2D Zelda type games?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Arctic Feather

Arctic Feather
  • Members
  • 2410 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

I've been playing the original Zelda and Link's Awakening recently and was wondering if there were many other games you could recommend in the same vein (other than the other zelda titles obviously).

From a quick google I have found startropics and it's sequel which I'll try out in a bit, any others?

#2 Mr Peckerston

Mr Peckerston
  • Members
  • 1150 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:59 PM

Guardian of Paradise is quite similar to the Zelda games, but it only has minimal RPG elements which make it more similar to Four Swords than the earlier titles. It's only around 5 hours long and there are a couple of times where you might have to guess the combination for a lock unless you can read the Japanese clues, but apart from that it's easily my favourite non-Zelda action/rpg game.

Gunman's Proof is kind of like Zelda too, although that comparison is probably pushing it a bit because it focuses on shooting enemies and dodging fireballs more than solving puzzles.

Terranigma is a great SNES action/rpg that I guess you've heard of before, and I've never played Crystalis but apparently it's brilliant.

#3 Klatrymadon

Klatrymadon
  • Members
  • 2515 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:18 PM

I love Alundra on the PS. It has really nice art direction and music, a decent, compelling story and lots of absolutely devilish puzzles. It'll keep you occupied for a good while. However, it's less like the original thought-inducing, explorative Zelda and bit more like the item-obsessed modern Zeldas.

The PAL version isn't bad, and you can get that for around a quid on eBay. :)

#4 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:28 PM

IF you're not confined to Nintendo consoles, Soleil and Story Of Thor on Megadrive are worth anybodies time. As is Landstalker (more isometric viewpoint, mind).

#5 Arctic Feather

Arctic Feather
  • Members
  • 2410 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, am giving Gunman's Proof a go now and it seems very good, but there's an annoying sound problem in zsnes, so will have to try another emulator.

I have Terranigma already (the original cart :)) it's a great game, but never got round to completing it. Will check out all the other suggestions soon.

#6 DJ_Mike

DJ_Mike
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:32 PM

Dicing Knight on Wonderswan is quite good, and bizarrely (for a Japanese game) it's also in English - however you need to have a Wonderswan, and I have no idea if it's still available anywhere ;D

M;.

#7 Bad Otter Fingers

Bad Otter Fingers
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

Alundra (first one) on PS1. Aces, but a bit tough later on.

#8 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:04 PM

If you have a Saturn, consider Shining Wisdom, or that other one - by the Streets of Rage bloke; it's called "Legend of Oasis" in the USA.

#9 Butane Bob

Butane Bob
  • Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:00 AM

I found legend of oasis/story of thor 2 to be pretty crap. Crystalis is pretty cool though, and also the only game of its kind to be put out by SNK.

Check out Neutopia 1 and 2 on the turbografx, zelda clones to the max and theyre pretty cool to boot. Also Illusion of Time/Gaia on the snes aswell.

#10 shynra

shynra
  • Members
  • 3303 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:48 AM

I remember this on the amiga, hailing it as amigas zelda (on a coverdisk demo at least)...

http://hol.abime.net/2055

Was it any good i wonder (only played the demo and didnt think much of it)...

#11 matt0

matt0
  • Members
  • 2595 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:08 PM

I remember this on the amiga, hailing it as amigas zelda (on a coverdisk demo at least)...

I'll never understand the thinking behind the glut of Zelda clones that appeared on the Amiga just before it died... They all looked pretty enough but played like pish.

Never played the full Spheris Legacy but didn't think much of the demo either. You couldn't pick up bushes and throw them around like in LTTP, for some reason when I was 13 I thought that was the most incredible thing I'd ever seen in a game... Also I thought the graphics were way too saccharine (or "gay" as I probably would have put it back then) compared to the perfectly judged visuals in LTTP.

I wanted it to be brilliant (along with Dragon Stone and Legends) because I loved LTTP on my mates SNES, but they were all terrible :) .

