acidbearboy

We Want Your Soul

2,600 posts in this topic

I've got both on vinyl but they mostly consist of tracks by Al Green and Syl Johnson which you should be able to get the individual albums by, like:

AlGreen_B000087DR7.jpg

johnso_syl~_isitbecau_101b.jpg

or in a similar vein:

1422173.jpg

Delfonics%20-%20La%20La%20Means%20I%20Love%20You.jpg

Must pick up a Syl Johnson album - would the album above be a good place to start?

This is my favourite track by him off that Shaolin Soul album:

Syl Johnson - I Hate I Walked Away

Not got that album - worth picking up?

Absolutely I'd say, but don't expect anything like that Knucklehead. It's very much in the mellow jazz fusion vein...the cover conveys pretty accurately the pleasures to be found within, I think. If you like the mood to be suggestive of an early eighties spy film while you're seducing a young lady (and who doesn't!) then this is the album to stick on. Having said that, my getting it on music is the OST to The Ostermann Weekend, so what would I know? Still, even if you hate it, you'll have a copy of 'Just The Two Of Us' to listen to...and if you hate that, well it's time to give it up my man.

While GWJR's on my mind, does anybody have a copy of Pieces Of A Dream's 'Mt. Airy Groove' that they could stick up here? Just asking, like.

Wow what a tune, you dont happen to have Could I be Falling in love by him as sampled on Raekwons Heaven and hell.

Dark tinted safety goggles. Heaven & Earth - I Really Love You More 80's disco soul. A creamy groove with sweet male vocals. Lovely.

That is phenomenol!

I'm going to stick up a bit of jazz later on I think, and possibly some Shalamar. Out of interest though, I've just remembered I've got the full 16m45s ver of Donna Summer's Love To Love You Baby on here, does anyone need that at all? It is of course wonderful, but I imagine most of you will have it already.

Stick it up! I haven't got it.

Must pick up a Syl Johnson album - would the album above be a good place to start?

Its a great album but mostly for the title track, which is amazing!

That track you posted is from his later Back For A Taste Of Your Love album (also very good)

17594111.jpg

Which has a very similar sound to a lot of Al Green/Ann Peebles stuff which is well worth searching out.

While GWJR's on my mind, does anybody have a copy of Pieces Of A Dream's 'Mt. Airy Groove' that they could stick up here? Just asking, like.

I don't have a digital copy but I wake up to that record every morning staring at me from across my bedroom as its sitting on top of a pile of records. :)

Right, time to post a track in a smooth soul style:

Wendy Rane - After Laughter (Comes Tears)

Another request for that from me please as well, only have it in mixes.

Wow what a tune, you dont happen to have Could I be Falling in love by him as sampled on Raekwons Heaven and hell.

sorry, don't have that, maybe esar has it?

While we're doing requests anyone got Alicia Meyers - 'I want to thank you' :)

Another request for that from me please as well, only have it in mixes.

sorry, don't have that, maybe esar has it?

While we're doing requests anyone got Alicia Meyers - 'I want to thank you' :)

Both on vinyl only i'm afraid. I love 'I Want To Thank You', its dope!

B00004S2EI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So, today I was listening to this album. It's mighty fine. The opener and title track starts with a blast and really grabs your attention. Madlib has sampled it (on Madvillainy I think) and he also covered it on his Shades of Blue album. It was the first track on my mix club disc to bph but I've upped it for you all to hear too:

Donald Byrd - Stepping Into Tomorrow

The whole album is very jazz/funk but it stays quite chunky, if you know what I mean. It has some bite to it rather than just being smooth. Anyway, the other standout track for me was Think Twice. Not only did the great music slap a smile across my face, but I had one of those rare moments where I had the knowledge. Influences and samples galore with this one:

1. Ralph Myers covered it (nicely) on 'The Special Album'

2. Armand Van Helden grabbed a loop for the backing to the lovely 'Flowerz'

3. Carl Craig used the chord sequence in the bridge for his own track called 'Think Twice' on The Detroit Experiment album. Respect is surely due for that fact alone. Amazing track.

Donald Byrd - Think Twice

B00004S2EI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So, today I was listening to this album. It's mighty fine. The opener and title track starts with a blast and really grabs your attention. Madlib has sampled it (on Madvillainy I think) and he also covered it on his Shades of Blue album. It was the first track on my mix club disc to bph but I've upped it for you all to hear too:

Donald Byrd - Stepping Into Tomorrow

The whole album is very jazz/funk but it stays quite chunky, if you know what I mean. It has some bite to it rather than just being smooth. Anyway, the other standout track for me was Think Twice. Not only did the great music slap a smile across my face, but I had one of those rare moments where I had the knowledge. Influences and samples galore with this one:

1. Ralph Myers covered it (nicely) on 'The Special Album'

2. Armand Van Helden grabbed a loop for the backing to the lovely 'Flowerz'

3. Carl Craig used the chord sequence in the bridge for his own track called 'Think Twice' on The Detroit Experiment album. Respect is surely due for that fact alone. Amazing track.

Donald Byrd - Think Twice

very very nice,

This thread is gonna cost me so much money, far too many albums I now want.

Oh yeah, a couple of other good tunes that I heard on my mp3 player at work this morning. The first is a dusty old jazz influenced disco number from Milton Hamilton called 'We Have All The Time'

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...E554507175EB543

The second is a more electro soul affair with some nice female vocals. The track is Jeannie Tracy - I Feel Like Dancing

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...632DB6521A5F2E0

Both from the Joey Negro & Sean P compilation - The Soul of Disco, which is pretty good.

