Manga

• Please log in to reply
2379 replies to this topic

#1 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3958 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

So lets get a proper manga thread going and get it out of the anime one.

So who's reading what?
What's happening?
What do you think's going to happen next?

Latest chapters of Naruto, Bleach, HunterxHunter and One Piece are finally out now that Shonen Jump has come back from a short holiday. Go grab 'em people!

#2 TheShend

TheShend
  • Members
  • 4977 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

I've been posting mine in the Watchtower thread in OT!

I love the One Piece manga btw :angry: I'm hooked on the void century mystery :)

#3 Couch Corpse

Couch Corpse
  • Members
  • 10159 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:36 AM

http://www.rllmukfor...6&hl=watchtower

#4 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3958 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

http://www.rllmukfor...6&hl=watchtower

View Post

:angry:
Woops

I love the One Piece manga btw :)  I'm hooked on the void century mystery :D

One Piece is awesome, I've been a bit bored of this Robin flashback though, can't wait for the fight between the Straw Hat Pirates and CP9. Its gotta happen as soon as this flashback ends!

#5 Broker

Broker
  • Supporters
  • 13830 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

ive only read the first half of one piece but im loving it, shame they butchered the anime. ditto for hunter x hunter.

im reading naruto on and off, but havent read it for a few weeks, and the same with eyeshield and death note.

the only thing i bother to read every week is bleach, which is fucking wicked. i cant wait to see tousen again next week :D

#6 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31511 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

Berserk, whenever a new volume comes "out there". Nothing comes close.

Though the non-Last Order Battle Angel Alita stuff comes damn close.

#7 Cacophanus

Cacophanus
  • Members
  • 4410 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:18 PM

I've mostly been reading this...

Posted Image

#8 MoFo2

MoFo2
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:31 PM

I just finished 25 books of Great Teacher Onizuka, now I've started on Tuxedo Gin and might continue with Comic Party. Before I've just small collection of the Star Wars-manga, Akira, Eagle, Black&White and Ghost In The Shell.

#9 Wiper

Wiper
  • Committee Member
  • 15356 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:59 AM

Film/TV?

Hmm.

And the last manga I bought was the translated Robot Vol.1 compilation. Well worth the money for the art.

#10 Hackign

Hackign
  • Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:25 AM

Film/TV?
Hmm.

And the last manga I bought was the translated Robot Vol.1 compilation. Well worth the money for the art.

View Post

Indeed, I have the original Vol.1, 2 and 3.

One of the artists is the artist for the manga version of Kamichu, :)

EDIT: Cover of Robot 5 can be seen here http://www.wani.com/

#11 allday247

allday247
  • Members
  • 1579 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:02 AM

One piece is an amazing manga. seriously its definately one of the greats imo.
Spoiler

I'm also catching up and reading Hajime no Ippo. some quality fights. up to volume 63 atm and have the rest on my comp to read during the weekend.
The fight between Takamura and Brian Hawk is defiantely one of my favourite battles.

Bleach is also a quality read :(

#12 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3958 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

I've mostly been readed this...

Posted Image

View Post

That looks really interesting. I've not seen anything about it before. Can you get it in your local comic shop or only through obscure online orders?

#13 Cacophanus

Cacophanus
  • Members
  • 4410 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:41 PM

That looks really interesting. I've not seen anything about it before. Can you get it in your local comic shop or only through obscure online orders?

View Post

Unfortunately the latter, and I think this will be one of the last print runs. The English translation is also peerless.

#14 Hello Goaty ♥

Hello Goaty ♥
  • Supporters
  • 57566 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

Porco Rosso FTW

#15 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31511 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:01 AM

Porco Rosso  FTW

View Post

FUCK GHIBLI.

#16 staplehead

staplehead
  • Members
  • 15842 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:49 PM

FUCK GHIBLI.

View Post

NO, PLEASE DON'T.

#17 MoFo2

MoFo2
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

Any good news-sites for manga-comics?

#18 Zapp$ter

Zapp$ter
  • Members
  • 2224 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

Any good news-sites for manga-comics?

View Post

I use this site --> http://www.manganews.net/

pretty good if I do say so myself.

#19 Judgement

Judgement
  • Members
  • 11751 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

i am reading Initial d, Dragonball and Dragonball Z and Battle Royle

#20 Willei

Willei
  • Members
  • 4772 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

Just about to finish up Azumanga Daioh, waiting for the fourth vol to arrive. I seem to get along with a manga much better than the anime for some reason, not sure why. Got the first vols of Yotsuba and FLCL this morning, I'll check them out this week. And yes, I know they're all girlie choices, so sue me! :wub:

Having just watched the Gunsmith Cats OVAs and being very impressed, I'll probably get one or two of the mangas off Amazon next time I make an order.

