• Please log in to reply
3555 replies to this topic

#1 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25586 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

Off we go then.

The powers that be (i.e, acidbearboy and myself) have decided it's about time we had a monthly dance music thread where we can all recommend different tracks from any spectrum of dance without the thread turning into a bitch-fest. Ideally, it would be cool if as many people as possible would just pop along and promote the tracks they think deserve a listen to this month. It would also be a plus point if those of us that put together mixes sometimes could upload them here.

So I'm going to start. Here be a mix I put together especially for this thread this morning. As a result, it's a bit of a rough cut, and I'd probably do it again if I could be arsed, but I'd like to get this ball rolling.

1. Tomcraft & Jimmy Pop - Broadsword Calling Danny Boy [Kosmo]

Not actually out yet, this is a nice little slice of soft electro-pop here. Wasn't too keen on it at first, but something about the vocals grew on me, and I've had it on repeat a lot this week. Makes quite a good opener, too.

2. Vinny Troia feat. Jaidene Veda - Flow (Gareth Emery Remix) [Curve]

Really like this mix from Gareth - one of the best tracks he's worked on this year. He manages to take what is quite a house-y vocal, and make it suitable for what is a very solid and beefy trance track. It has no big cheesy breakdown, instead relying on the bass and the beat to bring it home. Really, really enjoying this one.

3.Frontline - Global System [Flux Delux]

The kind of melodic trance that I always enjoy. Not incredibly outrageous or ambitious - just a strong melody with a nice ambience to it.

4. Dirty Pervertz - Candy [Baroque]

Can't explain why I like this - not my usual style at all. But something about this little prog track grabbed me when I heard it, and it was a must by. I think it's just so stupidly jolly, it makes quite a nice change to a set dominated by trancey-melodies.

Posted Image
5. Fractal Structure - Coloured Melody [Alter Ego]

Must like Frontline, this does nothing special, but it's very pleasing to the ear, and couldn't contrast much more with Dirty Pervertz. Also quite a good driver for the mix, hinting at what else is in store. Mucked up the mix between the two a bit, mind.

Posted Image
6. DJ Tiesto - The Tube [Bonzai]

Probably the most old school track Tiesto has put together for a fair old while. It really does sound like he's downgraded his equipment, but it plods on by and becomes rather addictive by the end of it all.

7. Apogee - Shimmering (Marcos Euphonic Remix) [Captivating Sounds]

Firstly, I really like how this works with the end of The Tube - I think the vocals really drive the mix forward. Secondly, I think this is just a mean and rough trancer ready to burst out, but never quite does. I actually like the fact that it resists doing the completely obvious, and instead just bubbles along almost blowing its top.

8. 4 Strings - Into the Night 2006 (Purple Haze Remix) [Liquid]

Barely recognisable from the original this, but the melody grabbed me straight away. Works better in a mix than it does alone, but certainly worth a listen or two.

So there you have it. Like I say, it was a bit of a rushed job this morning, but this mix is available to download here - http://www.uploading...newmix.mp3.html

I would have hosted it on Yousendit.com, but that seems to require registration now. Downloading isn't too tricky - just enter the three letters and numbers in the bar near the top, and then click on the download link in the same bar on the second link.

#2 Dr Slotter

Dr Slotter
  • Members
  • 4772 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:38 AM

[Repost from the House Thread]

Here's a mix I did the other day:Slotter Goes Electro-ish

It's a bit 'Greatest Hits' of the last few months but I was doing for a mate who likes that sort of thing. Anyway, I had a few new tunes to have a listen to so I stuck Audition on to record whilst messing about on my decks.

I'll put a complete track list up at somepoint, once I've worked out/remembered what it is. I do remember it's got a bootleg of Calabria, Exceeder, BodyRox, Supermode, Freeform 5, Chocolate Puma, Fedde le Grand etc. You get the idea. Mostly not the normal mixes you hear though. A few surprises as well.