Hey Acidbearboy...that Donald Byrd tune is a Mizell Bros production - you should check all their stuff...

Johhny Hammond's Gear and Tauras LP's are fantastic. I'd post something from them but i haven't ripped them yet.

I found that on Beatport today. I'd only heard it in a mix from a while ago, God knows where. I said it in the other thread, but it really is like Theo Parrish went back in time to the 30s by accident and tried to make it in a blues band by making techno with what he had available. I much prefer this to the remix.

I Wanna Be Where You Are has now become firmly placed as my favourite tune from this thread. It's stunning. I must have listened to it about 10 times in a row earlier. It will never go on long enough even if there was a 2 day edit somewhere.

Here's another stone cold gas for you guys to get your strut on to. Marvin Gaye - Where are we Going?. When that trumpet kicks in, man alive!

An impressive thread building up here. What is becoming clear is the wide and diverse sound that encompasses the phrase "Soul Music". I have more of a leaning to the 80's soul sound, but there have been some classic tracks posted up from other era's. My favourite so far has to be Cesar Mariano - Estacao do Norte. I'd love to see this track performed live.

Anyway, two tracks from me tonight.

Lalo Schifrin - Dirty Harry Main Theme

Surely everybody's heard it before, but I thought I'd post it up just for the few that have not heard the genius that is Schifrin. I could listen to the Dirty Harry Anthology LP all night long.

And then something down tempo from the 80's down tempo from Def Jam!!! From the album The Finer Things In Life, a quality 80's smooth sound. Listen to that 808.

Chuck Stanley - Never Gonna Let You Go.mp3

The only other song I've heard by Imagination is 'Burnin' Up', on some Joey Negro mix, and that's pretty sweet. I'd appreciate a bit more Imagination, even if I am on the verge of playing out 'Flashback' completely- cheers!

Try this

Imagination - Music & Lights.mp3

My favourite Imagination tune which got a hypnotic bass melody.

Thanks very much. Like I say, it's one of my favourite songs. So happy to be hearing the whole thing, although maybe part of the appeal on the album is that it's so fleeting. Like a butterfly just came and landed on your nose for a few seconds before flying off again.

In relation to I Wanna Be Where You Are (extended edit) - Marvin Gaye

:)

Marvin's voice is just so sweet.

I'm going to have to take it back a little further and post some more prime Charles Wright, I'm afraid. These tunes are from their 1968 beast 'Together'.

First up, '65 Bars and a Taste of Soul'. This is a masterclass on how you arrange an instrumental. Pure swagger.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...9B888E6029A21C4

Next, 'Do Your Thing'. Charles' own rhythm guitar work (in from around 2:32) just does me SO HARD. Good god.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...04EA1DB73D19445

I promise, any further contribution to this fine thread will focus on other soul acts. I've just been on a serious Charles Wright trip this last week. I'm sure you understand.

I've just remembered I've got the full 16m45s ver of Donna Summer's Love To Love You Baby on here, does anyone need that at all? It is of course wonderful, but I imagine most of you will have it already.

Hell yeah! That's the kind of thing i'd hunt down an m4a -> mp3 convertor for...

Not sure why..but this seems to remind of my old school days in Battersea about 24 years ago (1982) - just as odd is that its a vocal track....still, whatever - i never tire of it....

Heatwave - Grooveline

Its actually one of few songs i can just play and play...

I actually mentioned to J. Negro that he should use this for a remix at his forum but i don't think he replied to it.

The chorus is one of those that sounds good when played at any speed and was one i'd like someday put into a Hip Hop accapella.

That's ace! As you say, the chorus is great- and I especially love the Chas 'n Dave-style piano solo about halfway through. Gertcha!

Right....another one of my "desert Island" Jazz Funkers....its been used recently by J. Negro and used to be very rare until it appeared on nearly every Acid Jazz compo around...

Sadly Ceri Evans doesn't make jazz funk anymore - what a loss!

Sunship - Sunship

Yeah....the breakdown is from a Tribe called quest's Footprints (you knew that Cal right?)

Carl Craig also reworked it on that Detroit Compo i've got somewhere.

Hey...i posted this a while back to no avail and i've now posted it at Joey's Negro forum...but does anyone know the name of this track (its my own rushed version - its only about as good is i remember it).

It must have come out around 1989-1990ish

A track i made but dont know!

Many thanks.

Jay Dee/Dilla gave that song his little old underground Detroit hip-hop/neo-soul reworking on his BBE album, Welcome 2 Detroit. Tight!

Any chance of an mp3?

Of course!

Think Twice - Jay Dee

The guy could flip many styles and do it well. The same album features some contemporisations of a short Earth, Wind & Fire groove, and a short and sweet uptempo burst of bossa nova.

If you like Steppin' Into Tomorrow you should check out Donald Byrd's Spaces & Places:

c7429385pd7.jpg

Its very similar as its also produced by the Mizell Bros. but its a slightly better album imo.

GAH! Can everyone stop posting great tunes? My net connection is down for 24hrs and I'm way behind again! I'm still trying to catch up from the weekend, for flip's sake!

Anyway, I HEART Sunship by Sunship...it reminds me of the days of the RedEye in Lewisham in 1991...Patrick Forge and Gilles Peterson DJ'ng...Mick Talbot playing the keys for Galliano...all in a place the size of a matchbox...*wipes nostalgic tear from rheumy old eye*

Anyway, before I shoot off again, here's that Donna Summer track for those who wanted it. Enjoy!

Love To Love You Baby 16m 45s