dosbox: getting it to run faster?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 essell

essell
  • Members
  • 2508 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:04 PM

i finally figured out how to actually run games on dosbox last night [much simpler than i thought, doh], but playing virtual snooker, i'm only getting about 15fps.

I know it says in the readme that it's still a work in progress and they know it can only emulate at around the speed of a 486 etc, but is there really nothing I can do to speed things up, other than playing with the frame skip and cycles settings?

#2 christaylor

christaylor
  • Supporters
  • 10758 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

i finally figured out how to actually run games on dosbox last night [much simpler than i thought, doh], but playing virtual snooker, i'm only getting about 15fps.

I know it says in the readme that it's still a work in progress and they know it can only emulate at around the speed of a 486 etc, but is there really nothing I can do to speed things up, other than playing with the frame skip and cycles settings?

Increasing the cycles should help. I think you press [ctrl][F11] or similar, it's in the readme.

You might also want to look at D-Fend. It's a front end for running DosBox, which might have further options.

Edit: You really do have to increase the cycles a lot of times to make a significant difference.

#3 amorenod

amorenod
  • Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:59 PM

I can't wait for dosbox to emulate a Pentium class computer. DVE (Vectrex dos-based emulator, recommended spec, Pentium) runs flawlessly but slooow.

#4 knightbeat

knightbeat
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

Have you tried Virtual PC? Microsoft bought Connectix a year or two ago and made it free to download. It handles most DOS games that I've tried. Unfortunately, the Windows version doesn't have 3DFX support like the Mac version.

#5 Dr Derek Doctors

Dr Derek Doctors
  • Members
  • 2439 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:49 AM

CTRL-F12 is the daddy. I thought it was running Ultima Underworld like shite until I noticed you could alter the speed of the machine it's emulating. <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users