The 3D Thread

• Please log in to reply
909 replies to this topic

#871 FargalEX

FargalEX
  • Members
  • 6186 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Cheers, my friend Andy has rigged/animated it!

Posted Image

#872 Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch
  • Members
  • 20110 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Attached File  bedroom 2.jpg   62.12KB   0 downloads
An old test model.

Attached File  chelsea2012_3a.jpg   408.85KB   0 downloads
Done for Chelsea 2012, the last time I did the Chelsea graphics for this designer she won Best Courtyard Garden in Show.

#873 Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch
  • Members
  • 20110 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

And as if by magic, a surprise front pager! The image is out of date though, sadly, a wall is now a hedge as above.

Attached File  MAY-ProLandscaper.png   850.37KB   0 downloads

#874 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11468 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

I've been meaning to post in here recently but I've been uber busy myself!

I've spent the majority of this year doing my degree's placement year at an ISP. They wanted me to do an animated walkthrough of their Data Centre. Now, they don't have any employees with CGI experience and I've never done Architecture, so everything I learned or wanted to learn had to be self taught.

This caused no end of problems when it come to learning Mental Ray, I can tell you!

Here are a couple of WIP renders. I can't find the finished renders, or the HD video of the walkthrough so I'm going to go pick em up tomorrow and I'll pop em on here.

Hallway WIP (No Ambient Occlusion)
Posted Image

Reception WIP
Posted Image

I've just started the final year of my Degree a week or so ago, I'm currently learning Mudbox at home in preparation of starting our first project tomorrow (I believe). It's going to be a long year.

That's not a building in Bournemouth/poole is it?

Honestly? I don't think it's shiny enough.

Posted Image

What the fuck were you doing in my office???? :)

#875 Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch
  • Members
  • 20110 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Sorry to be an old tart but one of my 3D images was just shown on the BBC Chelsea show, full screen right in your face. Can't believe it.

#876 FozZ

FozZ
  • Members
  • 1641 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

Finally getting my arse in gear with properly learning ZBrush and aiming towards a 'game ready' character.

Latest WIP
Posted Image

#877 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hey guys,

Not been on here in a while or done any 3D work for a whole come to think of it! But I have a placement for 3 months as a CGI Artist designing photorealistic interior environments. Gotta use Blender though which I've never used before so just after some tips or advice on which books or tutorials are best to help me learn?

#878 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 22986 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

Sorry to be an old tart but one of my 3D images was just shown on the BBC Chelsea show, full screen right in your face. Can't believe it.

I saw it! Whilst scrolling down the page I was thinking it looked familiar and that must be why. Nice work, sir.

#879 SpaceJump

SpaceJump
  • Members
  • 1597 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hey guys,

Not been on here in a while or done any 3D work for a whole come to think of it! But I have a placement for 3 months as a CGI Artist designing photorealistic interior environments. Gotta use Blender though which I've never used before so just after some tips or advice on which books or tutorials are best to help me learn?

This site is great for tutorials ect on Blender http://cgcookie.com/blender/

#880 Bingowings II: The Revenge

Bingowings II: The Revenge
  • Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Four months on and these are the kinds of images I do now. VRay and Cinema are absolute beasts - it's now second nature to set up a sunlight rig and prepare the model. The ArchiCAD 'ac4d' export plugin we use means that we can have a model finalised, rendered, and ready for Photoshop heavy lifting in a couple of hours. Such a change from the fucking junk we were using before. And the quick render times means I can add or fix parts of the model then render them out to patch into the existing image. Linear Workflow rules everything around me.

http://www.kistainside.se/ (The three exterior and night views were done by me with the other images produced by the office praktikants. Not entirely happy with the final results because the model looks so flat but that was the look they were after.)

And this, for a proposed devleopment outside of Stockholm. An architect built everything in SketchUp and exported a 3ds. Same quality of geometry as the ac4d file but it royally fucks with the materials and layers. The outer skin of the silver building was made by me - first I wanted to be smart and use a displacement map but it made the reflective material turn to shit so I then decided to quickly make a shape in Illustrator and extrude it. As you can see, the results are super-sharp and exactly how it is meant to look. It also had the benefit of cutting the render time in half! I would show you the other view, which is a doozy, but it gives too much away regarding the location. If the colours look too washed out or flat it is because of the colour calibration in your browser - the original is banging as fuck.

Posted Image

#881 Wintermute

Wintermute
  • Members
  • 2985 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Almost entirely down to your posts enthusing about it, I gave Cinema 4D a go a couple of weeks back. After dabbling and dipping in and out of Maya for years but always hitting a dead end somewhere, I got further with Cinema in a fraction of the time. It's just really enjoyable to model with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, so the lighting rig totally isn't mine, and the glass is a bit fucked, but it's a start! :)

#882 Bingowings II: The Revenge

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Really good, nice detail on the player.

