Final Fantasy X 2

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_G2off_*

Guest_G2off_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:29 AM

First of all, let me give you a brief history of the Final Fantasy games before I get to the crust of this game. (Massive spoilers)

Final Fantasy VII: The first mass-medium Final Fantasy, exclusive to the groundbreaking PSX.
Despite me never being really intuitive with the series, I respect what this game offered.
It brought the Final Fantasy series into the 21st century and was arguably the reason Playstation became the best selling house-hold named console in the world.
Cloud's incredible journey to prevent Sephiroth (who Cloud was a clone of) from becoming ''one with The Planet'', then the cosmos, by first killing the Ancients; was an unforgettable experience to Critiques and gamers alike.
The game is known as the Final Fantasy game that had the magic the others did'nt.

Final Fantasy VIII: Final Fantasy VIII was a postmodern militarized love story, Squall Lionheart was a student of a Mercenarie training school known as the Galbadia Garden.
Final Fantasy VIII introduced the excellent very simple and easy-to-use Junction system that allowed the players to 'Junction' items and weapons to Summoner Monsters, knows as GFS (Guardian forces), that made it easy for players to never run out of magic, which were'nt infinite but spells had to be 'drawn' from Random battles.
It was also the first game to introduce Guns to the series

Final Fantasy IX: Known as the black Sheep in the series and set thousands of years before Final Fantasy VII, FFIX tried to recreate the feel of the Nes' Final Fantasy games.
Square ignored all the Evolutions of the last two games and all that was left cannot be called anything less than dated and a complete let-down.

Final Fantasy X: Despite being a return to the Mature side of the series, it still did'nt get all the gears.
The lack of exploration, too many cutscenes and an over-complicated 'Sphere Grid' system prevented the series from getting new players and bringing older players back, whom abondened the series with IX.

So onto Final Fantasy X 2, the next game in the series and a true addition unlike FFXI: Online.
Published by EA in Europe, I can safely say both EA did a great job of publishing this and SquareSoft did a great job of making it.
Kudos to them, this is the best sequel since VII.
This game returns the series to the right path and achieves even more.
Square learnt from their mistakes and made this game a free-roaming, cinematic, Mature and brilliant Masterpiece.
Playing as high Summoner Yuna, the herorine from the first game, with the aid of Sassy Rikku and the familar goth-chick Paine, as a member of the world-known Gullwings, your mission is to retrieve Hologram displayers known as Spheres.
Only by Tracing these Spheres can the History of the World of Spira be fully realized and the secrets of the past will reunite Yuna with her lost-long-love Tidus aka Shuyin.

Yuna's new airship, the Celcius, players can travel to all the places in the first game, in any order they want.
The journey will take Yuna across old battle fields, electrified canyons, summer-breeze villages strung by bridges, religious metropolises and giant trees.
Not only are all the good places from the first game in this but a lot of new resorts too, its bang for your buck and like two games in one.

The mini games featured make the world more immersive and bring new life to Spira that makes revisiting places fun; for example Gunner's Gauntlet is an incredibly intense shooting mini-game, in possession a pair of guns, the High Summoner must travel the paths of Besaid and run for her goal on the beach, if she doesn't beat the current high score she automatically loses -- having to repeat the process all over again.
The only way to beat the requirement, however, is to rack up combination points by filling your combo meter and blasting your enemies with pistols without getting hit.
All the while finding ways to replenish your bullets, earn special shots, and make it to the beach in time, if you want a source of pure unadulterated fun, look no further than here.
Among the genius mini-games include, fiend racing, Blitzball Management and the LeBlanc Syndicate Body Rubbing.
The Dress Sphere system replaces the tedious Sphere Grid sytem from the prequel, using Dress Spheres the three main protagonists change their abilities and magic depending on what clothes you choose to groom them with.
The Singer Sphere will allow you to pulverize the enemies with the power of dance, the Gun Sphere let you go trigger-happy against fiends, the Samurai Sphere allow your ladies to have the strength to pick up Masamune swords.
This is an innovative system that makes the turbulent and seemingly never-ending customizable abilities easy to navigate through yet makes the game ever more stylish.

