• Please log in to reply
645 replies to this topic

#481 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27778 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

http://www.bloody-di....com/news/16659

After loads of loads of talk, H20 Motion Pictures has finally received financing for their forthcoming remake of The Gate, which will be shot in 3-D by actor-turned-director Alex Winter (who you might know from the Bill and Ted movies and Lost Boys. You can read the details inside. No word on any casting yet.

Frankfurt’s HessenInvestFilm and Stuttgart-based MFG Baden-Württemberg have allocated $1.9m (€1.35m) to Germany’s first 3D live action film, Alex Winter’s The Gate.

The UK-born actor-director’s remake of the 1987 horror film will begin production at the MMC Studios in Cologne in the late summer. The film has also received $1.2m (€900,000) from Düsseldorf’s Filmstiftung NRW.

The original, which starred Stephen Dorff, followed three young children who accidentally release a horde of nasty, pint-sized demons from a hole in a suburban backyard. What follows is a classic battle between good and evil as the three kids struggle to overcome a nightmarish hell that is literally taking over the Earth.

It is the second collaboration between the studios’ production arm MMC Independent and Andras Hamori’s H20 Motion Pictures after they co-produced Stephen Frears’ Cheri last year.

Visual effects for The Gate will be handled by the Frankfurt and Stuttgart studios of Pixomondo. Its recent credits include Niki Muellerschoen’s The Red Baron, Roland Emmerich’s 2012 and James McTeigue’s Ninja Assassin.

In addition, HessenInvestFilm awarded $384,523 (€250,000) for UK writer-director Mark Cairns’ mystery thriller Cold Storage, which is being planned as a 3D feature by Frankfurt’s MagnaManaProduction.

#482 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19281 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

The one good thing about this is that it might result in the original film finally getting an R2 DVD release and a bigger audience.

#483 David Kenny

David Kenny
  • Supporters
  • 2617 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:50 AM

Actually the fact that Alex Winter is involved gives me some reason for optimism, his 'Freaked' is one of my guilty pleasures.

#484 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:38 PM

A remake to American werewolf in London is a fucking travesty and I don't mind saying so. I watched the orginal on tv last night and the transformation effects are still spot on. Sure, the end result might look like bungle the bear after a night on the lash, but the whole film is utter magic. A remake is not bloody needed! Are Hollywood really that out of ideas???

AWiL has a special place in my heart due to being the only film that has truly terrified me as a young child. I was stopping at my cousins house and, when everyone else was asleep, I snuck this on. I couldn't have beeN more than 7 or 8 at the time and I basically got to the bit where David wakes up in hospital and sees jack and turned it off in fright. Not at jack but at the bit on the moors. It's the only film ever to have scared me and created my morbid fascination with werewolves which I still have to this day. I was 18 before I braved watching this film again...

#485 Padlocked

Padlocked
  • Members
  • 4703 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

It's already been remade, but they set it in Paris and messed it all up.

#486 Wiper

Wiper
  • Committee Member
  • 14963 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

It's to be renamed Let Me In, which is apparently a more faithful translation of John Ajvide Lindqvist's original title than the moniker of this year's Swedish adaptation, and is scheduled for release in the autumn of next year.

http://www.empireonl...y.asp?NID=25185

Nice to see them doing their research (the claimants and Empire) - the original Swedish title of the book and film is based on the Morrissey track "Let The Right One Slip In". Of which "Let Me In" is not, I would hazard, a more faithful translation. Bodes well, either way.

#487 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27778 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:13 AM

Last month on the /Filmcast, Eric Vespe, better known as Quint from Ain’t It Cool News, mentioned that he is surprised that Hollywood hasn’t tried to remake Brewster’s Millions yet — especially since it’s such a perfect high concept comedy premise, the kind Hollywood loves. Either someone in Hollywood was listening (doubtful, but you never know) or Quint was able to accurately predict what Hollywood would do next, because Warner Bros has hired a screenwriting team to write a new take on the story.

Michael Diliberti and Matthew Sullivan have been hired to adapt a new film based on the 1902 George Barr novel, which has gone on to be adapted for stage and screen almost a dozen times. The 1985 comedy directed by Walter Hill and starring Richard Pryor and John Candy was one of my favorite movies to watch as a kid. It’s definitely not a great film, but its a lot of fun. The story followed a poor minor league baseball player who inherits $300 million from an unknown rich relative. But only under the stipulation that he waste $30 million in 30 days, with no assets to show for it, without revealing to anyone, including his closest friends, the stipulations of the $300 deal. The original novel, which involved a slightly different storyline, with a lot smaller money figures, is available for free on Google Books.

The screenwriting team doesn’t have any prior produced writing credits, but garnered some good buzz with a spec called Comic-Con. The buddy comedy tells the story of two friends who devise a plan and execute a heist at Comic-Con in order to save their beloved neighborhood comic shop from the danger of an evil corporate takeover.

#488 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27778 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:19 AM

Two for you today - One is already essentially a remake/re imagining.

Michael Davis to Direct Outland Remake
Source:Variety

Warner Bros. and Hollywood Gang Productions have hired Shoot 'Em Up helmer Michael Davis to direct Outland, a remake of the 1981 Sean Connery sci-fi film.

The drama revolves around a police marshal stationed at a remote mining colony on Jupiter's moon Io, where he uncovers a murderous conspiracy threatening the entire Outland with collapse.