#21 Judgement

Judgement
  • Members
  • 11751 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

i am waiting for vol 21 of Initial d to come out now

#22 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31511 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:27 PM

Just about to finish up Azumanga Daioh, waiting for the fourth vol to arrive.  I seem to get along with a manga much better than the anime for some reason, not sure why.  Got the first vols of Yotsuba and FLCL this morning, I'll check them out this week.  And yes, I know they're all girlie choices, so sue me! :wub:

Having just watched the Gunsmith Cats OVAs and being very impressed, I'll probably get one or two of the mangas off Amazon next time I make an order.

View Post

FLCL's far from girly...

#23 Willei

Willei
  • Members
  • 4772 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

True. I actually forgot to mention Chobits also arrived this morning as well, which is pretty girly being done by Clamp and all.

FLCL is just bloody weird. Having English text on the page breaks up the style a bit, especially since they've used a really wimpy and lightweight looking typeface. Can't be helped I guess...

#24 Codger

Codger
  • Members
  • 1695 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:51 AM

Berserk - Gets better and better.

Hunter X Hunter - Used to be up there with Berserk, now really really really shit. I can understand the art going down the toilet since the author is apparently ill, but that doesn't explain the awful insect arc.

Naruto: A bit bored with it now, nothnig interesting seems to happen.

3x3 Eyes - Alongside Berserk, it's another epic masterpiece. It was recently finished (vol39) in Japan, so sooner or late we can read the whole story (english translation is upto around vol26). Can't wait.

Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star - Recently found a group doing it on the web, currently at vol22. Excellent stuff.

Can't be arsed with anything else. Though I DID buy GITS2 manga, but have yet to read.

#25 Polmon

Polmon
  • Supporters
  • 6726 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:02 AM

Codger, you buying the volumes, or reading the scans for Naruto? The latest chapters have started getting pretty interesting now (after all the boring buildup stuff).

I recommend the Hajmie no Ippo manga to everyone that's even remotely interested in shonen anime/manga. It's the daddy.

Oh, and a o/\o for Berserk. Top shit.

#26 Codger

Codger
  • Members
  • 1695 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:40 AM

I'm reading the translated scans. Maybe I'll get the latest chapters and check it out. It's a damn sight quicker than the anime where characters in a fight just stand around looking at each other's eyes for 20 minutes.

I have the whole Hajime no Ippo anime, but the first 5 episodes have never gripped me enough for me to commit to watching all 75 episodes (I get bored or something always comes up to distract me), or to start reading the manga.

Oh and if anyone wants to check out 3x3 Eyes, try www.sazanquest.cjb.net

#27 Hackign

Hackign
  • Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:01 AM

So I read Miyuki by Adachi Mitsuru the other day. The typical story of a boy decided between the people he loves. Except one of the girls is his non-blood related sister. There's a line that must not be crossed! :)

Thankfully you never see them do anything. I did think the sister was the better girl though. :D

#28 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3958 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

Berserk - Gets better and better.

Hunter X Hunter - Used to be up there with Berserk, now really really really shit. I can understand the art going down the toilet since the author is apparently ill, but that doesn't explain the awful insect arc.

Naruto: A bit bored with it now, nothnig interesting seems to happen.

View Post

You're right about HunterxHunter, I still read it but its nowhere near as good as it used to be. This whole insects arc is just weird and so out of place with the rest of the story.

Naruto's just excellent, the downtime between rights is over and we've got Naruto freaking out in high-power mode, two new characters with mysterious pasts and hidden agendas, Sakura's powered up enough to actually be worth something in a fight... and our big bad guys are back as well.

I've really gotta get hold of some Berserk, I saw the anime a few years ago but it sounds like the manga's even better from what you guys are saying.

#29 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31511 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:34 AM

You're right about HunterxHunter, I still read it but its nowhere near as good as it used to be. This whole insects arc is just weird and so out of place with the rest of the story.

Naruto's just excellent, the downtime between rights is over and we've got Naruto freaking out in high-power mode, two new characters with mysterious pasts and hidden agendas, Sakura's powered up enough to actually be worth something in a fight... and our big bad guys are back as well.

I've really gotta get hold of some Berserk, I saw the anime a few years ago but it sounds like the manga's even better from what you guys are saying.

View Post

The anime doesn't tell much of the story, misses out important characters, and is obviously a bit toned down compared to the manga. Heck, the manga's still going, and it's still fantastic. You should see the STATE of Guts these days...

#30 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3958 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:50 PM

The anime doesn't tell much of the story, misses out important characters, and is obviously a bit toned down compared to the manga. Heck, the manga's still going, and it's still fantastic. You should see the STATE of Guts these days...

View Post

OK thats sold it for me, off I go to get some Berserk!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users