A brownie point to who can name me the very last record :)

Apologies for the MegaUpload link, I'm a bit low on 'proper' webspace at the moment. :D

Tracklist

Solu Music - Fade (Grant Nelson Remix, Wez Clarke Re-Edit)
Funkagenda - Gypsy Woman (Funkagenda & Jaytay's Gentle Napalm Mix)
Rune - Nothing New (Steve Mac's Calabria Mix)
Supermode - Tell Me Why (TV Rock Mix)
Plump DJs - Electric Disco (D. Ramirez Remix)
Tocadisco - You're Not Good for Me (Tocadisco's Recover Mix)
Mason - Exceeder (Original Mix)
Chocolate Puma - Always & Forever (Bob Sinclar Mix)
Basto - Rock With You (Hoxton Whores Remix)
Fedde Le Grand - Put Your Hands Up for Detroit (Til West & Delicious Mix)
The Clash - Should I Stay or Go? (Roman Pushkin Main Mix)
Freeform 5 - No More Conversation (Mylo Remix)
Bloc Party - Banquet (Noize Boys Vox Mix)
Full Intention pres. Bodyrox - Yeah Yeah (D.Ramirez Remix)
Dee-Lite - Groove Is In THe Heart (Tocadisco Remix)
Maxene Cyrin - Don't You Want Me

#3 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25586 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:21 AM

Downloading...

#4 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25586 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:12 AM

Hmm. What mix of Supermode is this? I'd been put off buying this because I thought the mixes would be full of cheese, but this is really rather good.

#5 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25586 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:12 AM

A brownie point to who can name me the very last record :)

Isn't it Felix?

Don't You Want Me? Couldn't tell you what the mix was, though.

#6 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14735 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:12 AM

Yo, bitches. I'm up at a mates this weekend so was going to set this up if Keith hadn't done so before my return. I think we need some single tracks rather than just mixes mixes mixes. It's too hard to listen to a whole mix and give decent feedback back on it in a short time cycle. Anyways, I have a bunch of tracks I'll upload when I get home. Let's try and get some non-dancey people in here talking too yeah.

#7 Dr Slotter

Dr Slotter
  • Members
  • 4772 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

Hmm. What mix of Supermode is this? I'd been put off buying this because I thought the mixes would be full of cheese, but this is really rather good.

It's the 'TV Rock Remix'

Isn't it Felix?

Don't You Want Me? Couldn't tell you what the mix was, though.

Yeah :) it's a cover by Maxene Cyrin.

#8 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14735 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

Here are some personal faves to try and get peeps talking, one from each of the main genres (that I'm into) that I expect will be discussed here:

Funky House - Stephanie Cooke - Here With My Best Friend (Dance Ritual Mix)
A soulful vocal track mixed by Louie Vega. A really nice song with great instrumentation. I like the lyrics too.

Tech House - Mr C & Tom Parris - Siren (Main Mix)
BANGER! as they might say in the hip-hop thread. Funky as fuck bassline action from the old 'Shamen' chap.

Acid House - FC Kahuna - Machine Says Yes (Josh Wink's Acid Dub Reinterpretation)
An absolute classic in my opinion. Six minutes of hypnotic shuffling percussion and that acid bassline lead you up the breakdown from heaven. The white noise builds, those lush chords sneak in, then the bassline drops and the hairs on the back of my neck never fail to stand up. I swear Mr.Wink was made solely to twiddle the knobs of Roland TB-303's.

Techno - Jeff Mills - Flood
I don't have an awful lot of Jeff's stuff but he deserves a lot of respect. I can't think of anybody else who makes so much music with such purpose and feeling behind every track. This one is from his amazing Metropolis soundtrack. He also knows how to work a loop. This kind of relentless techno is all the drugs I'll ever need to trip out with. Nasty.

