2537 replies to this topic

#31 cubeadvance

cubeadvance
  • Members
  • 7960 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:37 PM

More good stuff for your ears.

The Meters - Cissy Strut

Even if you are a cissy, you will be strutting. New Oleans funk at it's very finest.

Shuggie Otis - Island Love Letter

And now, something rather special. Words cannot describe this song, so I suggest you just listen to it.

#32 scratch

scratch
  • Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:48 PM

More good stuff for your ears.

The Meters - Cissy Strut

Even if you are a cissy, you will be strutting. New Oleans funk at it's very finest.

And now, something rather special. Words cannot describe this song, so I suggest you just listen to it.

Cissy Strut - a classic,

Downloading the Shuggie Otis now - looking forward to this - only other track I've heard is Aht Uh Mi Head, is that off the same album?
I just love his voice :lol:

#33 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26044 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

It is rather wonderful. Everyone who comes in this thread should buy a Shuggie Otis album.

#34 esar

esar
  • Members
  • 5970 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

This is the best Shuggie Otis album:

Posted Image

Inspiration Infomation

Shuggie kinda reminds me of Marcus Valle for no reason whatsoever and this album is amazing:

Posted Image

Previsao Do Tempo
(I might upload it tomorrow if people want it?)

#35 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14719 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

I listened to both of hoodedclaw's mixes today as well as the Young Einstein mix and one from the Funky Corners(?) blog. All had some jolly nice tunes in. Cheers all.

Also, for anybody unfortunate enough to have not heard the wonderful 'Carry On, Turn Me On' yet, head on over to my blog:

http://acidbearboy.blogspot.com/

[/pimp]

#36 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14719 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

I just had a back to back, double dose of awesome from your lovely uploads. First was Diana Ross - No One Gets The Prize and then Carol Williams - Can't Get Away (From Your Love). Been loving the Jazzanova mix cd lately so to have the unmixed version of that tune is great. Always whaps a big old grin on my face, even in the early hours of the morning at work.

#37 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12130 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

Stark Reality - Sunday's Song

Great, great stuff Ben. I'm bang into this kind of stuff recently.

This is the best Shuggie Otis album:

Posted Image

Inspiration Infomation

Look at him, busting out the pre-repress cover and all. Ya show off :lol: I've got this one:

Posted Image

Great album.

#38 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26044 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

I just had a back to back, double dose of awesome from your lovely uploads. First was Diana Ross - No One Gets The Prize and then Carol Williams - Can't Get Away (From Your Love).

Agreed, this is superb. Any chance of somebody YSI ing it? I can't download quicktime stuff.

Look at him, busting out the pre-repress cover and all. Ya show off :lol: I've got this one:

Posted Image

Great album.

Heh, I have the first one on vinyl and the second one on CD. WHO'S THE KING, BABY?!?!

#39 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12130 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

Agreed, this is superb. Any chance of somebody YSI ing it? I can't download quicktime stuff.

Zok, you should be able to. Are you on a PC? Just right click and 'save target(or link) as' and it should start a proper download. The quicktime thing is just good old Apple making things easier* for you.

*more awkward.

#40 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14719 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

It should be a simple right click > save as with those links cubeadvance posted. PM me your email/msn address if you still have trouble and I'll sort you out.

#41 Goldbricker

Goldbricker
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

I don't really know if this should be included but it's quite similar to Love unlimited orchestra I guess.

David Axelrod - Holy Thursday

And that Love Unlimited Orchestra track Love's theme that I mentioned yesterday:

Love unlimited orchestra - Love's theme

#42 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26044 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

I just thought of a few oldies that some of you might be unfamiliar with.

First up:

Troglodyte - Jimmy Castor Bunch

One of the most simultaneously funky and hilarious tunes around! Play loud.

Next:

Sweet Power Your Embrace - James Mason

A bonafide jazz fusion classic. Remember the days when a 12" of this would fetch 30? It's yours for nowt.

And to finish, a couple of diamonds from the eighties soul era:

You Used To Hold Me Tight - Thelma Houston

Lovely, lovely stuff!

Another Man - Barbara Mason

This is probably my favourite eighties soul track of all time. Actually, that's not true - that honour goes to 'Dare To Dream' by Viola Wills...and if anybody has a copy of that they can up I'd be most grateful! Anyway, this is my second favourite...What's not to love? 'Do you remember when I said she's got the papers and I've got the man? Well the man that she had that I took from her was not the manchild that we thought he was at all...' Incredible stuff. If you play this to a dancefloor packed with Bristolians of a certain age, there will be guaranteed action. Feel the bassline...

EDIT: Thanks guys, I am indeed on a PC, but am not always the most technically minded person! cubeadvance's stuff is now go!

#43 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14719 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:56 PM

A pleasure to send you something back in return ZOK:

'Dare To Dream' by Viola Wills

Downloaded from somebody here ages ago, possibly scribble?

#44 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12130 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

Zok, one more thing - your downloads seem to be in .m4a - that's the default itunes format, but it means that any music you share can't be played on any portables other than ipods. Even worse, if you decide to get a player that isn't an ipod in the future, you won't be able to play the .m4a files.

It's all part of Apple's great user experience!*

There's a setting in itunes which makes it encode into .mp3. I would use that, but it's up to you. m4as can fit the same quality into a smaller file, but I don't think its a trade off worth making.

*cunts

#45 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26044 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:06 PM

A pleasure to send you something back in return ZOK:

'Dare To Dream' by Viola Wills

:( :( :(

I used to end every set I did with this tune when I was DJing...it's even the London Remix, which is the best version! Gracias!

