The electronica thread

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#1 Shoes

Shoes
  • Supporters
  • 9752 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:32 PM

I wanted to say something about Ochre's new album, Lemodie, but I didn't want to make a whole topic dedicated to it. Because it'd get no replies. So I suppose this is a general electronica thread.

I bought it when it was released a few weeks ago, and I was pretty disappointed. It didn't feel as melodic and beautiful as his other work, and what I had heard before the album's release (Bluebottles) is probably the best on the record. Ochre's known for his glitchy beats and smooth melodies, but in 'Bluebottles' the glitchy beats go out the window and are replaced with some nice sampled brush drums. And the melodies and still there, but on this track, like the rest on the EP, uses a lot of real instruments. Mostly string instruments. No Boards of Canadaesque guitars here. The new sounds are perhaps a bit less jaring than Boards of Canada's latest album because Ochre's compositions have always been very close to classical.

I'm still a tad unconvinced, but I am by Ochre himself in general. I like some of his unreleased, early stuff more than anything he's put out on CD.

In conclusion: pizz of out ten. Get these: Time for the Gallery; The End of the Rise.

I also bought Arovane's Lillies a few days ago, which is ace. Reminds me a little of good Susumu Yokota.

The end.

#2 Vimster

Vimster
  • Members
  • 8838 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:40 PM

Really enjoying the latest ISAN album on Morr Music, Plans Drawn In Pencil. They've totally gone digital by the sounds of it, lots of glitchy melodic sinewaves - yummm. It does get quite abstract in places, but it shouldn't frighten off the casual listener.

Also really loving stuff on the 12k label. Super-minimal sounds, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but great for those long dark evenings in.

#3 Mr Do 71

Mr Do 71
  • Supporters
  • 30910 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

Gosh, just how beautiful is The End Of The Rise. The lovely sounds for the first 3m are so lush, then the track kicks in and just gets better and better :(

Classic tune.

#4 The Boatman

The Boatman
  • Members
  • 3088 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

Damn you, Shoes, I'd sworn not to do any Internet shopping today :(

I've recently got into Susumu Yokota in a big way, so have ordered Lillies and also 'And I Went to Sleep' by Motohiro Nakashima, which I found while browsing similar artists on Boomkat.

Will post impressions when they arrive!

#5 Eighthours

Eighthours
  • Members
  • 15112 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:20 PM

I'd love to get into a bit of electronica. What are the all-time classics I should be "locating"?

#6 Vimster

Vimster
  • Members
  • 8838 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:55 PM

I'd love to get into a bit of electronica. What are the all-time classics I should be "locating"?

Well, Aphex Twin, Autechre, they're the obvious first choice electronica acts. Try
Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works vol 2
Autechre - Tri Repetae
Autechre - Draft 7.30

Older stuff tends to be more electro/techno influenced, whereas more recent stuff is alot more digital and glitchy, to be very general about it.

#7 Shoes

Shoes
  • Supporters
  • 9752 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:03 PM

Gosh, just how beautiful is The End Of The Rise. The lovely sounds for the first 3m are so lush, then the track kicks in and just gets better and better :D

Classic tune.

Yeah, it's gorgeous. Reminds me a little of the music that plays during the last few minutes of the three-day cycle on Majora's Mask. He's a big Zelda fan, so it may have inspired him.

Damn you, Shoes, I'd sworn not to do any Internet shopping today :)

I've recently got into Susumu Yokota in a big way, so have ordered Lillies and also 'And I Went to Sleep' by Motohiro Nakashima, which I found while browsing similar artists on Boomkat.

Will post impressions when they arrive!

Excellent. I've never heard of Nakashima, so I may have to check him out. I'm really digging Lillies, though. Really, really nice, atmospheric stuff.

Well... Boards of Canada's Music has the Right to CHildren and Geogaddi are my favourites. I've gotten into Plaid a lot, too. My favourite of theirs is Rest Proof Clockwork, but Not For Threes is considered their best. I think. Any Aphex Twin is considered classic, but his best is Richard D. James Album. His Selected Ambient Works (either of them) are worth checking out, too. Kelpe's Sea Inside Body isn't considered an all-time classic, but that's because no-one knows about it. I think it's fantastic. Really phat beats and nice melodies. It's a winner.

