The HD/Blu-ray Thread

• Please log in to reply
8373 replies to this topic

#8011 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19282 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

If that is the case then just ignore my Criterion suggestion. This site is useful to find out with releases are region free or not.

#8012 Pochacco

Pochacco
  • Members
  • 9412 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks chaps - much obliged.

#8013 JohnC

JohnC
  • Supporters
  • 42248 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

This passed me by whenever it was announced. Bond 50th anniversary box set. The 22 movies so far, released in October. £90 on Amazon.

#8014 Pochacco

Pochacco
  • Members
  • 9412 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

Just popped to my local HMV and managed to pick up Harry Potter The Complete 8-Film Collection (11 Disc set) for only 19.99

I only picked it up as I was browsing the movies and the missus had nothing to do but got to watching HP on the screen in store and expressed an interest in seeing it. Since I hadn't seen any of them myself I had a look around and was stunned by the price since the RRP is around 44.99!

#8015 JohnC

JohnC
  • Supporters
  • 42248 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

They may be clearing stock of HP. I read something last year about WB deleting all previously released HP releases, including your set which was only coming out at the time, at the end of 2011 in preparation for new collections this year.

#8016 milko

milko
  • Members
  • 8968 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

How many of you bought that Toshiba BDX1200 that lets you change region for blu-rays? I'm on my (fucking) fourth one now and I still can't get it to work properly. This time before I touched any firmware I tested one of the discs I knew caused problems with the last machines. It worked! So I installed the firmware. It no longer works! I'd be grateful if anyone could test any of the following sample of blu-rays I had nearby (and look, the shit ones were free OK :) )

1. 3:10 to Yuma UK region locked. Worked before update, now doesn't.
2. Kill Bill vol 2 UK unlocked. Doesn't work.
3. Big Trouble In Little China US unlocked. Works whatever region player is set to.
4. Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides UK unlocked. Works!
5. Children of Men UK unlocked. Worked before update, now loads some pre-menu screens then fails.
6. Criterion Collection Solaris US locked. Doesn't work.
7. There Will be Blood US unlocked. Works.
8. No Country For Old Men US unlocked. Works.
9. Dark City US locked. Works if region set to A.

If I try putting UK firmware back on it, it has exactly the same problems (except of course I can't play the US-locked discs). My head is well and truly 'done in'.

#8017 JohnC

JohnC
  • Supporters
  • 42248 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've not had any such problems, but I don't have any of the discs you've had problems with either.

#8018 milko

milko
  • Members
  • 8968 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'll see what else I can test with tonight, that was as far as I could go without smashing the thing to pieces I'm so pissed off with it!

#8019 Smoothy

Smoothy
  • Members
  • 25864 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

This passed me by whenever it was announced. Bond 50th anniversary box set. The 22 movies so far, released in October. 90 on Amazon.

Bastards. I got the "Bond 21" DVD set a couple of Christmases ago. This is the sort of thing I'd really want instead :(

Just popped to my local HMV and managed to pick up Harry Potter The Complete 8-Film Collection (11 Disc set) for only 19.99

I only picked it up as I was browsing the movies and the missus had nothing to do but got to watching HP on the screen in store and expressed an interest in seeing it. Since I hadn't seen any of them myself I had a look around and was stunned by the price since the RRP is around 44.99!

I was thinking about getting it when Amazon advertised on the TV that it was 25 (I think other shops were selling it for 30+). I haven't seen the last two, but 20-30 just to get the last two, let alone all eight, sounds like a bargain.

#8020 milko

milko
  • Members
  • 8968 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

More disc-testing on my BDX1200. Please, anyone, try to duplicate my results and hopefully fail?

District 9 - fail (brief loading screen before stop)
The Godfather - fail
Letters from Iwo Jima - works!
Toy Story - works!
Inglorious Basterds - fail
2001 A Space Odyssey - fail
Tekkonkinkreet - fail

It seems I can play discs from Disney (pirates and toy story) and Warner Bros (letters). But nothing by Universal, Lionsgate, Sony or Paramount among others.

#8021 JohnC

JohnC
  • Supporters
  • 42248 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

I tried whatever of your fails I have
District 9 (UK) - Works in both region settings
Inglorious Basterds (UK) - Works in both region settings
2001 (US) - Works in both region settings
Tekkonkinkreet (UK) - Works in both region settings

Weird that you've had the problem with 4 players and I not at all. I've played plenty of releases from the studios you are having problems with since I got it too. Are you certain it's the 1200 firmware you put on and not the 3200? I'm not sure it's even possible to put on the wrong one though.

#8022 milko

milko
  • Members
  • 8968 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'm as certain as can be. Compared the '8520' screen with people on avforums and it says the same thing too. It's from this post which only contains the 1200 firmware.
http://www.avforums....762-post41.html

Seems pretty hard to get wrong! Thanks for confirming, anyway.

#8023 Gorf King

Gorf King
  • Members
  • 11540 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

Also, my Annie Hall/Manhattan BDs shipped from LA today. I have a feeling the quality won't be 'all that', but I'll post my verdict when I've watched them, if anyone's interested but hasn't pulled the trigger yet. As long as they're not upscales or excessively tampered with I'll be happy enough.