#12 Unofficial Who

Unofficial Who
  • Members
  • 15318 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:17 AM

I have this on the CD32.

Haven't played this much, partially because the anti piracy sheet (black on black for a CDRom FFS) and I got stuck on an island where crap throwing cows make it difficult to make progress.

I keep telling myself I'll go back to it but given the huge backlog of games I have yet to playthrough...haven't reloaded for 10 years now.

#13 Lok

Lok
  • Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:21 AM

Proud owner of us ff3 and us chronno trigger, yummy

#14 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 29811 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:03 AM

Gunman's Proof is kind of like Zelda too, although that comparison is probably pushing it a bit because it focuses on shooting enemies and dodging fireballs more than solving puzzles.

Just had a go of this on an emulator and its actually pretty good. Although the graphics seem to be total rip off of the Zelda game. It wouldnt surprise me if they both used the same graphics engine! Something which surprises me as I always thought Nintendo kept game engines to specific games rather than loan them out.

#15 Butane Bob

Butane Bob
  • Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:21 AM

Check this out, it's a freeware japanese pc game called guardian of paradise and aeon genesis have translated it. Very zelda style from what i've played so far, and it looks gorgeous.

Cheers.

http://agtp.romhack.net/rakuga.html

#16 Mr Peckerston

Mr Peckerston
  • Members
  • 1150 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:56 AM

Check this out, it's a freeware japanese pc game called guardian of paradise and aeon genesis have translated it. Very zelda style from what i've played so far, and it looks gorgeous.

Cheers.

http://agtp.romhack.net/rakuga.html

I mentioned that game in my first post, but I had no idea that the translation had been finished. Cheers for the link, it's an amazing game.

#17 Arctic Feather

Arctic Feather
  • Members
  • 2410 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:13 PM

Proud owner of us ff3 and us chronno trigger, yummy

Well, uh, good for you?

Really been enjoying Gunman's Proof, so probably won't get round to the other suggestions until I'm done with that.

I had completely forgotten about Shining Wisdom, I have it, but never did get round to completing it, so it may be next on the list.

#18 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 29811 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

Really been enjoying Gunman's Proof, so probably won't get round to the other suggestions until I'm done with that.

o/\o im really enjoying it too. Bit slow to begin with, the introduction story lasted ages but well worth sitting through.

#19 Alf81

Alf81
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:25 AM

8Bit - I can't recommend GoldenAxeWarrior (SMS) enough, some would call it a cheap Zelda knockoff but the truth is that it is so much better than Zelda IMO.

16Bit - CrusaderOfCenty (MD), again, called a Zelda knockoff by many but I liked this better. And of course BeyondOasis (MD)...

32Bit - LegendOfOasis (SS). And Alundra (PSX) endeed, spend sooo many hours on this game.

#20 Klatrymadon

Klatrymadon
  • Members
  • 2515 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

I'm replaying Alundra now and I'm getting stuck all over again. I remember consulting a FAQ years ago - to my shame - because I was stuck on some puzzle involving gold statues of suns, moons and whatnot. The solution ended up being really simple, but it was presented in a rather confusing way.

As I have a rubbish memory, I'm stuck in the same fucking room now. ;)

#21 Alf81

Alf81
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

Klatrymadon - It's the place where you have put the sculptures on top of each other, right? If that's the case it should be done in this order: Water, Sun, Moon, Star, water the lowest one.

#22 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 29811 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:46 AM

Im currently working my way through Illusion of Time/Gaia which is pretty similar in style to Zelda with added RPG exp points. Hihgly recommended as it has quite an engrossing story and is pretty fun to play.

#23 Klatrymadon

Klatrymadon
  • Members
  • 2515 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:01 AM

Hehe, cheers Alf, but I got it soon after typing that.

I remember there being plenty of convoluted pillar-sliding puzzles later on. Can't wait. :wub:

#24 Alf81

Alf81
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

Some of the puzzles in Alundra is quite a challenge I'll agree, first time I completed the game 100% it took me AGES! :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users