We Want Your Soul

• Please log in to reply
2551 replies to this topic

#121 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23809 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

I've got a very sweet straight forward Motown cover of one of the best Beatles songs, 'Something.' This is by Martha Reeves, and from 1:00 to 1:25 your soul is going to be ripped to shit by some lush swelling strings and you're going to smile like a loon:

Something - Martha Reeves

Gil Scott-Heron - Blaxploitation. Did you know his Dad played for Celtic?

WHAT?!

EDIT: That is INSANE:

His father, 'The Black Arrow' Gil Heron, was a soccer player for Glasgow's Celtic Football Club in the 1950s. In fact, when he joined Celtic in 1951 he became the team's first black player. At the time, Celtic F.C. was the team of Scotland's Irish immigrants.

Tell me this another one of the made-up fake facts on Wikipedia. Please :(

#122 cubeadvance

cubeadvance
  • Members
  • 7960 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

That is mental. I read it a while a go and forgot about it. I remembered it the other night and thought that maybe I thought of it when I was a bit wonky or something and it wasn't true. But there it is, in black and white. The SPL will not be televised (unless you have Sentana).

#123 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23809 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

:(

Brilliant.

#124 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41621 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:41 AM

Okay....some other selections...and about as close to "pop" as you'll ever get from me...

Not sure why..but this seems to remind of my old school days in Battersea about 24 years ago (1982) - just as odd is that its a vocal track....still, whatever - i never tire of it....

Heatwave - Grooveline

Its actually one of few songs i can just play and play...
I actually mentioned to J. Negro that he should use this for a remix at his forum but i don't think he replied to it.
The chorus is one of those that sounds good when played at any speed and was one i'd like someday put into a Hip Hop accapella.

Now one more to slow things down again for now...
I don't normally do kinda slower RnB as its widely repetative musically IMO...
BUT sometimes, when its done well and mixed into funk ots superb....
this track is much different as it contains some lovely production, fantastic choruses, sax solos, wah'd synths, rhodes, and chock full of the kinda sunshine jazz that keeps me warm.....

Nancy Wilson - Sunrise

Enjoy :(

#125 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23809 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:38 AM

Anyone gettin like their mother and feeling my shit, nah?

#126 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23809 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:03 AM

But, hey, anyway. In the local cattle market tonight. This wee kid of a man, dude I've spoken to, before he became the village big shot R'n'B DJ at said cattle market, drops the following science to the packed crowd TONIGHT:

"Give it up for motherfucking JAAAAAAMES-BROW-OWNNNNNNNNN" [plays some Kool & The Gang]

:( Crackers!

#127 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26674 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

Lou Rawls - You''ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine
Found this little gem on one of those dodgy Soul compilations full of re-recordings and live versions. This one sounds like it might be live but I don't know the song or artist and this is a really great track.

There will definitely be some Lou Rawls in your future. Doesn't anyone remember Pudgee Tha Phat Bastard? 'Looking at the blue walls / Listening to Lou Rawls', etc. Lou Rawls is the king.

#128 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23809 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:38 PM

Can I make a request here? I'm after Nina Simone's insane version of 'Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter.' I used to have it on Mini Disc but I've not got it on mp3. All the copies on Limewire are slightly fucked I seem to recall. It's like the record was skipping and the file has spread like AIDS.

But, yeah, that would be much appreciated. I'm needing some of that silly percussion (one of the best things I've ever seen was DJ J-Rocc from the Beat Junkies juggling and rearranging that beat on two turntables, prolonging it and building tension with it. Immense skillz).

#129 scratch

scratch
  • Members
  • 2073 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:52 PM

Can I make a request here? I'm after Nina Simone's insane version of 'Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter.' I used to have it on Mini Disc but I've not got it on mp3. All the copies on Limewire are slightly fucked I seem to recall. It's like the record was skipping and the file has spread like AIDS.

But, yeah, that would be much appreciated. I'm needing some of that silly percussion (one of the best things I've ever seen was DJ J-Rocc from the Beat Junkies juggling and rearranging that beat on two turntables, prolonging it and building tension with it. Immense skillz).

Sure I've got it, coming this way shortly, just let me dig it out.

#130 scratch

scratch
  • Members
  • 2073 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

as requested

Nina Simone - Funkier than a mosquito's tweeter

#131 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23809 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

Cheers, man. This is a TUNE!

Kinda funny how Yousendit has been hitting me with mosquito sounds all week, too. HMM.

#132 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14756 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:14 PM

That mosquito is a CUNT. I got a little program called Flash Mute to silence the little blighter (works on just flash ads or the whole browser). Very handy indeed.

And no ZOK, I don't know that Pudgee fella either. I think I'd like to know more Lou Rawls though if that track is anything to go by.