One of the great qualaties of this game is its portrayal of women, pleasantly surprisingly this game is very feminime unlike the first game which was much more macho with meatheads like Auron, Wakka and Kimahri dominating the main parts of the game.
It's the opposite of the previous game but what were the cynics who moaned about the game expecting?
Doom and Gloom?
After saving the World from the evil Seymour in the last game, expect feminism, partying and feel-goodness to be about whereabouts Yuna is now the most respected individual in the blossoming world.

Althought I was never into long hour sessiong in table-top Rpgs, FIFA, 21-to-Life, Grand Turismo 4: Prologue getting in the way aswell as my social life,
I understand and appreciate the feminism, diversity and originality this game significantly brings to the gaming market and to the industry itself.
Final Fantay X 2 is Unlike games like The Legend of Zelda and Metal Gear Solid with women like Meryl Silverberg and Princess Zelda who were just Damsels in Distress, FFX 2 is'nt a politically incorrect 17th century fairy tale.
The girls are strong, heroric and courageous yet don't lose any sexiness and passion for it unlike G.I. Jane.
This is a revolutionary game and the Gunner's Gauntlet mini-game is great.

9/10

G2off.

#2 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19677 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:52 AM

Hehe, I was so expecting to have to come in here and be nasty to you, but no! A good score. Altohugh FFX2 is so great it deserves like a million/ten.
Oh, and for the 2nd time in 5 minutes i've seen FFXI dismissed as "not a true addition to the series". Of course it is. It could easily work as a single player game too. I love how they tried something different, ike they did with this. :wub:

#3 Guest_G2off_*

Guest_G2off_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

Oh, and for the 2nd time in 5 minutes i've seen FFXI dismissed as "not a true addition to the series". Of course it is. It could easily work as a single player game too.

That's like saying a Sonic game would still be a Sonic game if you played Mario instead.
I may not be a Final Fantaseer but it's common sense Final Fantasy has allways been about a long journey, strategic combat (turn-based), cutscenes and an important emphasis on a
Heaven versus Hell story, FFXI has neither of them.
It was always blantely a cheap gamer's World of Warcraft in my opinion and chatting with people who are preteding to be elves from the other side of the Pacific is not the kind of think Final Fantaseers really want to do, let alone me.
It's an untrue Final Fantasy.

#4 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19677 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

That's like saying a Sonic game would still be a Sonic game if you played Mario instead.
I may not be a Final Fantaseer but it's common sense Final Fantasy has allways been about a long journey, strategic combat (turn-based), cutscenes and an important emphasis on a
It was always blantely a cheap gamer's World of Warcraft in my opinion and chatting with people who are preteding to be elves from the other side of the Pacific is not the kind of think Final Fantaseers really want to do, let alone me.
It's an untrue Final Fantasy.

:lol:

What's a cheap gamer?

#5 PC Master Race

PC Master Race
  • Supporters
  • 23135 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

rofl

XI certainly has all of this and more.

p.s. FFXI came out years before WoW. :) I guess you are a "cheap gamer" seeing as you didnt even know those simple facts.

#6 Guest_G2off_*

Guest_G2off_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:42 PM

I'm a expensive gamer actually also I've played XI on my PC through Royale BroadBand International and it was'nt a journey like the other gamers or one big journey, it was missions.
There was'nt much of a devilry threat like Sephiroth either which I was hoping, the villians from XI have more in common with David Bowie from Labyrinth.

It does'nt have cinematic cutscenes not including introduction movie, there is no proper character development due to most are actually 17 year old players (according to polls).
The fighting is not strategic for the typical player, where an advanced other player does all the work for you and you won't get a dig in and ironically any potential of challenge is gone when your levels get finally advanced from retrieving left over experience points.
Online Rpgs are'nt that bad, I'm not saying FFXI is'nt a bad game, its illogical wherever FFXI was released first, its ok sometimes but at the end of the day it's just not a true Final Fantasy.