'electronica' is way vague, though. The stuff I listed above is all IDM, but there's lots of other electronica.

#8 Shoes

Shoes
  • Supporters
  • 9752 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:14 PM

Really enjoying the latest ISAN album on Morr Music, Plans Drawn In Pencil. They've totally gone digital by the sounds of it, lots of glitchy melodic sinewaves - yummm. It does get quite abstract in places, but it shouldn't frighten off the casual listener.

Also really loving stuff on the 12k label. Super-minimal sounds, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but great for those long dark evenings in.

I'll have a listen to some of 12k's stuff.

BoomKat have a fantastic Moor sale on at the moment, and I picked up Lali Puna's Scary World Theory, which I really like. I'll have to investigate some more on the label.

BoomKat is great generally. Lots of cheap Ninja Tune stuff on there now. They charge postage, but some of their stuff is really cheap, and they always deliver farily quickly. Three thumbs up!

#9 Vimster

Vimster
  • Members
  • 8838 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

Well... Boards of Canada's Music has the Right to CHildren and Geogaddi are my favourites. I've gotten into Plaid a lot, too. My favourite of theirs is Rest Proof Clockwork, but Not For Threes is considered their best. I think. Any Aphex Twin is considered classic, but his best is Richard D. James Album. His Selected Ambient Works (either of them) are worth checking out, too. Kelpe's Sea Inside Body isn't considered an all-time classic, but that's because no-one knows about it. I thinkit's fantastic. Really phat beats and nice melodies. It's a winner.

'electronica' is way vague, though. The stuff I listed above is all IDM, but there's lots of other electronica.

Basically we're talking Warp Records up to about 1999 before they lost the plot and started trying to follow trends rather than create them. Boards Of Canada, Autechre, Aphex, Squarepusher, etc.

Electronica is such a loose term, you're right. It's like jazz, on one hand you have some ragtime dance band and on the other Albert Ayler. Is electro electronica? Some would say no. Whatever, it's electronic music with a leaning to the experimental. It's the science fiction of music: tends to concentrate on the technical side of things, puts alot of people off because it's seen as nerdy, male-dominated, too clever, etc, but if someone takes the time to go through it they'll find it's more than just 'stupid noises'.

#10 The Boatman

The Boatman
  • Members
  • 3088 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

'Sakura' by Susumu Yokota is a classic, highly recommended.

#11 Cosmic_Guru

Cosmic_Guru
  • Members
  • 4881 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:42 PM

Electronica is a very broad church.

I like the early Krautrock stuff like Cluster and Harmonia and also mimimilist / dubby stuff but not out and out techno / dance. Then there is the ambient scene as featured in a recent thread.

So some specific recommendations:

Cluster 2

Posted Image

Cluster were Dieter Moebius and Hans Joachim Roedelius and in the early seventies were true electonic pioneers.

Harmonia - musik von Harmonia

Posted Image

the same personnel with Michael Rother from Neu added.

Moving to more recent stuff this is absolutely lush and summery - Mouse on Mars Iaora Tahiti

Posted Image

This is my favourite mouse on mars album but the compilation Rost Pocks (geddit) is also recommended

For a complete contrast try this - Faultline - Closer colder (parental advisory required on one track!)

Posted Image

For minimalist stuff you may be best off starting with a compilation from Kompakt, Mille Plateaux or Raster Noton and investigating further the tracks you like best. The Pole CDs are also worth checking out.

Finally I have recently bought the Roedelius compilation double CD and it is a superb overview of his work from 1968 to date and showcases the variation in the genre.

#12 ngchol

ngchol
  • Supporters
  • 4216 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:54 PM

I just had a weekly new releases email from Resident (great music shop in Brighton) saying that Nebulae from Outputmessage was an essential electronica purchase, but that's the first I've heard of them - has anybody else heard this?

