rllmuk photo contest

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#301 minkee

minkee
  • Members
  • 2028 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

I agree in principle - we should either allow both photoshop and hipstamatic or neither. I wonder how much difference it would make to the competition to allow a wider use of photoshop?

On the other hand I think it's important to remember the conversation we had not far up there ^^^ about how people weren't bothering to enter. Allowing iphone and hipstawhatevers etc entries makes it nice and easy for anyone to enter - you can make a photo you feel proud of without having to own a fancy slr. If you don't like their image because of it, don't vote for it.

I think the most important thing is to keep the competition as open and encouraging for entries as possible.

#302 andy_s

andy_s

Rllmuk Committee Member

• Supporters
  • 16598 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

I don't think it help's people think about the photo that they're taking.

I am not sure I agree with this. I use Hipstamatic quite a bit and generally consider the post processing effect I want to apply before taking the picture. I do agree that it is unfair to ban heavy manual post processing and allow heavy automatic post processing though. My thoughts at the moment are to remove the no Photoshop part of the rule.

#303 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5835 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

could put a vote up

#304 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 63587 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

I'm fine one way or another, but if people are allowed to use Hipstamatic, I want to be able to use Silver Efex Pro and create those lovely 19th century looking glass-prints.

#305 kitten

kitten
  • Members
  • 4396 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

I guess it comes down to whether Hipstamatic and similar effects are seen as "excessive digital manipulation" or "cropping, and adjusting levels, contrast, saturation etc", and at what point the line is crossed. I don't personally consider using such apps as being the same as editing in the sky from a completely different photo, which is one of the stated no-nos and is (to me) obviously not acceptable in a photography competition.

Is it okay if the person considered Hipstamatic the best tool to achieve the effect they wanted, but not okay if they just scrolled through the settings until they found a filter that might suit the theme? Is it okay or not okay if someone uses the same kind of processing but applied 'by hand' and without a distinctive border effect to mark it out as an iPhone entry? :wacko:

Overall I lean towards letting people take and enter whatever pictures they think are suitable, but either way it might be a good call to reword the rule and make it a bit clearer what is or isn't encouraged/allowed.

#306 sidewaysbob

sidewaysbob
  • Members
  • 12785 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

My feeling was, that becuase the camera was doing the processing, not me, i was presenting a picture that i'd not manipulated.
hence the overblown white and heavy contrast. I was trying to get a "raw" feel to the picture and a "captured moment". On the grounds that most photos would have been altered to black and white and the contrast altered by the person taking the photo, to the "just right" levels. I thought mine would be fine.

I admit the border and scratches are more processing than is allowed in the spirit of the rules and was quite prepared to change the picture if anyone had said "this isn't allowed". I did state that it was a camera app photo when i posted it.

Personally i think these should be allowed, as long as there is then no extra post processing. Becuase you still have to get a good shot regadless of how you're capturing that shot. The FX app works really well when taking black and white shots, but the other effects like the green fade and pin hole don't give me the results i want.

I think there should be more "phone camera" shots because they're more immdiate and less planned. The last few months has seen quite a few of these studio type shots, which are fantastic, don't get me wrong. But leave me a bit cold the water hitting the Lemon must have taken hours and hundreds of shots to ge tthe right one. HAHAuks (i think) shot of the child and the old man on the train is brilliant because it's a sudden "that would make a good picture" type shot (i have no idea if they are related to HAHAuk or not) I find those pictures more interesting becuase you have to be right on the money to get a good picture. You can't reset and try angin with a different level of flash or at a lower angle, it's there and you live or die by your reactions.

Also my HTC takes rubbish pictures if i use the standard camera, it's needs to have an effect added.

So i'm a yes.

#307 McMond

McMond
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

As has already been mentioned, what exactly does Hipstmatic do to an image?

I would have thought it makes the same changes as what can be done in Lightroom, such as adjusting tonal ranges, contrast, sharpness, adding grad filters etc, all things that can dramatically change an image. I can see how someone like myself will feel cheated after I've spent hours playing around with levels in Lightroom, then someone just comes along with a similar effect that took 5 mins with a preset, but in terms of post processing, they are identical. All exceptable changes in my opinion.

I always assumed excessive PP was using Photoshop to do things like taking the best bits from several images, or removing whole objects, excessive airbrushing, applying things like those film strips ;) etc.

Maybe have a rule that when an image is entered, you have to have a short description on the type of changes made, or presets applied? As we are an honest lot, people can then vote based on not just the image (as per sidewaysbobs post, he prefers spontaneous images, rather than planned studio shoots), but the amount of PP applied as well (as some people are against it).

Then just clear up what we mean by excessive PP.

Either that or have two competitions.

#308 Stifler

Stifler
  • Members
  • 1131 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

Maybe have a rule that when an image is entered, you have to have a short description on the type of changes made, or presets applied?
As we are an honest lot, people can then vote based on not just the image (as per sidewaysbobs post, he prefers spontaneous images, rather than planned studio shoots), but the amount of PP applied as well (as some people are against it).

