Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moosegrinder

LOTR Online

1,145 posts in this topic

Seems they've commented on the NDA being broken so this probably be my last post in here for a while. Would of been far better if you actually seen something about the NDA before you got into beta becuase most betas i've done so far have thrown it in your face a 100 times before you get into the game but you get nothing here apart from a sudden warning. Oh well see you laters.

Me mate says it's borrowed heavily from WoW with the bags and various UI and gameplay mechanics. Is that the case?

Don't do that, it'll make me wish I tried the Beta. :D

:D :D

Sorry Bojy but you should have tried the Beta! :D

NDA is lifted, woohoo.

So yeah. Great game. 100% identical to WoW some might say, but in the LOTR universe...but that's no bad thing in my book.

ScreenShot00034.jpg

ScreenShot00039.jpg

100% identical to WoW some might say

To the extent of taking the piss, judging by those screenshots. :ph34r:

Not fucking many :ph34r: Still, if you get the first month free I'll trade some shite for it. Mebbe.

To the extent of taking the piss, judging by those screenshots. :ph34r:

Yep, that's why I gave up with it. Felt like I'd been there and done that. Didn't feel too Lord of the Ringsy either.

Didn't feel too Lord of the Ringsy either.

It depends on what you mean really. It's not based on the flicks so it was never gonna look like them - it's dead faithful to the books though, particularly as you advance through the story.

That whole aspect is totally inspired actually, I love the way they weave in the events of the books as you progress.

so anyone fancy giving us an overview of the gameplay now the pesky nda is out of the way?

It looks shit.

Also, anyone is there a warhammer thread?

What do you wanna know?

Graphics are very nice indeed and the questing/crafting borrows quite heavily from WOW but in a good way. I got up to level 45 out of 50 levels in 2 weeks in my first playthrough, but it was fun all the way and doesn't feel like grinding. The PVP monster play is excellent as you can play from the otherside as an orc/uruk hai/spider/warg/goblin but you start at level 50 and use destiny points to upgrade your character.

Oh yeah anyone else in beta i go by the name Yswr for free peoples and Anghenfil for monster play.

http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s...hot00018fq4.jpg

screenshot00016cl2.th.jpg

screenshot00008wt1.th.jpg

screenshot00014xk7.th.jpg

screenshot00007xc0.th.jpg

screenshot00010wz1.th.jpg

What do you wanna know?

How do the classes play? I just been reading up on it and Captains sound quite fun in theory, are they actually useful though? Oh and in case anyone is interested, Computer and Video games are currently giving out beta keys, just need to register and fill in a few bits.

One thing I love about this game is the combat. It seems very well laid out and designed, so that every single one of your specials is useful and used a lot. In WoW I could get by just spamming one attack over and over and falling asleep in the process, but LOTR makes you stay focused at all times, using your specials properly if you wanna be a true bad ass.

The classes are all really well balanced and Captains are always a healthy addtion to any group with some excellent buffs and some much needed healing in the boss battles at the end of instances. Loremasters and their mezzes are great for crowd control, rangers suit outdoor missions and tracking of enemies. The only class that really gets left behind until you get to level 40+ is the Guardian because a Champion can do pretty much the same job and deal a lot more damage but once you get to 40+ the big bosses really do need a guardian to hold the agro.

played it a bit over the weekend and didn't really feel grabbed by it. Watching gandalf saunter over and turn a troll to stone was quite cool, but other than that nothing really grabbed me. Admiteddly I only played to lvl 6, which takes hardly any time at all, but it didn't seem to have much of a spark..

Someone mentioned that they think it looked like WOW but i honestly think thats the only thing in the game which is completely different. Most things in the game feel look or handle like wow one way or another but the actual graphics do have their own style.

*Claps* very nice review there diggler pretty much everything i feel and think but in words.

Uhh..probably one of overkill :( GeForce 8800gts, 2 gigs of ram, intel duo core 6400.

It ran just as well on my previous comp though which was a 7800, athlonfx 57, etc. Not really a taxing game 'cos of the low-poly models and emphasis on instances. Not to mention 2 months of optimising they still have ahead.

I tried this on the weekend and to be honest it was a bit of a waste of time downloading 3gb of game. After 2 years of playing WoW I have to say that this feels incredibly clunky. I'd liken it to Guild Wars much more than I would to WoW and the only reason I played Guild Wars was because it had the benefit of being free!

I don't know, maybe I'm just set in my ways from playing WoW for so long. I might give it another go because I didn't give it much of a chance but it honestly struck me as an expensive version of GW. The fighting style and movement wasn't very fluid and the whole thing was generally clunky (can't think of any other word for it really). The physics of it just didn't feel right somehow.

It's a shame because I was really looking forward to trying it out :P