Yeah, it's great to work with - some things need to be fixed such as the snap system (which I totally ignore and use a third-party plugin instead) and the way it handles hefty models but on the whole it suits me fine and is a pleasure to use. I guess from those renders you are probably using Cinema's Physical Render - it does tend to make things look plasticky and overly fake. If you have it or if you can *ahem* acquire it, I suggest using Cinema's Advanced Render plugin - it gives you greater control over the whole render process and gives a more natural feel to the images especially the light. And it isn't too detached from Cinema in the way Vray is which has options upon options upon options.

A lot of my work is still Photoshop, because of time constraints and how much work the architects can do with the model but I now feel a lot more relaxed about the process. I have a good idea on how the render will end up, so I can afford to work more with the 3D part adding detail and decent materials instead of trying to fix it in post. My favourite trick is using a tree material with an alpha channel, then using the Vray Composite tag to make it invisible during the render so only the shadow/reflections remain - then afterwards I add a tree in Photoshop and *zap* it's there, whereas before I spent a lot of time trying to paint in the shadow. Same with reflections in glass - I will set up a large plane with a picture on it - trees, sky, or buildings - position it so it appears in the glass, then use the same Vray tag to make it appear only in reflections. The resulting model looks mental with bits flying all over the place but I'm building a scene for a specific view and whatever works for the image.

Looking back, it seemed like complete madness to try and add these things in post. It's these kind of details which make the images feel more solid and ground them in reality a bit more. Next up is trying to find a painless system to add trees and vegetation - there are plugins aplenty but their quality and impact on render times varies.

I would suggest you follow the creators, Maxon, on twitter - a lot of guff but they do give out links to decent resources such as models and tutorials.

#883 rundll

rundll
  • Members
  • 2672 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Using Photoshop is a good move. Staying entirely in the 3D app to finish a single shot can be quite masochistic. Constantly re-rendering just to make small adjustments. Can be so much faster in the long run to think of your 3D software as a source for layers that will be composited in later. Sometimes I'll have full renders for single lights, alternate specular passes, ambient occlusion, reflections, rough mattes and depth information. Then the fun can begin in Photoshop.

#884 Bingowings II: The Revenge

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

Oh aye, I would never attempt to create a scene entirely in 3D, given that I normally quote 16 hours (20 max) for an image such as the one above, the amount of extra modelling and material work needed would destroy the budget.

I'm obsessed with Turner, so I spend an inordinate amount of time working on the sky - I recently found some incredible cloud brushes for Photoshop, they add so much detail and sharpness - once I am content with how the sky looks it influences the rest of the image. Haven't really looked into rendering out separate passes, the most I do is one for material ID and maybe an alpha for the sky.

#885 Enzil

Enzil
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

#886 rundll

rundll
  • Members
  • 2672 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Oh aye, I would never attempt to create a scene entirely in 3D, given that I normally quote 16 hours (20 max) for an image such as the one above, the amount of extra modelling and material work needed would destroy the budget.

I'm obsessed with Turner, so I spend an inordinate amount of time working on the sky - I recently found some incredible cloud brushes for Photoshop, they add so much detail and sharpness - once I am content with how the sky looks it influences the rest of the image. Haven't really looked into rendering out separate passes, the most I do is one for material ID and maybe an alpha for the sky.

The sky is always a crucial light source layer so very wise to start with it.

Where are these cloud brushes at?

#887 Bingowings II: The Revenge

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

I always build the sky in Photoshop and use it purely as a backdrop for the image, occasionally I will use a make-shift skydome if the building has a lot of glass just to get the reflections but it has no bearing on how the render turns out.

Took me a while, but these are the brushes I use. Various sizes and types, just right for adding detail to existing cloud images.

http://www.brusheezy...otoshop-brushes

#888 rundll

rundll
  • Members
  • 2672 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Nice. Looks useful.

#889 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5834 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

bingowings, what are you doing with your user account? why a new one?

#890 Bingowings II: The Revenge

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

I nuked the password on my old one because I was tired of this place and decided to knock it on the head for a while. I'm limiting myself for the most part to the this, the photography, Trainers, and Street Fighter threads - the rest is full of the same tired old clowns moaning about or wanking over the same old shite.

#891 Varnsen

Varnsen
  • Members
  • 1282 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

Bingo, in a couple of weeks I start work using Vray. You got any resources you might care to share or tips? Oh and nice work there btw. Seems like you're striking a fine balance between flexibility and quality.

#892 Bingowings II: The Revenge

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thanks. I was and still am surprised, once you understand the basics, at how easy it to use and the results you get.

These links are for the Cinema 4D version of Vray and pretty much what I relied on when starting to use it, but as far as I can tell most of the options/settings carry across to different platforms.

http://www.thec4dvau...troducing-vray/
Download a 30+ page PDF outlining Vray basics that goes into some depth regarding sampling levels, materials, and different light settings for interiors/exteriors. Again, for Cinema, but the information can be used as a starting point for other versions.

http://vrayc4d.com/manuals/booktree
Basic reference manual for Vray, listing all the options, what they do, and the effect they have on scenes. I use this all the time when I need to recall what numbers to use for turbidity and ozone levels or if I'm having problems with a render.

