Sausages

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Aluco

Aluco
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

1: Buy good sausages. From the butcher or deli counter (alright Tesco's Finest are a go, but Wall's frozen offal bags are a definate no.)

2: Place the sausages in a decent frying pan, with a lid, preferably a glass see through one. Do not add anything else to the pan, no oil, fat, lard, butter or anything. Do not be tempted to do anything silly like prick them.

3: Cook on a LOW heat for a long time. Like 45 mins to an hour. The low heat is very important, you do not want to burn them or burst them.

4: Shake the pan every few mins to ensure they get cooked evenly.

The sausages will cook slowly in their own fat, which will drain out of them, through their skins, no need for holes. You will end up with some delicious meaty sausages with a nice crisp skin that should not be too thick. You might be lucky enough to get some crispy bits of carbonised fat clinging to the outside of your sausages. The remains in the pan are ace for gravy.

They take a while so put them on first and then do the rest of your food prep after.

#2 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53415 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:42 PM

DO NOT PRICK THE SAUSAGES

45 minutes is too sodding long though

#3 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27895 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:49 PM

I just put mine in a pyrex dish and put them in the oven for like 20-25 minutes

I feel so common

#4 Couch Corpse

Couch Corpse
  • Members
  • 10149 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

Absolutely, you've got to keep the flavour in there. You should cook up some nice real bacon first then cook the sausages in the bacon grease.

#5 Dork Knight

Dork Knight
  • Members
  • 13693 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

I put a splice down some many years ago, then dropped them in a deep fat fryer.

They came out looking like that inside out monkey from the Fly.

#6 aleeta-1

aleeta-1
  • Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

If you cook them in the way he describes they come out so delicious and there's loads of lush sticky stuff in the pan thats amazing mixed in with onion gravy. I'ts definately worth the wait.

#7 Aluco

Aluco
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:06 PM

Very true I have edited the first post to emphasise that point.

45 mins is the quick version. To get 'em done that fast I have to risk burning them.
Danger Will Robinson! It is worth the wait.

#8 JPickford (retired mod)

JPickford (retired mod)
  • Members
  • 36463 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:23 PM

I find all the 'finest' ranges went to crap around the time of foot and mouth. They all taste like cardboard nowadays.

The not-the-cheapest range from Walls (white packets) are really nice at the moment. I like the linconshire flavour best.

I tend to fry them on a really high heat till they are well browned then wrap in foil and bung in a low oven for about an hour. Recently I've discovered I can put them on top of the AGA hotplate cover (the hot one) instead of the oven bit.

But yes, sausages should be cooked slowly.

#9 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 30452 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

I usually do them in a Foreman, since my pan is invariably filled with eggs/ tatty scones/ bread. I'll try the slow-cook idea at some point, but I doubt my curiosity will outlast my belly.

Try my mate's cooking system:

Take frying pay used to cook last night's sausages.
Heat on hob until the rendered-down fat that's been in the pan overnight is smoking.
Throw fat out of window, hitting pan several times off windowframe to clear off burnt bits.
Return to heat, add sausages, and cook on High, on your largest burner, and leave for half an hour, or until thoroughly blackened on all sides- this means they're just right.
Douse in ketchup to hide burnt flavour.

#10 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7708 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:23 AM

the key is to make your own sausages!

then you know what you're getting

#11 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40799 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:31 AM

the key is to make your own sausages!

then you know what you're getting

Come clean, you're Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall aren't you? :)

I'd love to try making my own sausages one day. Sausages are my favourite thing in the world to eat. As far as supermarket sausages go, I tried some Paul Rankin branded Lincolnshire sausages recently, and to be honest they were out of this world. Other than that, best place I've bought sausages from is the Ginger Pig in Borough Market. They have about 30 types!

Why did I have to read this thread, I haven't had any breakfast!

#12 Looper

Looper
  • Members
  • 8392 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:36 AM

I just put mine in a pyrex dish and put them in the oven for like 20-25 minutes

I feel so common

Neh, I do exactly the same when I can't be bothered to watch the pan - they turn out great most of the time.

If anyone has a Co-Op near them their own brand Cumberland and Linconshire sausages are superb, plus you get 16 for 3.

The worst sausages I've had with a pretense of being fancy are the Sainsburys ones - they literally have big lumps of gristle in. Grim AND expensive. Winnar.

I've never cooked sausages without any oil before - I'll have to give that a go tonight.

#13 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7708 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:12 AM

If anyone has a Co-Op near them their own brand Cumberland and Linconshire sausages are superb, plus you get 16 for 3.

you mean the 63% pork ones?