Electronic/Breaks - Nathan Fake - Charlie's House (Apparat Remix)
I loved the Nathan Fake album, although it was rather mellow affair mostly. This remix however chunks up the track nicely. Plenty of wobbley bass action and some nice fat beats too. Still keeps the floaty synth pads though!

Nu Disco - Todd Terje - Glittertind
Beautiful synth disco/funk. It effortlessly drifts along like some kind of cosmic lullaby. Lovely.

Electro House - Riton - The Hammer of Thor
Only available on Tiefschwarz's Fabric mix at the moment but it's a pretty clean edit considering. It's really grown on me lately, pretty immense stuff. Really warm sounding analogue too.

#9 Mr Monday

Mr Monday
  • Supporters
  • 6437 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

Some good stuff there AcidBB, especially the Todd Terje and Riton tracks.

For those that like jacking Chicago style house music then you might like to check out Joey Youngman's new album which is out this month.

Here's one of his older efforts

Joey Youngman - Fascination

#10 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14735 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:44 PM

That's not really doing anything for me Mr-Monday. This is a nice little rhythm track in an old school style from Metro Area 6:

Rhythm Reel #6

#11 cubeadvance

cubeadvance
  • Members
  • 7960 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:59 PM

That Metro Area tune is great. It's been in my Juno wishlist for ages, just waiting for the day I'll fork out the cash. This guy Ian Blevins had it in one of his mixes ages ago, and you're nodding your head along with all these minimal grooves and electro bits and bobs, then he drops Luther Vandross - Never Too Much. It really blew my mind, it was such a far removal but worked a treat.

Check his site out, the mixes might still not work because it got hacked a while ago. Link.

#12 Mr Monday

Mr Monday
  • Supporters
  • 6437 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

He-he. I guess it's horse for courses, because the Metro Arena one just seems a bit dull to me. Too techy and not really dance-able.

Here's another one I'm listening too at the moment. You probably wont like this one either, but hopefully somebody will!

Mike Monday - Ca$h

#13 Skid Lee B Bop

Skid Lee B Bop
  • Supporters
  • 3523 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

I've not listened to the posts as yet, but on FC Kahuna a great recommendation for the album Machine Says Yes, one of those albums that I didn't really see what the fuss was at first, but has grown to be a real classic.

Also another recommendation for Nathan Fake, you can hear a lot of influences in the scene as a result of Border Community's output, and I mentioned elsewhere but everyone should buy Francois K - Frequencies Mix CD. Look there's a link here and everything.

#14 Mr Do 71

Mr Do 71
  • Supporters
  • 31148 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

Prince - "All The Critics Love You in New York" (Basement Jaxx Mix)

I love the original, but this mix is sexed up and is nice and funky.

Play it loud :)

#15 Pmccee

Pmccee
  • Members
  • 1634 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:46 PM

Really liking your mix boyatsea, extended my want list on juno just a tad :)

#16 cubeadvance

cubeadvance
  • Members
  • 7960 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

All they seem to have done is speed it up and bugger about with the order. What has happened to the Jaxx? Their new single is totally wack too. Where's 'Jump and Shout'?

#17 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14735 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

Some good old Jaxx tunage here: http://dilate.choonz...ndex.php?id=477

The remixes they did for Justin Timberlake and Daft Punk were good too.

#18 Skid Lee B Bop

Skid Lee B Bop
  • Supporters
  • 3523 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

This won't be a popular comment, but I've never got Basement Jaxx, bought the first album based on the original hype and just didn't take to it.

I really find them to be a London thing and because all the media's based there it resulted in a touch of the Nathans.

#19 MDK

MDK
  • Members
  • 2091 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

Wow, this thread has certainly exploded into life.

Yo, bitches. I'm up at a mates this weekend so was going to set this up if Keith hadn't done so before my return. I think we need some single tracks rather than just mixes mixes mixes. It's too hard to listen to a whole mix and give decent feedback back on it in a short time cycle. Anyways, I have a bunch of tracks I'll upload when I get home. Let's try and get some non-dancey people in here talking too yeah.

