Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gwynster

Action
Alan Wake: Tramp gamers, take a hike!

2,234 posts in this topic

According to a demonstration at the Intel Developer Forum, Alan wake will need at least a dual-core PC to run due to it implementing 5 seperate threads for each element of its runtime.

It is, of course, a 360 game as well - but the real implication here is that we finally have a practical example of 360 development leading to focused multi-core PC development. Oblivion did this too, but ended up only really running on one core on the PC.

I really don't know what to think, though. As a primarily PC-based gamer, I usually find it more comfortable to play console adaptations on my PC (when they come out) than to go buy the console itself, but this is really implying that in order to get the best out of the game, I'd need to drop Gs on a Quad Core processor and a PC to go with it.

Only a year ago people laughed if you tried to claim that single core AMDs weren't the only way to go for gaming. Now it turns out they'll be useless for Alan Wake, as well as theoretically anything else developed for multi-core consoles. GRATE.

It'll happen eventually, but I would have thought the adoption rate of dual-core processors at this point in time is far too low for a move like this to be commercially viable.

Well it was just expected, I suppose. Things move on and dual cores seem popular right now so anyone waiting to upgrade when Vista comes out will probably only have dual cores available to buy anyway. The minimum specs are being raised quite quickly though :)

Mind you, it's only one game, and might not be amazing (it looks pretty good to me).

Well, double the fun=double the power, shurely?

It's just the way of the future, I suppose. Some games are there to drive the technology forward and Alan Wake seems as good a bet as any. I wouldn't mind seeing some actual game footage before I splash out, though.

Well, double the fun=double the power, shurely?

It's just the way of the future, I suppose. Some games are there to drive the technology forward and Alan Wake seems as good a bet as any. I wouldn't mind seeing some actual game footage before I splash out, though.

I think they'll be showing some footage at X06 which starts today.

Footage

Quality aint great but check out the real-time hurricane! :)

Weather effects are gorgeous. Extra core looks worth it.

Footage

Quality aint great but check out the real-time hurricane! :)

Weather effects are gorgeous. Extra core looks worth it.

Blimey, really looking forward to seeing some hi def footage of that. Is this a 360 / PC exclusive at the moment?

Looking very impressive, apart from that mincing little run he does.

360 version it is then, hopefully they won't have to neuteur it too much.

It's published by Microsoft, so it'll remain a 360/PC exclusive.

Hot damn, that video looks incredible! Very nice, graphically.

Nice, but I want to see some gaming footage, man. Explain what a 'psychological action thriller is'*. Is it about running away from tornadoes and getting into lighthouses before the sun goes down?

*Dictionary definition: a game where your weapon inventory excludes rocket launcher.

I'm hoping that it means "Nothing but those drug/dream sequences from Max Payne" :)

It could be a bit like Silent Hill or Broken Sword or something? Like a story-driven adventure which happens to have a huge open world.

Does look pretty damn good technically (apart from the walking).

An upgrade for Vista was inevitable anyway.

Vista, with DirectX 10 and the latest hardware is easily going to blow away the Xbo360 and PS3 from a graphics point (just look at Crysis). There's going to be an upgrade frenzy with every PC gamer currently holding off on upgrades, all biding their time till Vista. And with Vista and this massive hardware upgrade will come graphics that we never thought possible just a year ago.

I'm hoping that it means "Nothing but those drug/dream sequences from Max Payne" :)

As long as it's filled to the brim with MP like quality i'll be happy.

...You're in a video game Max!

And with Vista and this massive hardware upgrade will come graphics that we never thought possible just a year ago.

To be fair, just a year ago everyone thought the GRAW footage was FMV and screenshots from PGR3 were real photos...

An upgrade for Vista was inevitable anyway.

Vista, with DirectX 10 and the latest hardware is easily going to blow away the Xbo360 and PS3 from a graphics point (just look at Crysis). There's going to be an upgrade frenzy with every PC gamer currently holding off on upgrades, all biding their time till Vista. And with Vista and this massive hardware upgrade will come graphics that we never thought possible just a year ago.

:D

Yeah, I can see everyone fiendishly upgrading their computers to be able to run it whilst people with 360's just chuckle to themselves.

do they mention if AMD dual core processors will be able to run it, during this Intel presentation?

You guys sure know how to make understatements. That engine is incredible. The scale, real-time effects, lighting....detail.

do they mention if AMD dual core processors will be able to run it, during this Intel presentation?

Just any dual-or-quad-core platform I would imagine. They say that a hyperthreaded P4 could possibly manage it, but no promises.

Looks like I'll be waiting for the quad core Core 2 Extreme, then.

Or buy it on my 360, which is looking like the cheaper alternative.

:(

Yeah, I can see everyone fiendishly upgrading their computers to be able to run it whilst people with 360's just chuckle to themselves.

Eh, it's the price you pay for better graphics and better controls.

But for me, I'm playing games less and less AND I'll be buying a house early next year, so I won't have the money for a new PC let alone a PS3 or X360...Probably.

That looks better than anything else I've seen announced for both X360 and the PS3.