Rowan Morrison

Audio Club

2,475 posts in this topic

iirc...

Uncheck Auto-Warp long samples in preferences.

Also detail view of an audio clip has it too. Turn it off and i think it'll revert it to a normal audio file.

Thank you - my eyes skipped over "auto-warp long samples" a dozen times.

I really like that, good stuff. I'd love to hear what the drums sounded like compressed to buggery and distorted, but it's great as it stands.

I churned this out after work, as usual soundcloud has done strange things to the dynamics, but oh well.

I did a new track over the weekend too - In Mein Tunnel.

It more or less came out spontaneously based on an old injoke (the "lyrics"), an attempt to recreate an old Sven Vath chorus I liked and listening to a bit of dubstep lately. The beats were made using Maschine, the arrangement and additional sampling was done in Ableton Live.

I knocked together another tune yesterday in about 30 minutes.

I sampled a whole verse from this amazing Finnish band I saw, who are 4 girls who all sing and play this traditional Finnish instrument, the Kantele.

I added synth bass, chip-tune style drums and a keyboard chord part.

http://soundcloud.com/mrhendo/abandoned-villa

Looking to replace the shitty ten quid mic we've been using to record onto the 8track but I'm pretty lost. Obviously want something of decent quality but ideally don't want to go over £100 (already have a preamp). Any ideas people?

I got a behringer C3, it's what I record my stuff with - along with an ancient line6 pod.

http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

make sure you get one of these

http://www.amazon.co...2?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and one of these

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's got a flat response, so no colour from the mic. You can switch the mic to front only for vocals, figure 8 for interviews or condenser for all around, and a 20hz cut for taking any booming out of the equation. I've been really impressed with such a cheap mic.

I sound like a behringer plant there!

After talking to my friend yesterday about how I have major problems writing lyrics and how there's only one thing on my soundcloud with words, this popped out of the woodwork tonight. I recorded the guitars last night, and today at work I saw a beautiful blonde lady walking towards the staff shop. The door slammed, and they were suddenly shut - much to the annoyance of the lovely blonde lady, and I thought 'If I had a shop, I'd open it early for you' So that's where this came from

Needs a better mix for the vocal, but that can wait till tomorrow night I think.

EDIT - Vocal is better now, next job is to seperate the bass guitar and the kick drum better.

So, I basically just mooch about occasionally in Ableton live, and, with 9 coming out in a couple of days, i'm kind of thinking, ' is it worth upgrading to the suite' now?

Looking at the prices, if I did it now, it's 200 quid vs the 100 for the normal upgrade. Definitely going to upgrade to at least the normal version, as the audio to midi thing looks very interesting for just chucking ideas down, but suite owners, is the upgrade with all the insturments and max for live worth it?

Some future garage, complete with Burial Crackle ™

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B002VA464S/

Blue Yeti mic, down to £76 from £117-odd. Apparently it's really good - I don't know enough to know but the reviews are certainly positive. It's USB, so you'd only be using it on a computer. And apparently Apple have nobbled the USB voltage since iOS5 so you can't use it on an iOS device via the camera connector without an external powered hub thing like this.

The parting glass . .

Rub it Out, Start Again;

Love the call and response vocals on here.

New demo - it's about someone who's convinced that everyone around them is being replaced by androids. I flap around a bit for the tune in the chorus, but I've finalised it now. Need to replace the vocal with a better one, but that's the idea of a demo! :-)

EDIT : Vocal is replaced and very much tidied up, but still a bit rough in places.

Finished version of Tell Me, which will be on an album I hope to release next month. I posted an earlier version of this in the Guitar thread but it only had a first-take vocal (not that you can tell much difference) and the arrangement wasn't fleshed out.

(U2031, by the album title you can probably tell where that take on 'The Bottom Of The Sea' came from and why I wanted to include it. It's the same key as a sequence of tracks on there, too - fits like a glove.

Also, I think you might just have to edit your URL to remove the 's' in 'https' and it should work. Hopefully. Dunno, I don't use the new version of SC.)

It works! Ta. I'll have a listen to yours after dinner!

So, I basically just mooch about occasionally in Ableton live, and, with 9 coming out in a couple of days, i'm kind of thinking, ' is it worth upgrading to the suite' now?

Looking at the prices, if I did it now, it's 200 quid vs the 100 for the normal upgrade. Definitely going to upgrade to at least the normal version, as the audio to midi thing looks very interesting for just chucking ideas down, but suite owners, is the upgrade with all the insturments and max for live worth it?

I've got live 8 standard and its fine if you have a load of plug ins already, but if you're looking to get something to start from scratch with I've heard good things about Suite. I'm trying to decide whether to go for the regular or suite upgrade. I already have NI komplete so really I don't need more stuff, but is tempting, especially with that Push controller...

Finished version of Tell Me, which will be on an album I hope to release next month. I posted an earlier version of this in the Guitar thread but it only had a first-take vocal (not that you can tell much difference) and the arrangement wasn't fleshed out.

Had a couple of listens now, and I'm always reminded of a geordie Jarvis, not that you've got a strong accent but it does come through. It's very well polished, I liked the little instrumental flourish at a minute or so in. Funny you should mention my song and the key it's in, because I'm thinking about re-recording it in E rather than D as it's a touch deep for me. I tune everything two steps down for playing in the pub, and that's how it was set up when I recorded it, but I use normal tuning the rest of the time.

Thanks for the feedback. The Jarvis thing, though - urgh. I didn't expect that. I can't hear it myself but it's a bit disappointing/disturbing to hear it said about that track, because there's another track going on the album, which I recorded ages ago and which, unlike this one - until tonight - did get some 'oh, it's like Jarvis' comments, and although I didn't agree with them I could kind of, sort of, see where they were coming from. So I'm in bother if anyone thinks that about this one - the other stuff will probably sound far moreso, like a cheap copy or something. Which I hate to hear.

Anyway, urgh. Thanks, I mean. But actually you've probably killed me off there. But thanks. :(

I still like that tune of yours btw - the sea one's still the best tune. Now that didn't sound like Jarvis, did it?

Bugger.

But thanks.

I wouldn't worry to be honest, it's good company to have.

Ableton Live 9 is giving me problems. CPU going over 100% and clipping while using the native instruments. Weird as I never really had problems with 8.