Action 360 PC

• Please log in to reply
2210 replies to this topic

#2101 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Smitty, if you didn't get or like the ending I would recommend the two DLC packs. They pick up where the game left off and the first one is more combat focussed, but the second one is very very good and sets things up nicely for Alan Wake 2 9if it is ever released). The ending to the second DLC left me a bit like this : :omg: (The PC version has the DLC included for free btw)

Does the standard version get the DLC? I dont see it as a selectable option yet. Maybe you have to finish the game first?

Either way, the PC version has me in love with this game all over again. Id forgotten just how much i loved it. Everything about it, the soundtrack, the crazy plot, the twin peaks/stephen king influences, everything. One of my favourite games ever, made even better by now looking like one of the most impressive games ever. I thought it looked great on 360, but at the back of my mind i was always like "god damn i wish this was out on PC, itd look incredible", i was not wrong :D

#2102 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17795 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yes, every version of Alan Wake on the PC has the DLC included :) Maybe you have to finish the main game first, I have no idea, but it is definitely in there.

#2103 daveodeth

daveodeth
  • Members
  • 6507 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

God damn bugs, Come across 2 show stoppers so far. Chapter 2 I'm on the "make it through the woods" objective. There is supposed to be a truck in the garage and nothing, also I can't complete the objective either. Piss poor for a game this old to have scripting issues like this,

#2104 Sie

Sie
  • Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Yes, every version of Alan Wake on the PC has the DLC included :) Maybe you have to finish the main game first, I have no idea, but it is definitely in there.

The DLC is hidden away in the Episodes option on the main menu.

I've only just finished the game myself about 15 minutes ago. I found first half or so of the game much stronger narratively than the latter half where the plot starts to become a bit muddy but it never stops looking and sounding amazing. It just oozes atmosphere. Didn't encounter any bugs or other technical issues either. Great game, so glad I avoided reading anything about it until I got around to playing it.

#2105 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

God damn bugs, Come across 2 show stoppers so far. Chapter 2 I'm on the "make it through the woods" objective. There is supposed to be a truck in the garage and nothing, also I can't complete the objective either. Piss poor for a game this old to have scripting issues like this,

Are you sure youre at the right place? Key is in the toilets, and the truck is sitting with its headlights blazing in the garage across from it?

#2106 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

http://forum.alanwak...read.php?t=7943

Pretty cool thank you from the CEO of remedy to the fans for making Alan wake the top selling game on steam over the weekend :)
Also it was posted in the steam thread, but wake PC has recouped its advertising and development fees in 24 hours of sales!

#2107 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 23865 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

What the! Finally this out on PC?! I never got round to it on 360 - whay! :D

#2108 Smitty

Smitty
  • Members
  • 68906 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Does this require a beast of a graphics card?

#2109 PC Master Race

PC Master Race
  • Supporters
  • 23109 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Upcoming patch notes: http://forum.alanwak...read.php?t=7978

Hopefully add a free camera for those who want to explore the world

#2110 Gizamaluke

Gizamaluke
  • Supporters
  • 4077 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

F**k me! I picked this up on a whim, expecting a decent horror yarn looking ok at 1080p seeing as it's a two year old 360 game. As a big fan of Stephen King this is like the game I always wanted - ok so Mr Wake is a bit of a dick - but what a fucking port! I was not expecting this level of visual polish at all - it looks just breathtaking.

Dear Esther, then this - *hugs PC*

#2111 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Upcoming patch notes: http://forum.alanwak...read.php?t=7978

Posted Image

OH GOD YES!!

Does this require a beast of a graphics card?

It requires a decent setup, not top of the line, but on my gaming PC i can almost max the game @ 1680x1050 resolution on a 4870 1gb. I get about 30 FPS average.

#2112 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

This is nuts. The section where you get off the ferry, thats all you see in game, but it looks like the entire town is modelled, just never got used. Love to know how this guy got into it

#2113 Wahwah*

Wahwah*
  • Supporters
  • 23833 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

This is nuts. The section where you get off the ferry, thats all you see in game, but it looks like the entire town is modelled, just never got used. Love to know how this guy got into it

I recognised most of those places, they're used with night lighting effects later in the game.

#2114 Down by Law

Down by Law
  • Members
  • 3645 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

On Chapter 5 on the 360 version, it's possible to jump over an invisible wall after the main strip and check out some of the unused buildings like the museum. It's been a long time since I did it, but i've no doubt it's on youtube somewhere

got it

#2115 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 23865 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Holy shit this is the first game my PC has started giving my overheat/overclock artifacts while playing.. My GPU temp is hitting the roof. NOT EVEN CRYSIS DID THAT. :lol:

I am enjoying it though, just wish I had some melee ability or something.

#2116 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36397 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

I forgot this game turns terrible when it starts flinging random objects at you :(

#2117 Down by Law

Down by Law
  • Members
  • 3645 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

I forgot this game turns terrible when it starts flinging random objects at you :(

Don't you mean 'off the hook motherfucking amazing as every inanimate object suddenly becomes a threat'?

#2118 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36397 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

Uh, no. Lol, you really think that? It's an awful lazy choice. The idea itself amounts to recycling assets as enemies, and the implementation is rubbish, as Alan bounces wildly off static items which havent begun to move yet and ineffectually dodges like an inflatable wavy arms tube man in a gale. It ain't just me though, a lot of people thought it was shit back when it came out on console.

