Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
essell

dosbox: getting it to run faster?

5 posts in this topic

i finally figured out how to actually run games on dosbox last night [much simpler than i thought, doh], but playing virtual snooker, i'm only getting about 15fps.

I know it says in the readme that it's still a work in progress and they know it can only emulate at around the speed of a 486 etc, but is there really nothing I can do to speed things up, other than playing with the frame skip and cycles settings?

i finally figured out how to actually run games on dosbox last night [much simpler than i thought, doh], but playing virtual snooker, i'm only getting about 15fps.

I know it says in the readme that it's still a work in progress and they know it can only emulate at around the speed of a 486 etc, but is there really nothing I can do to speed things up, other than playing with the frame skip and cycles settings?

Increasing the cycles should help. I think you press [ctrl][F11] or similar, it's in the readme.

You might also want to look at D-Fend. It's a front end for running DosBox, which might have further options.

Edit: You really do have to increase the cycles a lot of times to make a significant difference.

I can't wait for dosbox to emulate a Pentium class computer. DVE (Vectrex dos-based emulator, recommended spec, Pentium) runs flawlessly but slooow.

Have you tried Virtual PC? Microsoft bought Connectix a year or two ago and made it free to download. It handles most DOS games that I've tried. Unfortunately, the Windows version doesn't have 3DFX support like the Mac version.

CTRL-F12 is the daddy. I thought it was running Ultima Underworld like shite until I noticed you could alter the speed of the machine it's emulating. <_<