#14 JPickford (retired mod)

JPickford (retired mod)
  • Members
  • 36463 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

I didn't like those. I ended up throwing half of them away.

I honestly think these are the nicest supermarket sausages:

http://www.bangers.co.uk/products.cfm

I was a big fan on the finest type a few years back but they taste horrible now. No idea what they put in there but it tastes like cardboard.

#15 David Blunkett

David Blunkett
  • Members
  • 12413 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

Not a huge sausage fan to be honest - they leave me a bit cold.

Do black pudding and hogs pudding class as a sausage ? I love both.

If I have to have sossies then my mum does them in a warming casserole. Dead simple - basically throw in a tin of chopped tomatoes, a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and one of paprika and a little garlic.

Whack in your sausages (she doesn't prefry them or anything) and stick in the ovem for about an hour and a half.

Serve with spuddies and some seasonal veg. Simple but nice on a cold winters day.

#16 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7708 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:51 AM

You can't go wrong with porkinsons!

#17 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40799 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:57 AM

I do like sausage casserole, the soft melting texture you get from slow cooking sausages in gravy is very comforting.

But on a Saturday morning, just two or 3 not too herby bangers with a bit of mustard and ketchup is my idea of bliss.

#18 Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch
  • Members
  • 20265 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:13 PM

Try my mate's cooking system:

Take frying pay used to cook last night's sausages.
Heat on hob until the rendered-down fat that's been in the pan overnight is smoking.
Throw fat out of window, hitting pan several times off windowframe to clear off burnt bits.
Return to heat, add sausages, and cook on High, on your largest burner, and leave for half an hour, or until thoroughly blackened on all sides- this means they're just right.
Douse in ketchup to hide burnt flavour.

I started to take that seriously for a moment :lol: .
Porky Whites are quite nice.
I'm an oven man, BTW.

#19 Aluco

Aluco
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:46 PM

I didn't like those. I ended up throwing half of them away.

I honestly think these are the nicest supermarket sausages:

http://www.bangers.co.uk/products.cfm

I was a big fan on the finest type a few years back but they taste horrible now. No idea what they put in there but it tastes like cardboard.

I will try them on your recommendation and see what they are like. I have avoided Wall's for a long time due to how horrible their frozen products were.

I think the Tesco's finest ones aremearly OK. They are more expensive than my local butchers and not as nice. Waitrose do some nice own brand ones.

#20 Chosty

Chosty
  • Members
  • 12908 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

I tend to fry them on a really high heat till they are well browned then wrap in foil and bung in a low oven for about an hour. Recently I've discovered I can put them on top of the AGA hotplate cover (the hot one) instead of the oven bit.

Ooooo! An AGA!

I do mine under the grill occassionally. Although this isn't the best cooking method it's worth it just to see the fat pressure build up in one of the (unpricked) sausages, causing the skin to eventually rupture and send a stream of hot fat up into the grill, where it catches fire. The end result is essentially a sausage-powered mini flamethrower.

If anyone from Team17 is reading this, I give you permission to use this as a weapon in the next Worms game.

#21 Looper

Looper
  • Members
  • 8392 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

you mean the 63% pork ones?

Yeah, those ones.

#22 aleeta-1

aleeta-1
  • Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:26 PM

best place I've bought sausages from is the Ginger Pig in Borough Market. They have about 30 types!

I dont really like their sausages, they're just about 7 times too big.

#23 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53415 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:19 AM

We got a boar sausage at the continental market last week and it's well tasty. They had duck, rabbit, and stag sausages as well.

#24 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40799 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:25 AM

they're just about 7 times too big.

How is that a bad thing?

#25 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7708 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:36 AM

How is that a bad thing?

obviously she can only handle a small sausage! ;)

#26 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40799 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:42 AM

We'll have to ask Jumble about that!

I'll hopefully go to the Ginger Pig again soon. I'll post a size comparison pic. They are quite large.

#27 Rebs

Rebs
  • Members
  • 3652 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

I'm not a sausage fan (though I love black puddin' and the like) but my other half loves them and the winners at the moment are Tesco's regular 'butchers choice' ones in the blue packet. We try all the others we come across but they win out everytime.

Slow cooking ftw, though we never manage it.

#28 aleeta-1

aleeta-1
  • Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

:P :P :lol:

Haha, I just prefer my sausages normal sausage sized rather than filling half the plate! I cant even eat 1 whole one :(

#29 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40799 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

:P :P :lol:

Haha, I just prefer my sausages normal sausage sized rather than filling half the plate! I cant even eat 1 whole one :(

You wimp! :(

They're not that big!

#30 Darragh

Darragh
  • Members
  • 15446 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

Do ye get Clonakilty sausages over there?

The best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users