Rowan Morrison

Audio Club

2,508 posts in this topic

Let's have a general audio thread where people can post up any old scrod anytime without it being a contest or having a theme. Songs, loops, sound effects, noise blasts, human beatbox adventures, whatever. It'll be a sonic version of the random photos thread. Stuff you've done, of course, not a general breeding ground for MP3 links.

Anyone who hasn't got space to host their files, an easy solution is to sign up to Google Pages - or something similar - so we don't have to toss around with yousendit and suchlike.

I'll kick off with something I just knocked up on account of being off sick, fifty seconds of your time:

Sheneighed

Now let's assemble enough crap to fill a CDR, and then post it to The News of The World or something.

Haven't done any more work on this. But here it is so far.

Beginnings of a DrumNBass track. Called "Dr.King" at the moment.

(starts loud, builds up to the full on groove yo! ride the ride! etc)

mp3 link

Alright, result!

rundll, I thought that was great, especially when the synth took over 2/3rds through. I like a bit more spastic variation in my drum & bass (I'd like to hear that synth line coupled with a distorted and dissected version of the beat) but everything goes together really well, even I can tell that.

Alan, the song in general isn't the kind of thing that blows my kilt up, but I did dig the cavalcade of layers you've got going on. Sometimes it sounded like several other songs were throwing themselves against the door, trying to get in. I liked it best when it went kind of dubby for a bit near the end. Couldn't make out any of the words, but that's never got in the way of my music appreciation before.

More sound! I'm going to try to post one thing a day, see how far I get.

Fucking ace, I'll listen to both of those tomorrow. Right now it's 3am and I just managed to finish this to a point where I'm happy to put it up. So I'm sticking to my one-a-day target so far. Started it after work:

Scars.mp3 (4.25mb)

When I have enough for an album of these it'll be called Hammer House of House. Meanwhile, enjoy the Dennis Waterman renaissance!

Beginnings of a DrumNBass track. Called "Dr.King" at the moment.

(starts loud, builds up to the full on groove yo! ride the ride! etc)

mp3 link

Would love to hear the finished version of this.

Where'd you get the (vocal) sample from?

It's a thing with a normal piano! And some delay, strings, and a triangle wave.

Top of the pops, like the Lulu show.

As for Yoñlu, that was scary enough without the punchline.

The only thing we have online.

http://www.themelee.com/mp3/trying.mp3

Needs better production and something other than that maddening driving rythmn, I know, but we haven't touched it in years.

This is very cool. Meat Beat Manifesto meets Tool. Let's have some more!

Scars.mp3 (4.25mb)

YES.

Great thread.

Would love to hear the finished version of this.

Where'd you get the (vocal) sample from?

Hmm maybe I should finish it. I might be buying a macbook pro very soon..so Ableton&Reason will

run my mad setups without stuttering. Then I can get on and get it done.

The vocal samples just came from my random 10gb collection. God knows where I got them from.

Almost everything else is programmed. The bassline is the reason combinator available on my site that I use

in pretty much everything I do. The "Bass Ship" I just love it so...

This thread might act as a motivator of sorts. Let's not let it die!

The bassline is the reason combinator available on my site that

I just downloaded that. It's insane! I mean that in the best possible way. But would it kill you to stick five or six Subtractors in?

This thread might act as a motivator of sorts. Let's not let it die!

If this thread dies then I'm going with it.

Yeah, that's the spirit! Bastion, you're keeping the dream alive.

I got sidetracked off this what with the forum being down over the weekend, but I've still been building up the loops. I might post some snippets tonight as opposed to trying to force out a whole track. Or just aim for minute-long tracks, there's a better idea.

Okay, I made some kind of crazy pledge so jam this up your noisehole:

Ass of Bass (4mb)

The loops need some tweaking and a bit more per-bar variation, but give me a break - it was two and a half minutes of silence five hours ago.

Does sampling software literally allow you to cut a bit you want out of a song? Like extracting the bass or percussion or guitar solo from a song?

Can anyone recommend any good software for good, precise sampling?

Well, careful EQing can do it sort of. But no it's not really possible to get a solo out of a suite of instruments.

You need to get hold of samples of instruments on there own ideally.

Does sampling software literally allow you to cut a bit you want out of a song? Like extracting the bass or percussion or guitar solo from a song?

As rundll said, EQing is the most common way, but it's not very precise. You can cock around with stereo effects to isolate some instruments (depending on how they're mixed), but again the results are only really going to be usable if they're buried in a mix - you wouldn't want to play them on their own in any 'serious' music. Of course, if seriousness doesn't concern you, you're at a distinct advantage.

Can anyone recommend any good software for good, precise sampling?

I prefer to use CoolEdit, which is what Adobe turned into Audition. You can pick that up easily enough and it's a very capable sampler. I don't really get on with Audacity that well, it seems sluggish at times and the way it handles selection annoys me, which is a shame as it's amazing to see a program that does what it offers for free. I keep meaning to look into its built-in scripting language, which sounds very interesting.

They're comparable in terms of what they can do, but Audacity is pretty rough aroud the edges usability-wise. I haven't really checked out any of the other sampler packages for a long time.

Does anyone here use Audiomulch? I'm trying to get my head around it at the moment, but it doesn't really seem to be clicking...

About time I threw something into this thread. Was pissing about with using convolution with my Pod II so I could have better sounding cabinets than the built in ones and happened across some nice riffs. You might want to turn your speakers down a bit before playing, the level's very hot. Apologies for the slack timing, I recorded it listening to the wet sound which had quite a few milliseconds delay because of the convolution.

Here's something that I did done today, like. It's called 'Turquoise Fire, Hexagon Window'. It's only short. And it's probably the most original electronic track you'll ever hear!!!!

I like that very much ;)

Cheers :P My guitarist reckons he has some material it'll work well with so hopefully it'll flesh out to a full tune soon.

I'm playing with some friends at a festival in Oxford this year.

As part of our set we're (probably) gonna drop in a cover.

Of what I'll let you figure out from this mp3.

Anyway we each get to a solo spot in the track so I've threw together

a backing, using the track I posted earlier as a base. Which I'll

noodle over live.

So this is just the general backing track, then my solo. Then back to

the main bit. This is WIP1, got plenty of time to refine it. All rough mixing.

mp3 link

I'm playing with some friends at a festival in Oxford this year.

As part of our set we're (probably) gonna drop in a cover.

Of what I'll let you figure out from this mp3.

Anyway we each get to a solo spot in the track so I've threw together

a backing, using the track I posted earlier as a base. Which I'll

noodle over live.

So this is just the general backing track, then my solo. Then back to

the main bit. This is WIP1, got plenty of time to refine it. All rough mixing.

mp3 link

Please just finish Dr. King. I played it at least 15 times today.

I need a full six minute version.

Please just finish Dr. King. I played it at least 15 times today.

I need a full six minute version.

urk. I'm starting to feel the pressure now. Well I do have my shiny new computer.

So using Ableton/Reason is actually a pleasure now. So it could happen soon...