#133 scratch

scratch
  • Members
  • 2073 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:22 PM

Cheers, man. This is a TUNE!

Kinda funny how Yousendit has been hitting me with mosquito sounds all week, too. HMM.

That mosquito is a CUNT. I got a little program called Flash Mute to silence the little blighter (works on just flash ads or the whole browser). Very handy indeed.

And no ZOK, I don't know that Pudgee fella either. I think I'd like to know more Lou Rawls though if that track is anything to go by.

Don't be so down on the mosquito's :(

Here's the perfect tune to remind you of downloading from yousendit:
The New Birth - Honey bee :(

#134 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14756 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:29 PM

Sticking with the insect theme then, here is crazy slice of driving disco funk from Bumble Bee Unlimited.

Posted Image

Love Bug (12" Promo Mix)

#135 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14756 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

Been having a listen through all the tracks I've grabbed. There certainly hasn't been many I don't like. Random stuff that really grabbed my attention though:

Keno-1 & the Hermit - heavy heavy

Massive drums. Love it. Real dirty groove. Sounds like there should be some fierce rapping over it.

Bobbi Humprey - Young Warrior (Madlib remix)

http://www.yousendit...8241976747741A3

Nice little piano hook at the start, is that from something else? Would love a full track of it.
The main tune is some mad off the hook funk. Wicked bass. Mad synths. Sweet drums. Madlib really is a genius.

Bennie Maupin - Quazar

This is great man, you always come out with these obscrue but amazing jazzy tracks. Is there an album of this stuff you could recommend?

Please!

I don't have the the flashback sampling tunes on the pc but I'm trying to download them, if not I'll record the vinyl. The Dave Clarke mix is ace (yes, techno god Dave Clarke). I might look into doing a re-edit of it myself actually, it really needs to be longer doesn't it. I did find this remix although I'm not entirely keen on it. I think it's the speed changes that ruin it. It's like somebody was playing SF2 while they mixed it. Check it:

http://www.yousendit...5AD2FD255F607C0

I Wanna Be Where You Are (extended edit) - Marvin Gaye

I Wanna Be Where You Are - Jackson 5

The Marvin version is lush but it cuts off really abruptly for me, did I get a bad download or is it meant to be like that?

Also, whoever upped the extended version of James Brown - Talking Loud and Saying Nothing, great stuff. That's a grade A groove right there. Cheers

#136 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23809 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

Oh you're right. The file's fucked! It's supposed to be 6 minutes or so ;)

Anyone who understands torrents up for downloading the Deluxe Edition of I Want You, nah? I'll maybe even buy it some time. I don't think I'd even grudge buying the album for a second time. It looks like there's quite a lot of bonus tracks on it.

#137 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14756 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:00 PM

Got the full 6 minutes now, much better ;)

#138 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23809 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:03 PM

You can't say something like that without posting it up, mayn.

#139 K

K
  • Members
  • 21227 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:11 PM

I don't have the the flashback sampling tunes on the pc but I'm trying to download them, if not I'll record the vinyl. The Dave Clarke mix is ace (yes, techno god Dave Clarke). I might look into doing a re-edit of it myself actually, it really needs to be longer doesn't it. I did find this remix although I'm not entirely keen on it. I think it's the speed changes that ruin it. It's like somebody was playing SF2 while they mixed it. Check it:

Aaaargh! That's fucking awful. What kind of mad drugs were the people who remixed that ON? It's that bit at the end where it gets inexorably faster and faster that completely kills it; what possessed them? I was clawing at my ears. Cheers for posting it, though- if you do a re-edit, let me know.

Also, whoever upped the extended version of James Brown - Talking Loud and Saying Nothing, great stuff. That's a grade A groove right there. Cheers

You're welcome!

#140 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14756 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

You can't say something like that without posting it up, mayn.

BOOM!

#141 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23809 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:58 PM

BOOM!

Thanks very much. Like I say, it's one of my favourite songs. So happy to be hearing the whole thing, although maybe part of the appeal on the album is that it's so fleeting. Like a butterfly just came and landed on your nose for a few seconds before flying off again.

#142 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14756 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:09 PM

Aaaargh! That's fucking awful. What kind of mad drugs were the people who remixed that ON? It's that bit at the end where it gets inexorably faster and faster that completely kills it; what possessed them? I was clawing at my ears. Cheers for posting it, though- if you do a re-edit, let me know.

It's pretty dire isn't it. Here is the house track that sampled it:

Lil Devious - Come Home

I've had the original on loop for about half an hour and have taken a few sections that are loopable out of it but I'm not really sure I could do it justice with a re-edit. Could really do with an instrumental or accapella to take parts from. Great, great song though. I have a couple of other tracks by them on compilations, if you want them upped? They tend to stick with the same formula mind you.

