Placebo - Meds (new Album Leak)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dreamylittledream

dreamylittledream
  • Members
  • 2455 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:24 AM

Erm well it has and can be found *cough* in the usual places.

Well it excited me as I had no idea that they were this close to a new record. Leak is fairly well in advance as the first single isn't due untill March, so this may not be the final mix.

Features a duet with Michael Stipe, several very catchy upbeat tracks (flyer single 'Because I Want You', title track 'Meds' and a brilliant stuttering electronica tinged track called 'Infra-Red')

Highlights on a first listen are the above and 'Song to Say Goodbye'.

So far I'm thinking its better than 'Sleeping With Ghosts'.

Anyone else heard it yet? I can't be the only former indie-goth here... :angry:

#2 MrPogo

MrPogo
  • Supporters
  • 18084 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:34 AM

I'm listening to it for the first time right now. Pretty good so far.
(The album title is still officially unconfirmed by the way, so 'Meds' may just be on the torrent because it's the first track).

#3 scribble

scribble
  • Members
  • 5697 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

There's a collaboration with VV of The Kills, too.. according to my tracklisting. Seems pretty good from my first listen through.

#4 DiscoStu

DiscoStu
  • Members
  • 12315 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:56 AM

Sleeping With Ghosts was weak so my hopes arent high.

#5 MrPogo

MrPogo
  • Supporters
  • 18084 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:08 AM

There was nothing on here that immediately struck me as a classic, but it was a much stronger album than SWG.

#6 ngchol

ngchol
  • Supporters
  • 4216 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:18 AM

There was nothing on here that immediately struck me as a classic, but it was  a much stronger album than SWG.

View Post

I think they've pretty much had it, haven't they? "One Of A Kind" is a fantastic track, really special, but the electronic bolt-ons on some tracks just make them sound like late-period Garbage (a bad thing).

#7 ann coulter

ann coulter
  • Members
  • 3516 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:38 PM

It's a relief, to be honest, to finally be able to write them off once and for all. I used to obsess over these sorts of indie-alternative-rock bands. Placebo particularly. I still haven't worked out whether their early stuff was genuinely good, or if I was just a naive tasteless depresso teenager. Bit of both, I guess. Ever since Black Market Music, it's been downhill for Placebo. The guitars are dull. The songs go nowhere. The lyrics are fucking atrocious - nowadays Molko only seems capable of stringing together a few done-to-death cliches, doused in a predictable soup of gay emo livejournal angst. It's just not real music, is it? It's nothing that hasn't been recorded before. It sounds like they've just churned out something that their fanbase will probably like, something that will sell a few hundred thousand copies, maybe, so Molko can afford to pay the mortgage on his flat with his new girlfriend and newborn baby or whatever. It doesn't excite me at all. There's so much more exciting music out there. Nobody should waste their time on this dismal done-before halfhearted rubbish.

#8 DiscoStu

DiscoStu
  • Members
  • 12315 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:47 PM

BMM was a pretty good album though.

#9 Eighthours

Eighthours
  • Members
  • 15116 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:30 AM

BMM was a pretty good album though.

View Post

Here we go again.....

No Stu, "Without You I'm Nothing" was the high watermark of Placebo's career, without a shadow of a doubt.

Black Market Music was shit compared with that. The less said about Ghosts, the better.

#10 johnj

johnj
  • Members
  • 5565 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

oh come on. the rapper on blackmarket music was amazing.

#11 Guitar Heroine

Guitar Heroine
  • Members
  • 30833 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:49 PM

Sleeping with ghosts for cracking for me, so I hope this is good too. I think I should take a look for it ;)

#12 DiscoStu

DiscoStu
  • Members
  • 12315 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

Here we go again.....

No Stu, "Without You I'm Nothing" was the high watermark of Placebo's career, without a shadow of a doubt.

Black Market Music was shit compared with that. The less said about Ghosts, the better.

View Post

I never said BMM was the best. It's just good that's all.

I really like the debut too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users