#13 Vimster

Vimster
  • Members
  • 8838 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

I just had a weekly new releases email from Resident (great music shop in Brighton) saying that Nebulae from Outputmessage was an essential electronica purchase, but that's the first I've heard of them - has anybody else heard this?

Mailouts from record shops/sites that say "essential release" or "a must-listen" should always be taken witha pinch of salt anyway, they are trying to sell you stuff after all.

The Outputmessage LP didn't sound that essential to me. Pleasant melodic electronic music, nice sounds, but it did seem to lack personality. I dunno, maybe it is essential and I'm just out of step, wouldn't surprise me.

#14 Mr Do 71

Mr Do 71
  • Supporters
  • 30910 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:07 PM

Black Dog Productions - (Bytes)
Plaid - Double Figure + Shoes 2 recommendations + the P-Brane EP & Booc EP
Gescom - Key Nell 1, 2, 3, 4
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi, In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country, Hi-Scores EP
Yimino - Yimino EP & The Evolution Of Bulbuss And The Polymorphic Nightmare - http://www.yimino.com - for free tracks off both releases. A new album is coming soon :)
Plus go here for 2 more free tracks: http://www.remixcomm.../user/168/track - Apone Fenex and Cuedos :D
The Black Dog - Spanners
Push Button Objects - Dirty Dozen
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is a must, SAWII is pure ambient, I Care Because You Do
AFX - Analogue Bubblebath 1 & 3
Sun Electric - Kitchen
Squarepusher - Beep Street :D .. fab track
Balil - Norte Route ...worth getting as it's on the excellent Plaid compilation Trainer
µ-Ziq - Tango N' Vectif CD
Amen Andrews vs. Spac Hand Luke - London - listen/grab here: http://www.headphone...love-noise.html
Ovuca - Wasted Sunday

With Autechre, you best start with Incunabula and Amber

#15 Mr Do 71

Mr Do 71
  • Supporters
  • 30910 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:24 PM

Here you go Eighthours, a classic track from the Aphex Twin...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DE17C9C723DE0176

Pancake Lizard

Enjoy.

#16 Rsdio

Rsdio
  • Members
  • 8577 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:50 PM

Mr Do knows the score, that's a fine list. Bytes is a good place to start I reckon. I'd have to add LFO's Frequencies and Aphex's Polygon Window stuff. Plus Drexciya, the only problem being that their best release (the CD version of The Quest) commands silly prices now.

#17 Zomby

Zomby
  • Members
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

Wisp
Luke Vibert
Frog Pocket
edIT
The Flashbulb
Mouse On Mars
Vector Lovers
Squarepusher

Those are some of the artists that I listen to, but I listen to sooo much I could write a list as long as my arm :)

P.S

Oh and could I just add that it annoys me when people say oh I listen to electronica.. I like Aphex Twin, Autechre etc.. I mean come on there’s more artists out there than you can shake a stick at!

#18 MDK

MDK
  • Members
  • 2091 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:08 PM

I've been going through most of my electronica albums lately, rediscovering stuff I've not listened to in ages and the one album that's made a huge impression on me is 7 Hurtz - Electroleum.

I've always liked it, but it's only now that it really stands out from the other electronica I've heard. It's very warm and delicately textured stuff - www.beatport.com/artist/7+Hurtz

#19 redbloodcel

redbloodcel
  • Supporters
  • 14514 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

No-one has mentioned Amon Tobin yet, so I will. Get Out From Out Where and Supermodified. If you're looking for tracks I'd reccomend Verbal as a brilliant one.

#20 Shoes

Shoes
  • Supporters
  • 9752 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

I wanted this thread to contain all types of electronic music, not just 'alternate' stuff.

I consider Bonobo partly electronic, primarily because I can't think of a genre to put him in, and his new album is out soon. YES.

Kid Koala doesn't belong here, but his new album has been named. Your Mom's Favourite DJ. ;) I love him. It's going to be more like his first tape than his two albums; a mix tape of sorts. Mm!