I actually quite like this idea. Personally I've been entering the competition as a way to motivate me to take pictures and to get better at doing it, and I'm constantly blown away by the quality of some of the images posted - I'd love to know the settings used and any tweaks applied to get them. If things went down that route I'd be happy for any photoshopping to be allowed.

#309 Delargey

Delargey
  • Supporters
  • 4273 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

I deffo think that it would be really usefull if people added a brief bit on how they got thier shot.

#310 jeebus

jeebus
  • Members
  • 20867 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Or at least a quick C&P of the exif data.

#311 gerald.d

gerald.d
  • Members
  • 9447 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

I'm not sure I fully understand how anyone is going to make these qualitative judgments.

I've learned a lot (well, compared to what I knew previously - which was diddly squat) about post-processing over the past week or so, and am just starting out on how to best apply my new-found knowledge.

Would this example be considered "excessive"?

http://dubai.postero...after-curves-ad

Original shot is deliberately over-exposed, but without blowing any highlights. The over-exposed image is then corrected in PS in order to create an image that is far closer to the original scene than a "correct" exposure would ever have been.

#312 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35766 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

I might have missed something, but what on earth is going on with mcmond's shot in the photo comp? It looks like a screengrab from a dodgy flash game.

Posted Image

#313 McMond

McMond
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

Lol, I was struggling to get the shot I wanted so I gave up, but then decided to take a photo of my TV at the last minute, not wanting to miss out and all that. :)

Is it a photo tho, focus on the helicopter, long exposure. I even had to make sure i kept the helicopter in the exact same position on screen to keep it moderately sharp. Um... but knowing there was some effort involved probably makes it worse. Hmm!!

#314 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 22997 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

I like it.

#315 jeebus

jeebus
  • Members
  • 20867 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

I must admit - I thought it was a screenshot too!! Quite a good idea.

#316 McMond

McMond
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

That's fair enough.. rather disappointed people thought I would cheat :( hehe. Although in saying that, in this very thread I did advocate putting descriptions next to images to avoid confusion, maybe I should follow my own advice. ^_^

#317 mindgames

mindgames
  • Supporters
  • 2880 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

What's the ruling on HDR images for the photo comps?

#318 andy_s

andy_s

Rllmuk Committee Member

• Supporters
  • 16598 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

What's the ruling on HDR images for the photo comps?

Fine by me.

#319 mindgames

mindgames
  • Supporters
  • 2880 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

Cool, thanks, I'll put something up later.

#320 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5835 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

Thought there was a rule about excessive manipulation? is it time to take that rule out and allow things like HDR and selective colour (as above) and just disallow chop-shops?

#321 mindgames

mindgames
  • Supporters
  • 2880 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

I had a look through the rules thread (and one of the old competitions where a HDRI was allowed) but it wasn't really clear on if a HDRI constitutes excessive manipulation. I have a backup image if people are generally against using them.

#322 andy_s

andy_s

Rllmuk Committee Member

• Supporters
  • 16598 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

HDR doesn't fit with my definition of excessive. Certainly happy for you to enter it this month and we can discuss further here if needed.

#323 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5835 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

id much prefer the manipulation rule modified so the only thing not allows are things like cloning out people, adding objects, sky /background replacement. etc. anyways this is a comp entry thread, i'm sorry.

#324 mindgames

mindgames
  • Supporters
  • 2880 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Thanks chaps.

#325 andy_s

andy_s

Rllmuk Committee Member

• Supporters
  • 16598 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

id much prefer the manipulation rule modified so the only thing not allows are things like cloning out people, adding objects, sky /background replacement. etc. anyways this is a comp entry thread, i'm sorry.

I moved the discussion so it is fine. I agree with you.

#326 King A

King A
  • Members
  • 7749 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

Another one to backup Punchmans 9000 here :)

#327 andy_s

andy_s

Rllmuk Committee Member

• Supporters
  • 16598 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

February will be my last month doing the photo competition so if anyone fancies picking it up, please let me know.

Cheers.
Andy

#328 And

And
  • Members
  • 4210 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for all the effort Andy.
Any reason why? Or just it's general demise?

#329 andy_s

andy_s

Rllmuk Committee Member

• Supporters
  • 16598 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for all the effort Andy.
Any reason why? Or just it's general demise?

Much appreciated.

It is always quiet this time of year and even if only one or two people enter, I think it is worthwhile so it isn't that. I am spending less time on the forum and just thought it was a chance for someone else to pick up the baton if they want.

#330 RiK

RiK
  • Supporters
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

I've been involved on running similar comps on another forum, and by far the single biggest barrier to entry is the rule that 'photos must be taken specifically for the competition.'

Many people have limited time, and in a 3 week timeframe  just might not have the opportunity to take a shot on theme. If you allowed back-catalogue entries (providing they are all their own work) then you'll probably get a lot more participation..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users