

Ever since it was shown at the start of Ghostworld I've loved this:

#18 Skid Lee B Bop

Skid Lee B Bop
  • Supporters
  • 3516 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Haven't listened to it, but this has just gone up on Paris DJ's blog.

http://www.parisdjs....ld-Disco-Dandia

#19 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26080 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

No idea why I haven't posted this yet, as I intimated above this is my favourite Bollywood tune. From Qurbani in 1980:

Sung by Nazia Hassan, who was from Pakistan, and did a load of stuff with disco producer Biddu - hence the sound. She was an amazing singer, probably would have eclipsed both Lata Mangeshkar and Ashe Bhosle, but she died young.

#20 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23724 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I was alerted to the existence of this tune earlier. A 1985 version of Herbie Hancock's Rockit. Keep your eyes peeled for the woman dancing on top of a stuffed leopard and the man drinking from an oversized comedy bottle of booze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf2adMG_AKQ

:lol: at the "turntablism" at 3:33. Fuck a Grandmixer DST!

So good, I had to share it on the Facebook page for this great wee club in Glasgow, Wild Combination (every Tuesday at Nice N Sleazy's, y'all!). Another member replied with this absolute belter:

Arpeggiator / strings combo flattens buildings and decapitates the residents.

#21 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay
  • Members
  • 7946 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

Haha, that's amazing. Totally relentless. You should check out Charanjit Singh. The guy was making crazy acid house records in India around 1982.

#22 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23724 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

It's funny, but a friend of mine sent that to me last year or the one before, making the exact same point about it predating acid house. Amazing stuff.

#23 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay
  • Members
  • 7946 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

In a totally different style, but this is amazing. I bet whatever film this came from is a classic cast of thousands piece of work.

It's a bit trimmed down here but the full thing's on Spotify.

#24 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26080 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hehe, it's from Bobby, which is one of the all time classic Seventies movies.

#25 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay
  • Members
  • 7946 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Is there a subtitled version of it, or is that not essential? Having listened to the soundtrack I think it's looking like a must view.

#26 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26080 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Yes there is a subbed version, however with Bollywood movies, subtitling can be a bit of an afterthought, especially oldies like that. Let's just say these aren't Criterion releases!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users