They arrived today, at spectacular speed. I haven't actually watched them through yet - just checked them to see if they work - but since there's nothing yet out there by way of review I thought I'd provide what little info I can in case anyone's sitting on the fence about buying them whilst mixing a metaphor and simultaneously chomping at the bit. (I've no idea when they'll be released over here.)

Neither film has any extras or features (bar theatrical trailers, which the DVDs have, and as you'd expect from Allen's films). It's a shame - or maybe a blessing, given the quality of many I've seen - that despite the director's reticence there aren't any essays, or reflections, or, well, anything. But there you go, and no surprise. DVD 0 - BD 0. The English soundtracks to both are DTS-HD and in mono. I did a back to back between the Manhattan DVD or BD, and the BD does seem clearer, but there's not much in it and what there is could be down to my amp's setup and my speakers' characteristics. Both are decent enough for mono tracks. 1 all probably, as you can't score half a goal in this sort of contest.

Which only leaves PQ. Annie Hall seems (from memory) marginally clearer and more natural-looking than the DVDs I've seen, but I haven't got the DVD to do a back-to-back. What the BD does have is some noticeable flicker, which may well be present on the DVD too, but such is the gentle caress of wistful memory that I can't remember it. I can't ever remember things like that unless they're horribly intrusive, and they're not horribly intrusive here on the BD, and I don't recall ever scrutinising Annie Hall for PQ defects before so they might have been there all along. It'd be like scouring your beloved's face for signs of acne. But here I did, and I spotted it, pun intended. So there you have it: it probably just bears the same imperfections as the DVD release(s), but the harsh light of geekdom has weighed heavily on it in this era of extreme technical scrutiny, and found it flawed. Still probably one apiece to the old and new tech.

With Manhattan, I did do a DVD/BD back-to-back for the opening few scenes. A bit like comparing badly-taken photos of your wife's arse at different ages and trying to decide for the benefit of posterity (pun again intended) which arse age was better ("). Here the facelifted arse wins out by a whisker. B/W films always seem to benefit most from simple res enhancements - I guess it's the stock, the lighting, the focus on clear detail - and Manhattan just looks better as a set of moving images than Annie Hall, so it shows up better on BD. The difference in detail resolution and in colour (monochrome) depth was noticeable, though not striking. It just felt a bit deeper, a bit clearer, and a bit more alive. Tangible, but not overwhelming. There didn't appear to be any edge enhancement, or haloing, or anything else untoward in what I watched of either film.

I've appended a couple of zoomed-in pics of a deliberately unlovely scene, one from the (PS3-upscaled) DVD, one from the BD, for comparison. Both were shot terribly badly, with an SLR pointed at a plasma in a dim room, as I've no capture card. Both look awful, and nothing like what the scenes actually resemble; both are serrated with horrible artefacts caused by the camera interacting with the TV's refresh, and then by the jpegginess. But they might be useful in that if you realise the DVD actually does look lovely, when you see the enhanced level of detail (look at the sign on the bridge) of the BD, and its better depth (look at the grille bars on the foreground building), you can imagine that the BD looks indisputably lovelier still. So despite the crap photos and the crap review, what you have in the BD of Manhattan is an already gorgeously beautiful B/W love poem made even more beautiful, and which this review will always fail to do justice.

So ultimately the score is Manhattan DVD 10, Manhattan BD 10 + impossible beauty - whatever technical quibbles you'd like to throw at it if you're brain dead, or simply marginally misguided like me. Buy the BDs, watch the films, and smash the camera you stupidly pointed at the TV in order to attempt to capture some imagined technical difference between joy and ecstasy. Leave that to the film maker.

I'm sure there'll be a more exacting review along in due course. Here are the shit photos.

DVD
Attached File  Manhattan DVD.jpg   290.98KB   4 downloads

BD
Attached File  Manhattan BD.jpg   353.87KB   5 downloads

EDIT: All that waffle, and I forgot to add the thing I wanted to say first, as it's probably the only bit of useful info I have: the US discs are both region-free. And they're cheap. Enjoy.

#8024 milko

milko
  • Members
  • 8968 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

So I finally got my player working. For the offchance that anybody else runs into this, you need to disable 'CEC' in the system settings for it to work on a Pioneer telly. Apparently it's something related to HDMI control (ie tv-remote-controlling-player stuff). Two questions I have remain unanswered: 1. Why does this only seem to effect certain discs, particularly UK ones? 2. Why is it default off when you buy the player but default on when you upgrade the firmware?

Anyway, by gosh that was annoying. But I have it working and the happiness that has caused is making me care a lot less about the questions.

#8025 CarloOos

CarloOos
  • Supporters
  • 6925 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

Posted Image

:lol: What the fuck!?

#8026 Hulot

Hulot
  • Members
  • 2097 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Horrid, isn't it?

Masters of Cinema's releases for April through to June, in addition to Ruggles of Red Gap:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Coming in 2013: Dreyer's Passion de Jeanne d'Arc.