#7 Kentetsu

Kentetsu
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:23 AM

you odbviously havnt played FFXI for more than a week if that, there are tonnes of cs's, it takes a tremendous amount of skill and strategies to complete those missions/ quests, once you hit lvl25 it all starts unless you are a lazy gamer and dont bother to do anything but lvl your character. When you reach the highest lvl everything doesnt just become incredibally easy to do, there are still monsters that can kill you in one hit, there are God's in an area which you wont be able to reach till your lvl65 atleast with a group of 18 of u and you fight them, and many many more things you can do at higher lvls to keep yourself interested for years. As for impending doom from enemies, i wont give too much of a spoiler but there is, Shadow Lord the evil leader of the Beastmen that wants to kill everyone, theres the Zilartians with a head boss that wants their ancient kingdom to rise again in its glory and get rid of non believers, Bahumat comes into play through the Chains of Promithia expansion pack who wants to wipe out all of Altana's children (everyone) because they know something they shouldnt and theres the new Expansion pack Treasures of Aht Urgan which i havnt explored yet but i'm sure we are all about to die :P they already have an on going battle in the game where the enemys in Aht Urgan attack the central city there and everyone can band together to fight them off, and we do ^^. (All these things arent just chucked in there, there is an underlying story which ties EVERYTHING together)
I'm not tryin to tell you off or nothing, thats not my intention. Basically it's like life, if you dont go out and look for the adventure then what kind of life are you gonna have?
I've played many of the online games out there, WoW was fun but too easy, i got to lvl60 in 2 weeks and after 5 months got Grand Marshal status which only one person on the server can have at a time and thats for a week, but in the end its the challenge and the complexity of Final Fantasy that brought me back, it makes a good gamer out of you :P
wow this post is long :( so i hope you reconsider about FFXI and give it a real go, a helpful high lvl Linkshell always helps :)

#8 ___

___
  • Members
  • 14260 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:39 AM

you odbviously havnt played FFXI for more than a week if that, there are tonnes of cs's, it takes a tremendous amount of skill and strategies to complete those missions/ quests, once you hit lvl25 it all starts unless you are a lazy gamer and dont bother to do anything but lvl your character. When you reach the highest lvl everything doesnt just become incredibally easy to do, there are still monsters that can kill you in one hit, there are God's in an area which you wont be able to reach till your lvl65 atleast with a group of 18 of u and you fight them, and many many more things you can do at higher lvls to keep yourself interested for years. As for impending doom from enemies, i wont give too much of a spoiler but there is, Shadow Lord the evil leader of the Beastmen that wants to kill everyone, theres the Zilartians with a head boss that wants their ancient kingdom to rise again in its glory and get rid of non believers, Bahumat comes into play through the Chains of Promithia expansion pack who wants to wipe out all of Altana's children (everyone) because they know something they shouldnt and theres the new Expansion pack Treasures of Aht Urgan which i havnt explored yet but i'm sure we are all about to die :P they already have an on going battle in the game where the enemys in Aht Urgan attack the central city there and everyone can band together to fight them off, and we do ^^. (All these things arent just chucked in there, there is an underlying story which ties EVERYTHING together)
I'm not tryin to tell you off or nothing, thats not my intention. Basically it's like life, if you dont go out and look for the adventure then what kind of life are you gonna have?
I've played many of the online games out there, WoW was fun but too easy, i got to lvl60 in 2 weeks and after 5 months got Grand Marshal status which only one person on the server can have at a time and thats for a week, but in the end its the challenge and the complexity of Final Fantasy that brought me back, it makes a good gamer out of you :P
wow this post is long :( so i hope you reconsider about FFXI and give it a real go, a helpful high lvl Linkshell always helps :)

Why do I get the feeling that when you say "a week", you mean "168 hours"? :(

#9 Mallet

Mallet
  • Members
  • 3604 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

I've played many of the online games out there, WoW was fun but too easy, i got to lvl60 in 2 weeks and after 5 months got Grand Marshal status which only one person on the server can have at a time and thats for a week,

This is just wrong, but you're entitled to your opinion. A FF x-2 review turns into a WoW vs FFxi debate :)

Back ot, I enjoyed FF x-2 alot even though it was supposedley a "chick" game. I never really understood all the slating it got tbh.