On another note, I just did the 30 minute mad dash from the mine to the lookout. It was quite fun, watching wheezy old Alan run out of puff every five seconds. Never mind fight with light, the dude needs to stop lighting up marlboros and get an inhaler :lol:

#2119 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17795 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

At no point did I think the game turned terrible, I loved it all the way to the end :D

#2120 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36397 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Try playing it on nightmare, you'll quickly notice how much it enjoys endlessly spawning stuff one foot behind you :hmm:

Also there are four cutscenes in a row which end when Alan falls/jumps off something. He even makes a joke about it after the third time and you think 'ha, how meta' and then they do it again :lol:

There's a funny manuscript hidden in nightmare mode, it reads:

Spoiler

#2121 Down by Law

Down by Law
  • Members
  • 3645 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

yeah but over 60% of the games total shit right? seeing as the poltergeists show up in chapter
Spoiler

That first segment underneath the bridge was a proper pant shitting moment when you had to question whether the ground you walked on was safe or not. Not to mention the thick fog rolling in and the sound of chains rattling against metal, so atmospheric. That's when the game really picked up for me and gripped me until the end, certainly not 'turn terrible'

That's one thing i love about Remedy, they might not have the most cutting edge tech but the gameworlds they create drip atmosphere and look like real places, there's no knee high cover in sight, everythings totally grounded in reality making for a really compelling experience.

#2122 parrapatheslapper

parrapatheslapper
  • Members
  • 2512 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

Just started the PC version of this after always wanting to give it a try - im only on the 2nd chapter but its pretty special atmosphere wise - even the combat seems ok.

#2123 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Wake is fantastic from start to finish. There is no shit part.

#2124 flight

flight
  • Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

Picked this up on Steam today and just blasted through the first 2 chapters - really like it so far.

Story wears it's influences on it's sleeve and is enjoyably corny so far. Gunplay is fun as well although I hope repetition doesn't set in.

As mentioned it looks absolutely amazing and runs really well to boot. Think a trip to the screenshots thread is in order.

#2125 Sie

Sie
  • Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Oh I dunno about that. The shit parts were a bit shit.

#2126 Down by Law

Down by Law
  • Members
  • 3645 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

Damn straight, tied with Mass Effect 2 for best game of 2010 hands down, I couldn't call it.

#2127 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17795 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:18 AM

Well then I will call it: Alan Wake.

#2128 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Well then I will call it: Alan Wake.

Posted Image

#2129 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36397 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

Oh I dunno about that. The shit parts were a bit shit.

That's just it. There are a couple of shit bits, always gameplay related, which are quite annoying on higher difficulties. They're prominently noticeable because most of the game is absolutely fantastic.

The two problems it has, very specifically, are the game spawning enemies directly behind you and most of the poltergeist bits. The stuff spawning behind you simply isn't an issue on normal unless you're really terrible at the game, but on higher difficulties you can check an area, see nothing there, turn around to combat another enemy and then immediately lose half your health to someone slashing at you from behind. And it happens all the time. For my latest playthrough I know when to horde flashbangs and flares for upcoming encounters, and I know how to get through most encounters with my back to the wall. But still, it's a dumb choice. I also hate Alan's geriatric running ability, which will often leave you getting slashed up in a moment in which you're meant to be running for the next checkpoint. The dodge is also fairly ineffective when they're directly behind you, which makes for some really unfortunate Benny Hill spanner chucking moments.

As for the poltergeist stuff, it's an obvious way to add some extra enemies without having to do much in the way of animation or AI. They just about sell it considering the Stephen King influence, but only just. Sort of like Stephen King I guess :D Often items will come to life in such a timing sequence that you can't avoid one without the other hitting you a moment later, and you don't have long enough to vanish either with your flashlight. The bridge bits are a good example of this. Again, it's fine on normal, but watch someone try to do those sequences on nightmare if you want to see what true agony looks like :lol:

I don't want to sound too negative though, I absolutely love Remedy and I really love Alan Wake. It's smart, beautiful, knowing, fun, spooky, brilliantly original and extremely compelling. The presentation and production are top notch, putting the majority of other games this generation to shame. I love the fiction, the mix of Twin Peaks/Stephen King, the story within a story within a story headfucking, the ripe winking-at-camera dialogue and writing, the great atmosphere and the mostly well crafted enemy encounters. I really like the extended fiction too, like the stuff which came with the collectors edition and the series of short films they made prior to release.

For shame, I haven't played either of the DLCs yet, or American Nightmare. That's why I'm busting through the first game again. Can't wait to get stuck into some brand new Wake. If all goes to plan I'll finish it tonight and start the DLC episodes.

Edit: I guess it's a bit like Max Payne. Even to this day there are people who swear the bit with the red line and the baby crying wasn't a bit shit.

#2130 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Beta for the second patch (no, me neither :D )
Add the ”-beta AWBeta” command in your Steam client shortcut, restart steam, then when you try to start alan wake you'll download the update

-Fixed crashes when using alt-tab to change out of the during loading
-Fixed DEVICE_CREATE_ERROR for users who have “custom DPI” set in Windows. (Workaround: start game with command line switches, e.g. -w1280 -h720 -window)
-Fixed “File IO Failure” issue when unable to write to My Documents (+ add some safeguards).
-Add Latin-American Localization support (download the DLC depot and start with -locale=esm)
-Fix Cursor Key / Numpad assignment issues
-Removed autoaim that was accidentally enabled
-Improved low level mouse reading routines to make the control cope better with low and variable frame rates. -This also removes the reported jerkiness when -rigidcamera was enabled. You may need to re-adjust your mouse sensitivity in the menus!
-Added -directaiming command line parameter that removes all mouse acceleration (enables also -rigidcamera automatically); this may be added to the in-game menus in a later patch.
-Remember camera side preference (tab key)
-Fix screen brightness back to original when changing process
-Fix “back” and Return to Game functionality so that it doesn’t need 3 presses

Three cheers for remedy, showing how it's done.

edit: The -directaiming launch option works perfectly :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Action, 360, PC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users