Whilst we're on Mizoguchi, inter alia, it would appear that that Artificial Eye BR set of his work actually does exist. From nought to eight HD releases in a single week - not bad for Kenji, not bad at all.

Posted Image

#8027 JohnC

JohnC
  • Supporters
  • 42248 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Picked up Two-lane Blacktop and stuck the disc in to try it out. But I had the player set to the wrong region, so got their interesting region lock screen
Posted Image

#8028 Sabreman

Sabreman
  • Members
  • 18075 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Double Indemnity: High trousers in high definition.

#8029 DC07

DC07
  • Members
  • 7945 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

Just watched Melancholia. I give it my top movie rating of 2 Kirsten Dunst nipples in HD out of 2.

#8030 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19282 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hopko designs have made a new 30th Anniversary poster for E.T. and it seems like it might be used for the Blu-Ray release (the wording on some of the blogs isn't exactly clear on this though).

Attached File  et-30thanniversary-blu-ray-hopko.jpg   94.39KB   0 downloads

A lot of sites seem to really like it, surely I can't be the only person who think it looks ugly as sin.

#8031 Sabreman

Sabreman
  • Members
  • 18075 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Top half is alright, but the lower part is proper lazy Photoshop.

#8032 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19282 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

What's wrong with the iconic poster image though?

#8033 JohnC

JohnC
  • Supporters
  • 42248 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

Properly bad work with the colours that shan't be mentioned and they way they're trying to light people with them.

#8034 womblingfree

womblingfree
  • Members
  • 16826 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Didn't Spielberg say he was releasing the original ET and not the CGI fuck-up version? That would be a treat.

#8035 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19282 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Yes he did. He also promised not to mess with any of his other films either.

#8036 womblingfree

womblingfree
  • Members
  • 16826 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yes he did. He also promised not to mess with any of his other films either.

Faith in humanity restored a little.

I don't mind a little tinkering to smooth out rough edges, or to genuinely try to restore the directors original vision. Sorry George Lucas, I'm not buying that as your excuse, especially when the ADYWAN version puts Lucas to shame. Works well in Aliens, and the final Blade Runner version is a masterclass in polishing an original to perfection.

Wasn't there a version of ET before the CGI version that added a few scenes, most notably interior shots of ET's spaceship?

#8037 Staplehead!

Staplehead!
  • Members
  • 15625 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

That was Close Encounters of the Third Kind; apparently Columbia would only let Spielerg release a director's cut if he added shots of Richard Dreyfuss inside the mothership, but he never wanted them there in the first place, so whilst the Special Edition from the 80s has those shots he got rid of them again when he did the Collector's Edition in the late 90s.

#8038 DC07

DC07
  • Members
  • 7945 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

What's wrong with the iconic poster image though?

Absolutely nothing. Originals are nearly always best.

Posted Image

They got a lot wrong in the 80s, but damn they were good at poster/VHS box designs.

#8039 aidey6

aidey6
  • Supporters
  • 3155 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

http://geek-news.mtv...case-mcfarlane/

Toy Fair 2012: Exclusive Look at AMC's "The Walking Dead" DVD Case From McFarlane Toys

Posted 2/10/12 11:30 am ET by Lemonjuice McGee in First Look, McFarlane Toys, TV, Toy Fair

Posted Image

Posted Image

You know what we can never have enough of? The rotting heads of freshly decapitated zombies, that's what! They are not only versatile when decorating your home, but can really add a touch of class to any joint! That's why we're excited to bring you this exclusive first look at AMC's "The Walking Dead" Season 2 DVD case from our friends at McFarlane Toys! This version of the case, featuring a screwdriver-skewered head atop the show's logo, will be available with the Special Edition Blu-Ray. While comparing it to the Blu-Ray packaging hidden in the neck means that this sucker isn't quite life-size, the sheer grossness of the thing totally makes up for it! Just look at those teeth! The prototype for the case will be featured at the McFarlane toys booth during Toy Fair, along with a number of other zombie-related goodies. And it's all just in time for the eagerly awaited second half of season 2!

Read on for more photos and info on this screwdriver-afflicted case:

Posted Image
Posted Image

THE WALKING DEAD: SEASON 2 - SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY featuring an exclusive zombie statue case created by McFarlane Toys. Based on an actual television zombie bust designed by Emmy™ Award-winning Special Effects Make-up Supervisor and Co-Executive Producer, Greg Nicotero and KNB EFX Group. Distributed by Anchor Bay Entertainment. "The Walking Dead" airs Sundays at 9pm on AMC. For more information visit AMCTV.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Stay tuned to MTV Geek! for all your McFarlane Toys and "The Walking Dead" coverage from Toy Fair 2012!

Posted Image

Well that's hardly likely to be on the sideboard in view of my 10 yr old daughter, certainly a unique looking case though......

#8040 Hulot

Hulot
  • Members
  • 2097 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

May:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On DVD only: an Eclipse set of the work of Robert Downey Sr., featuring Babo 73, Chafed Elbows, No More Excuses (co-dir. by Robert Soukis), Putney Swope and Two Tons of Turquoise to Taos Tonight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users