Maybe shorter mixes are the answer then. :)
For obvious reasons, I'm not gonna upload single tracks I've just bought of Beatport, etc.

I'm looking to upload a 5-6 track mix, lots of great fresh dance tuneage about right now.

#20 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14735 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

Fair one Murdock, can you link to tracks on Beatport? They have the whole tracks available to sample at a low bitrate IIRC. And your mixes are the exception to the rule as I generally get on well with them all and they don't appear to often, no offense to the rest of you!

#21 MDK

MDK
  • Members
  • 2091 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

Fair one Murdock, can you link to tracks on Beatport? They have the whole tracks available to sample at a low bitrate IIRC. And your mixes are the exception to the rule as I generally get on well with them all and they don't appear to often, no offense to the rest of you!

Not directly, Juno is a better alternative.

#22 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14735 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, Juno is a great site. No nonsense, just lots of releases with good quality samples. It's just nice to preview the whole track on Beatport, shame you can't link to individual pages.

#23 CJPH

CJPH
  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:30 PM

Kavinsky.....exellent cut and a cool video.

On the exellent Air label:http://www.recordmakers.com/

Sebastien Tellier remixes, Arpanet (Drexciya, Dopplereffekt)

..also check out the Justice mix of Mr Oizo Nazis

#24 Skid Lee B Bop

Skid Lee B Bop
  • Supporters
  • 3523 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:06 PM

15 years on and you'll still struggle to find better strings than this.

Mike Perras - Keep Movin'

#25 hub2

hub2
  • Members
  • 14245 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:11 PM

Electronic/Breaks - Nathan Fake - Charlie's House (Apparat Remix)
I loved the Nathan Fake album, although it was rather mellow affair mostly. This remix however chunks up the track nicely. Plenty of wobbley bass action and some nice fat beats too. Still keeps the floaty synth pads though!

Dunno if it's the same Apparat, but...

Apparat Organ Quartet - Romantika

Probably well known by now, but lovely track.

#26 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41416 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:47 PM

Just listening to Francais K's Frequencies mix right - not bad at all.

#27 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26285 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:58 PM

Dunno if it's the same Apparat, but...

Apparat Organ Quartet - Romantika

Probably well known by now, but lovely track.

That is a wicked tune!

#28 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 16913 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:10 PM

This won't be a popular comment, but I've never got Basement Jaxx, bought the first album based on the original hype and just didn't take to it.

I really find them to be a London thing and because all the media's based there it resulted in a touch of the Nathans.

I don't think they've ever been all that consistent, but at their best Basement Jaxx had the enviable ability to make a sterile heap of electronics capture that live, spontaneous sound of 'real' music in a way that no-one other than The Chemical Brothers seem to be able to. And that's the attraction. Where's Your Head At or a lot of the other tracks on Rooty - they just, umm, loosen up in a way a lot of dance music doesn't.

#29 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25586 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

I'm up at a mates this weekend so was going to set this up if Keith hadn't done so before my return. I think we need some single tracks rather than just mixes mixes mixes.

I think we need a mixture - but to be honest, the mix I put up is only 45 mins long.

Really liking your mix boyatsea, extended my want list on juno just a tad :(

Any bits you especially like?

I need tips for future mixes, see.. :(

#30 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14735 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:55 PM

I sorted all my vinyl into alphabetical order today. Fed up of never being able to find the tune I want easily. Recorded a bunch of stuff while I was at it, mostly funky and deep house. Here are a couple of real deep tracks for you to try.

Africanism Presents Soha (Dj Gregory & Julien Jabre) - Les Enfants Du Bled

Onionz - Tribal Flowerbed

And also, some vintage Basement Jaxx from 1995, cos the new video is a fucking joke.

Basement Jaxx - I'm Thru With You (Feat. Corrine Joseph)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users