I used to spend a lot of time looking at visualisation blogs, but all of the WIP/finished pieces were trying to be realistic and it eventually bored me to tears - pixel-perfect lighting and materials. Nice to look at on a technical level, but aesthetically dry and tedious. Now I get my inspiration from places like CGHub and this guy's work. I take a lot of photos as well, which helped a great deal in understanding Vray's Physical Camera - it utilises things like f-stop, ISO, white balance, and shutter speed - now I approach lighting a scene in the same way I would take a photograph.

#893 Varnsen

Varnsen
  • Members
  • 1282 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Great, thanks. I appreciate it. I'll be sure to report back once I've done some work in it.

#894 Retroid

Retroid
  • Members
  • 7272 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

http://youtu.be/VFOPfPvEKX8

Nice, but perhaps replace the audio with a higher quality version. It'll create a better experience and whilst it shouldn't matter it may do.

#895 FozZ

FozZ
  • Members
  • 1641 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Nice, but perhaps replace the audio with a higher quality version. It'll create a better experience and whilst it shouldn't matter it may do.

If it's being sent with a CV then dont even bother with audio. Chances of it being listened to are slim, and no one cares what your favourite song is. Include images of your models with poly counts, texture usage, etc. as basic jpegs in a folder. They're quick to look though, any PC will display them. If it takes any additional effort to get your amazing videos / flash presentation / interactive-puppet-show-spectacular to load then chances are you'll be put on the no pile. Companies usually receive way too many applicants to care more than that.

If it's for your mates to look at on youtube and go 'oooh, thats nice' then by all means spruce it up.

Not aimed specifically at Enzil or anyone else, just things I've heard repeatedly in the industry.

#896 Bingowings II: The Revenge

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

http://www.maxon.net...release-14.html
http://www.cineversi...n_cinema_4d_r14

Hooplah! Cinema R14 is out in September and a couple of people from Maxon were going through a live presentation last night. The only thing I really wanted was a new snapping system - the current one only makes sense if you are incredibly drunk. And... suddenly my prayers have been answered - snaps have been completely rewritten and now seem to actually work. Also, a tool called Camera Calibration which I had no idea about but is exactly the kind of thing I would use the absolute fuck out of.

One of the hardest things in my line of work is taking an existing photograph and trying to match new geometry to the image in 3D space. Most of the time it was a complete fudge with at least one part of the building having its arse hanging out. Then I read about a great method of actually recreating the camera used to take the photo - matching the aperture/sensor size, focus depth and image size from the EXIF data. Of course, this doesn't solve the angle/location problem but it cuts out a lot of the parts which give you the most problems.

Camera Calibration does away with all that. All you do now, as before, is make a background with the image you want then use the CC tool to draw various grids along the perspective of an object in the photo. This alters the camera properties to match the one used to take the image. No more checking the data of a photo to see what make of camera and focus was used then going onto DPReview to find the sensor size, all that useless pish. Then, when I paste in new geometry, the perspective and scale are already matched, it is just the case of moving it until it fits correctly.

For once I am genuinely excited about a new version of software. Especially when it will undoubtedly make my work a lot easier. I guess when I go back to work, the first thing i'll be doing is sorting out the upgrade.

#897 Bingowings II: The Revenge

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

The demo for R14 is out and it gives you a chance to work with the four flavours of Cinema - each one has a slightly different toolset depending on what your needs are.

http://c4d.visibli.com/share/Tr83m9

Visualise is the one which has the Camera Calibration and only after a couple of minutes sorting out what does what, a few clicks later and I had an almost perfect matching perspective - with R13 that would have taken me the best part of 30 minutes to sort out and even then it would still be flawed. Truly excellent. Next up is the snaps...

#898 Varnsen

Varnsen
  • Members
  • 1282 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

So Bingo, been using Vray for a month now. It's pretty sexy. Have been going through FXphd's vray 101 and it seems like a pretty powerful and intuitive renderer. A friend and I are planning a vfx test with it and when we have something done, will post it here.

Looks like the kind of easy to use renderer for small power users I've come across. I particularly like using Vray RT in Maya at the moment, it's hugely powerful and fast.

#899 Bingowings II: The Revenge

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

Yeah, it's one of the most enjoyable programs I have used in all my time fucking about with pictures in a vaguely professional manner. The main thing I love is the speed which is very important in my work, the ability the churn out test render after test render in minutes is wonderful. Someone needs a white volume view with correct lighting? In ten minutes i'll have a sharp looking image. It has a lot of depth which I will hardly ever use, such as the SubSurfaceScattering and the almost infinite GI/DMC options (apart from fixing noise problems) but for what I need it for it is nigh on perfect and the hookup with C4D is a delight to use.

I look forward to seeing what kind of work you produce with it.

#900 Varnsen

Varnsen
  • Members
  • 1282 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

Yeah will most likely be a test to put a photorealistic household object into a bit of DSLR footage. Wanna create a full linear colour space workflow through shooting the footage, doing the textures, look dev, lighting/rendering and finally the compositing.

Might do something a little bit more ambitious once it's clear we can shoot decent HDRs and so forth. I'd actually really like to do something with Houdini instead of Maya as that's probably the best 3d package I've used in terms of being a self contained pipeline.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)