#143 K

K
  • Members
  • 21227 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

It's pretty dire isn't it. Here is the house track that sampled it:

Lil Devious - Come Home

I've had the original on loop for about half an hour and have taken a few sections that are loopable out of it but I'm not really sure I could do it justice with a re-edit. Could really do with an instrumental or accapella to take parts from. Great, great song though. I have a couple of other tracks by them on compilations, if you want them upped? They tend to stick with the same formula mind you.

The only other song I've heard by Imagination is 'Burnin' Up', on some Joey Negro mix, and that's pretty sweet. I'd appreciate a bit more Imagination, even if I am on the verge of playing out 'Flashback' completely- cheers!

#144 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26674 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

Okay then, here are a few Lou Rawls for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of hearing Soul's graveliest voice...Most of them are from this great album:

Posted Image

A little groover to start:

Time Will Take Care Of Everything

One in the Vegas dinner and dance style:

I'll See You When I Get There

One inna lounge stylee:

Trade Winds

Finally, my favourite:

Let Me Be Good To You

Enjoy!

As for Pudgee...that line is from his track 'Checkin' Out The Ave', which is a great hip hop track...must be circa 1993 or thereabouts. If someone has that, it would be great to see it upped!

#145 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41621 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:46 PM

This is great man, you always come out with these obscrue but amazing jazzy tracks. Is there an album of this stuff you could recommend?

Thats from the Soul of Science LP - Vol. 2 compiled by Ian O'Brien and Kirk Degorgio - but most of the stuff on it is pretty obscure synth based experiments.

To be honest, i've hunted down many CD's and just compiled the stuff i like - theres very few Lp's that i like track for track so i compiled this directory of stuff that appeals to my rather rather anally opinionated view.
The rest of it i've sadly had to hunt on Mp3.

After i fell out of the tedium of 4/4 techno and mosty boring electronica (and given the use of PC's to create music - theres a lot of crap out there) i fell in love with real live loose intrumentation and the superb production of Jazz and Funk the 70's (which beats the shit outta much of todays music).

And thats where i am now.....just picking off these rare gems* that blow me away.

*Corrida - Scat Firework. Now normally i hate Scat, but this shit is funky as hell and most importantly IMO - drives throught some lovely chords).

BOOM!

Oh....Yeah man....I'm feeling that, esp. that bass and chord change from 4.00 onwards to fade.

Nice taste Cal. :lol:

That Honey Bee track has been sampled b4....Jungle Brothers or Xclan (it might be both actually)
I can't recall the track names.

I'm sure the X-clan used it on some spoken word intro or something from their first LP (SISSYYYYYYY!)

#146 scratch

scratch
  • Members
  • 2073 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

That Honey Bee track has been sampled b4....Jungle Brothers or Xclan (it might be both actually)
I can't recall the track names.

I'm sure the X-clan used it on some spoken word intro or something from their first LP (SISSYYYYYYY!)

I posted this link in another thread but it probably more use here,
very useful for finding the original artist/song thats been sampled in hip hop/rap songs

the-breaks.com

X-Clan - Verbal Milk is the track(forgot what a great album that is, got it playing now for the first time in probably 10 years)

I got the honey bee track on a compilation album - Shaolin Soul episode 2 (if any one knows where I can get episode 1 please let me know -would be much appreciated).
Its a compilation of soul & funk tracks that have been sampled by Wu-Tang (Honey Bee was also sampled in "Clan in Da Front")
Its well worth tracking down,
- although give it afew weeks and I'll probably have posted the whole album in this thread :(

#147 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23809 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

I have the odd bits and bobs off the Shaolin Soul compilations, all on mp3. Some very good stuff on them.

#148 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26674 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

Here's a head nodder from me:

Grover Washington Jnr - Knucklehead

Fuck me, that's a big fat brass section on this track...it's almost like Night Boat To Cairo!

In related news, Grover's Winelight has probably my favourite album sleeve of all time...

Posted Image

#149 scratch

scratch
  • Members
  • 2073 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:33 PM

Fuck me, that's a big fat brass section on this track...it's almost like Night Boat To Cairo!

In related news, Grover's Winelight has probably my favourite album sleeve of all time...

Posted Image

Not got that album - worth picking up?

#150 esar

esar
  • Members
  • 5995 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

I got the honey bee track on a compilation album - Shaolin Soul episode 2 (if any one knows where I can get episode 1 please let me know -would be much appreciated).

I've got both on vinyl but they mostly consist of tracks by Al Green and Syl Johnson which you should be able to get the individual albums by, like:

Posted Image
Posted Image

or in a similar vein:
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users