Zok, one more thing - your downloads seem to be in .m4a - that's the default itunes format, but it means that any music you share can't be played on any portables other than ipods. Even worse, if you decide to get a player that isn't an ipod in the future, you won't be able to play the .m4a files.

It's all part of Apple's great user experience!*

There's a setting in itunes which makes it encode into .mp3. I would use that, but it's up to you. m4as can fit the same quality into a smaller file, but I don't think its a trade off worth making.
*cunts

Erk...does that mean I would have to re-load all my cds into Itunes??? That's a thought that makes my blood run cold...out of interest, how much smaller is the .m4a than the .mp3?

#46 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12130 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

Not that much smaller. I'm totally guessing, but maybe three quarters or thereabouts? Reloading your CDs is up to you, really, but if you stay in m4a you're locked in a digital embrace with Apple for the rest of your life! Sorry for the derailment folks...

#47 K

K
  • Members
  • 20811 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

More disco! Man, it's like Studio 54 in here. And not just because I'm riding a horse around the dancefloor while snorting coke off Grace Jones' muscly thighs. Somebody open a window! This is 25 Hrs by Lanier, and it's a stormer. Ten minutes of building and building and building and it still ends too soon; the guitar solo at the end is cruelly cut short. Still, it's magic.

http://www.yousendit...D1E200D79E51333

More NY disco, with New York Moving by the strangely-named Ahzz. Shame Ahzz didn't stick around long enough to do a collaboration with Hole, because that would have been something special. Oh well, best stick this on and pretend you're some kind of drug addled hustler, stalking through Manhatten. I :( NY.

http://www.yousendit...DDF853F11FA392C

#48 nightwaxon

nightwaxon
  • Members
  • 2508 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

You Used To Hold Me Tight - Thelma Houston[/url]

Lovely, lovely stuff!

Zok, that is a top top tune.

I'd like to get it on this tune sharing extravaganza. How does one go about sharing files with YSI? I can't make head nor tail of it :(

#49 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26044 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

It's easy. Just register with yousendit.com, then click on the upload file bit. Then don't bother entering an email address, just select your file (step 2) and click send, and it will upload the file and give you the link for it. Does that make sense?

#50 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14719 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:45 PM

Go here: http://www.yousendit.com/
Browse you computer to find the file to share.
Enter your email address in the box (optional - you will get an email for future reference if you do).
Click send. Wait for it to upload. Don't close the window/tab.
Copy the link location for the file when it's done.
Post it here for people to click and download.

#51 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41350 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

Now i know what i'm doing i can upload this lil' classic....

Bobbi Humprey - Young Warrior (Madlib remix)

http://www.yousendit...8241976747741A3

Can't quite get this song out my head right now.

#52 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26044 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

More disco! Man, it's like Studio 54 in here. And not just because I'm riding a horse around the dancefloor while snorting coke off Grace Jones' muscly thighs. Somebody open a window! This is 25 Hrs by Lanier, and it's a stormer. Ten minutes of building and building and building and it still ends too soon; the guitar solo at the end is cruelly cut short. Still, it's magic.

http://www.yousendit...D1E200D79E51333

More NY disco, with New York Moving by the strangely-named Ahzz. Shame Ahzz didn't stick around long enough to do a collaboration with Hole, because that would have been something special. Oh well, best stick this on and pretend you're some kind of drug addled hustler, stalking through Manhatten. I :( NY.

http://www.yousendit...DDF853F11FA392C

Perfect tunes. I will have a squizz through the mp3s, and route out more disco madness...

#53 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41350 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

Since i uploaded, every time i go to USI it goes to the file upload page i just closed.

#54 K

K
  • Members
  • 20811 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

http://www.yousendit...13B091467E9030B

Just thought I'd lower the tone with some DIRTY, DIRTY funk. Listen to that bassline- you could throw it into a midden and it'd lower the tone. It's James Brown, Bobby Byrd and Bootsy Collins. Bear witness!

Last upload for a while. I need to catch up with some of your tunes, folks.

#55 nightwaxon

nightwaxon
  • Members
  • 2508 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:53 PM

OK chaps, think I got this sussed. Here is my tune for the disco stompers, a bit of Melba Moore and You Stepped (into my life).

http://www.yousendit...8B80C037B9CDAE5

I'll post more up later, but I need to catch up with some of the tunes posted previously.

#56 cubeadvance

cubeadvance
  • Members
  • 7960 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:53 PM

I think I sent it to you ages ago. It's an amazing tune. Also, You Used To Hold Me So Tight is a tight old jam. That intro is crazy, I've spoken to people about it before and I couldn't find anyone that had heard it.

Here is one more from me. A vibrant boogie nugget to sink your teeth into.

The Dells - All About the Paper

#57 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26044 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:18 AM

Before I go to bed I'll leave you all a little treat to pick up in the morning. I don't think we've had any of the maestro Bobby Womack yet, which must be a bit of an oversight. This is my personal favourite, not just because it's a stone cold rare groove classic, but because it has a phonecall at the start - and I love tunes with phonecalls in!

How Could You Break My Heart - Bobby Womack

#58 Hoodedclaw

Hoodedclaw
  • Members
  • 4323 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:04 AM

Now i know what i'm doing i can upload this lil' classic....

Bobbi Humprey - Young Warrior (Madlib remix)

http://www.yousendit...8241976747741A3

Can't quite get this song out my head right now.

:lol: fuckin tune that is right there !

#59 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26044 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:34 AM

If you like that remix, you should try either of these to get you really started:

Posted Image

Posted Image

You will like them!

#60 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23723 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:52 PM

I always meant to get stuff by her. I've heard a couple of things on compilations and, sheeit, she's got an afro and plays the flute. It's not going to be bad, is it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users