#21 acidbearboy

acidbearboy
  • Members
  • 14707 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

Seeing as Shoes doesn't just want alternative electronica in here (of which I'm not too knowledgable) I'll chip in with something a little different.

Paul Woolford has released a series of 3 EP's this year entitled 'Modernist'. They are not what I'd class as electronica as they have a pretty standard 4/4 beat and groove. But I reckon they combine the house/techno/electronic genres pretty well. Sample track here

Also, I'd urge anybody to check out some of James Holden's work, as well as most of the other stuff from his 'Border Community' label. The Nathan Fake album 'Drowning in a Sea of Love' is particularly nice.

#22 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12122 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

<Lots of Germans>
Finally I have recently bought the Roedelius compilation double CD and it is a superb overview of his work from 1968 to date and showcases the variation in the genre.

Hey, I just bought this too! I bought it off the back of his collaborations with Eno, but i'm thoroughly delighted to have discovered there's a load of Cluster / Harmonium tracks. Crazy packaging too. Basically, the Germans rule.

@ Eighthours: 'Amber' by Autechre, and SAWII by the Aphex Twin. The only thing is, nearly everything's a disappointment after hearing them ;)

#23 Shoes

Shoes
  • Supporters
  • 9752 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:06 PM

I think I'm one of the few people in the world who dislikes SAW II.

#24 Mr Do 71

Mr Do 71
  • Supporters
  • 30910 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

Not even the beautiful nostalgic sounds, of track 8 side B?

#25 redbloodcel

redbloodcel
  • Supporters
  • 14514 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:20 PM

Well if this is supposed to be generally about electronic gubbins, I'll take it as an opportunity to big up Radioactive man, and tell you all to go find Airlock from wherever you may choose right now, as it's fantastic.

#26 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12122 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:26 AM

What a shame. Are you sure? It's a bona fide, untouchable masterpiece. Try again man!

#27 ngchol

ngchol
  • Supporters
  • 4216 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:07 AM

I've recently been listening to a lot of Bola - he has some beautiful sounds and slow-building grooves in his work. This is Effanajor off 2004's "Gnayse".

http://www.y o u s e n d i t .com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=4F51D05069158A5E

#28 Mr Do 71

Mr Do 71
  • Supporters
  • 30910 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

Bola - Soup :)

#29 Shoes

Shoes
  • Supporters
  • 9752 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

Not even the beautiful nostalgic sounds, of track 8 side B?

That's actually pretty lovely!

What a shame. Are you sure? It's a bona fide, untouchable masterpiece. Try again man!

I'm not entirely sure, really. I haven't listened to it properly. It just seems a little... well, boring.

Well if this is supposed to be generally about electronic gubbins, I'll take it as an opportunity to big up Radioactive man, and tell you all to go find Airlock from wherever you may choose right now, as it's fantastic.

Yeah! That's on Adam Freeland's FabricLive mix. It's good shit. I love the white noise!

I've recently been listening to a lot of Bola - he has some beautiful sounds and slow-building grooves in his work. This is Effanajor off 2004's "Gnayse".

http://www.y o u s e n d i t .com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=4F51D05069158A5E

I picked up... I forget what it's called. Oh yeah; Soup. I wasn't utterly convinced. It's nice enough, and I like 'Aguilla'. I'll check out that track you posted.

#30 Vimster

Vimster
  • Members
  • 8838 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:42 AM

SAWII is a classic, no doubt. The vinyl version goes for silly money on eBay these days, mainly because it has an extra track and it comes on nice coloured vinyl - a rather tasty package.

As for the music it isn't all fantastic, but it's one of those albums you can put on and leave on without skipping.

Another couple of names for you:
Solvent
Skanfrom
Ceephax Acid Crew

All more traditional-sounding than the digital stuff today, more electro/analogue. I'm really really into this sort of sound at the moment. Skanfrom in particular, reminds me of old C64 games without the 'chip' tag. He also had an album out as Television Set which is worth tracking down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users