#10 Clyde

Clyde
  • Supporters
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

This is just wrong, but you're entitled to your opinion. A FF x-2 review turns into a WoW vs FFxi debate :)

Back ot, I enjoyed FF x-2 alot even though it was supposedley a "chick" game. I never really understood all the slating it got tbh.

I haven't played it but my brother did and he didn't like the idea of having a sequel to Final Fantasy X. The main thing that annoyed him is that he said it never properly explained how Tidus managed to come back. To be honest, I think it should be left at FFX. The ending was different to other Final Fantasy games and unoriginal but they had to make a sequel to make it all happy days in the end.

#11 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19677 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:36 AM

Uhm, it isn't actually Tidus...

#12 DoctorEgo

DoctorEgo
  • Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:17 AM

I stopped playing after, in response to things all going to shit and the threat of war breaking out, Yuna and chums decide the thing to do, the one course of action they can take to sort things out...is to organise a sodding music concert. I liked the vibe of the game, and really enjoyed the cheesy as all hell FMV intro, but it was really getting sickly sweet by that stage, and my patience with it was exhausted.

#13 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19677 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:25 AM

Yunapalooza is fucking awesome.
It's kinda like when David Hasselhof performed at the tearing down of the berlin wall.

#14 Ed-E

Ed-E
  • Members
  • 10730 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

God, I love this game big big lots. I've still never played more than five hours of it, though.

#15 Joj

Joj
  • Members
  • 1032 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:41 PM

The incoherent rambler is correct! FFXI is a pants excuse as one of the true series. In that you are drip fed a wafer thin plotline as reward for entire weeks at a time spent on grind-type levelling and missions. It's story utterly fails to immerse the player.

Spotty teenagers, roleplaying or no, will never display the kind of complex character development that a genuine (numbered) final fantasy game promises.

The actual meat of this game exists in the realms of micro-management and level grinding, which is admittedly what one should expect from a MMORPG, although executed in a much more enjoyable package in other MMORPGs, particularly the likes of WoW. But then, even if it was up to this kind of standard, it's still in too different a camp, genre-wise, to be considered one of the core series. Nobody thought that the World of Warcraft should actually be Warcraft 4 did they?

I gave a good 8 months to the delusion that this game might actually pick up at higher levels, but in my opinion it really doesn't. My opinion aside, it clearly fails to match the criteria of a numbered final fantasy game. It's deserving of no more than a spin-off type subtitle, maybe like the final fantasy tactic games*

*which are actually quite good ;)

#16 champloo

champloo
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

I thought the battle system was great - actually my favourite FF battle system, possibly after Tactics. But the cutscenes, music, everything else in fact, really was cringe-worthy.

Still who plays Final Fantasy games for the stories... ;)

#17 Lanark

Lanark
  • Members
  • 3817 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

It's story utterly fails to immerse the player.

Complete and utter bollocks. The story is superb in FFXI. Some of the most memorable and well constructed cut scenes of any game I've played. Unlike WoW and other MMO's, you actually feel an integral part of the gaming world rather than an incidental participant.

#18 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19677 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

Complete and utter bollocks. The story is superb in FFXI. Some of the most memorable and well constructed cut scenes of any game I've played. Unlike WoW and other MMO's, you actually feel an integral part of the gaming world rather than an incidental participant.

I did one of my rank missions yesterday, and my new title is ace, really makes me feel involved with my country. :)
I have to go and do a BCNM to help out my nation, and it really makes feel all patriotic. Lovely Windurst. Lovely Star Sibyl. :ph34r:
The CoP storyline is immense and could easily be the plot of an offline FF, which is why earlier in this thread I was saying it does deserve to be part of the series.
Also, the early Zilart missions are just stunning, cut scene wise.
Oh, and lets not forget the Time Travelling Knight quest, which is amazing. And all the ones in Tavnazian Safehold, which really brings home the sense of separation and loss these people cut off from the world feel and what they suffered through. Finding the dead girls bracelet and taking it back to her grieving parents is really quite moving.
Edit: I forgot the Magicite / Shadowlord stuff! That's totally sweet. The bit in Castle Oztroja made me cry. :)

#19 Lanark

Lanark
  • Members
  • 3817 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:26 AM

I did one of my rank missions yesterday, and my new title is "Hero on behalf of Windurst". :)
I have to go and do a BCNM against a ton of Yagudo heroes, and make sure Windurst win so they don't have to increase their offerings to the Yagudo.
The CoP storyline is immense and could easily be the plot of an offline FF, which is why earlier in this thread I was saying it does deserve to be part of the series.
Also, the early Zilart missions are just stunning, cut scene wise.
Oh, and lets not forget the Time Travelling Knight quest, which is amazing. And all the ones in Tavnazian Safehold, which really brings home the sense of separation and loss these people cut off from the world feel and what they suffered through. Finding the dead girls bracelet and taking it back to her grieving parents is really quite moving.
Edit: I forgot the Magicite / Shadowlord stuff! That's totally sweet. The bit in Castle Oztroja made me cry. :)

Are you Rank 7 now then? Oh, and spoilers please. I am a citizen of the mighty Windurst as well! :ph34r:

Yeah, the Magicite CS were ace. Especially the scene with the yags. Oh and poor Fickie! :(

#20 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19677 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

Oh crap, sorry! I just didn't think. {Please forgive me}
I've edited it btw. You quoted the spoilers. :ph34r:

#21 GViper

GViper
  • Members
  • 6241 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:17 PM

forget his comments about FFXI, what about his comments about VIII and IX!?
Junction system? It was AWFUL. Too easy. Hmm, lets just stock up on ultimas and be invincible! Oh, also, if i'm good at the card game, I don't have to bother with the last dungeon. I can just be invincible.

FFIX had engaging characters, and original and entertaining storyline, a not amazing but solid battle system with a return to 4 player battling and fixed job classes.

I could argue all day but i'm tired.

#22 Wintermute

Wintermute
  • Members
  • 3002 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:28 AM

Mate, there's no point in arguing with a troll months after the fact. I'd be amazed if he was still here to argue back.

For the record, I agree. VIII is shit and XI is fantastic, if only for Chocobo Hot and Cold.

And I've just realised I'm replying to a two day old post that's a reply to a banned idiot. Time for bed...

#23 Gloomy Andy

Gloomy Andy
  • Members
  • 3435 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:11 AM

For the record, I agree. VIII is shit and XI is fantastic, if only for Chocobo Hot and Cold.

Erm I take it that is a typeo.

Although ... XI has recently had the chocobo Hot and Cold game added, that you can play with your own self raised Chocobo ...

But you mean IX yeah? Surely you're not playing XI

#24 Wintermute

Wintermute
  • Members
  • 3002 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

But you mean IX yeah? Surely you're not playing XI

Yes and hell no respectively. I beg forgiveness, it was late and beer was involved. I'm taking Roman Numeral lessons as we speak.

The inclusion of Hot and Cold in XI is interesting though, I played that for hours.

#25 GViper

GViper
  • Members
  • 6241 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:27 PM

I love chocobo hot and cold.
And moogles.

#26 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19677 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

Well, FFXI is the game for you!
You get a moogle in your house:

Posted Image

And you can breed chocobos of your own, then use them to play hot and cold! :(

Posted Image

#27 Lanark

Lanark
  • Members
  • 3817 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:24 PM

I want a mini game where you get to fire your Moogle out of a cannon. You could get bonus points for hitting beastmen along the way.

#28 Ed-E

Ed-E
  • Members
  • 10730 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

Spotty teenagers, roleplaying or no, will never display the kind of complex character development that a genuine (numbered) final fantasy game promises.

You might have a point, if the latest numbered Final Fantasy hadn't managed to not only fail to develop characters but also any notion of a storyline either.

#29 PC Master Race

PC Master Race
  • Supporters
  • 23135 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:15 PM

CoP story is epic. Hands down the best story line in any game I have played.

Spoiler

#30 Number 28

Number 28
  • Members
  • 13005 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

This review reads like a wind up. It sounds like you need to play all these games again... :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users