Variety says Chad St. John will write the script.

Lionsgate Wants More Dirty Dancing
Source:Production Weekly

Lionsgate is developing a remake of the 1987 classic Dirty Dancing from a new script by Julia Dahl (Uptown Girl), says Production Weekly.

The original, released in theaters by Vestron, starred Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey. It was made for just $6 million but went on to earn a massive $213.95 million worldwide.

A follow-up, titled Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, was distributed by Lionsgate in 2004. Produced for $25 million, the movie earned just $27.7 million worldwide.

#489 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27778 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:07 AM

Rob Zombie is Remaking The Blob
Source:Variety
August 28, 2009

Rob Zombie, whose Halloween II opens today, will write, direct and produce a remake of the 1958 horror classic The Blob, which starred Steve McQueen.

In the original, an object from space crashes into a field, containing a red blob-like substance that absorbs the humans it contacts and grows exponentially.

"My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing -- that's the first thing I want to change," Zombie told the trade. "That gigantic Jello-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now."

Zombie will produce with Genre Co.'s Richard Saperstein and Brian Witten; original "Blob" producer Jack H. Harris; and Judith Parker Harris of Worldwide Entertainment Corp. and Andy Gould.

They are developing the project as an R-rated film that will cost around $30 million to make.

Production will begin next spring.

#490 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11362 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:41 AM

Another remake of The Blob?

#491 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:53 AM

oh my god. this is actually the most depressing thread ive ever read. A fucking COMMANDO remake?? Why not just paint some bigger tits on the fucking mona lisa while youre at it?? American werewolf in london remake? GTFO! Its a stone cold classic that does not need or want a remake. surely the point of remakes is that you get a film that is good but has flaws and you iron out the flaws and make a better movie. These films are all perfect. They dont need remakes. Get some fucking ideas of your own, hollywood :mellow:

#492 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19281 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

Another remake of The Blob?

It's not going to be a patch on the first remake.

#493 Gambit

Gambit
  • Members
  • 7377 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

"My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing -- that's the first thing I want to change,"

Then why bother calling it The Blob?!?

A remake is bad enough, the fact it's being directed by someone who has never made a good movie before makes this news even worse.

#494 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:19 AM

Not really a remake, but the news really isn't worth its own thread...

Fantastic Four Reboot Confirmed - Fox hires Batman & Robin scribe to oversee redo. :D :( :wub:

20th Century Fox has confirmed rumors from earlier this year that it will reboot its Fantastic Four franchise by announcing the hiring of Oscar-winning screenwriter (and, ahem, fanboy favorite) Akiva Goldsman to oversee the project. Before he became a producer on Jonah Hex, won an Oscar for scripting A Beautiful Mind, and made a bundle adapting Dan Brown's Robert Langdon novels into movies, Goldsman wrote the Joel Schumacher nipplefests Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

Variety reports that Fox has also set Heroes and Green Lantern scribe Michael Green to pen the screenplay. The trade adds that since the reboot deals are just getting under way, it's too early to tell if any cast members from the first two films -- Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis, Chris Evans and Julian McMahon -- will reprise their respective roles for the reboot. This contradicts reports from last March that claimed Fox wanted to completely retool and recast the franchise and replace director Tim Story.

The FF reboot news comes less than a day after it was announced that the Walt Disney Company had made a deal to acquire Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion. Word of the deal instantly spurred speculation that Marvel (and, hence, Disney) would inevitably reclaim those properties of theirs whose screen rights were held by other studios.

But, as Variety points out, "Fox controls Fantastic Four in perpetuity -- as long as it continues making the films. Fox has the same arrangement on Marvel Comics properties X-Men, Daredevil and Silver Surfer. Marvel is a producer and financial participant through a licensing agreement."

http://uk.movies.ign.../1020293p1.html

#495 3dfan

3dfan
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

Remake of Frankenstein would be interesting and as for already made and watched by me remakes I liked The Last House On Left

#496 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27778 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:25 AM

From /film

Now this was a remake I didn’t see coming. THR’s Heat Vision blog is reporting that George Romero’s zombie classic, Night of the Living Dead, is going to be remade into a 3D CGI film by first-time director Zebediah de Soto. The project, titled Night of the Living Dead: Origins, will have no involvement from Romero (though that may not be a bad thing these days). De Soto mentioned that he wants to focus on the character’s backstories, and aim for it to look like an “American-styled anime”. Origins is being produced by Simon West (Con Air, Tomb Raider)—which probably isn’t the most heartening bit of news.

Origins will join the company of a multitude of revisions/reimaginings/remakes of Night of the Living Dead. The original film has been in the public domain for some time now, making it a really cheap target for these sorts of projects. Most recently there was the horrendous Night of the Living Dead 3D, and there’s also an upcoming collaborative remake, Night of the Living Dead Reanimated.

De Soto and his partner Gus Malliarodaki founded New Golden Digital, a digital effects company. Origins will be developed using an intriguing bit of tech they created:

The duo created and designed a real-time effects system, known as ‘The Beast’, which allows filmmakers the ability to direct CG performances the same way they would direct real live actors. The aim of the process is to make tennis balls on a stick representing real people or monsters a thing of the past by allowing actors interact with CG elements as if they are tangible.

I’m honestly more interested in how their technology holds up than in this remake. It could end up being a good low-budget solution that ends up giving results similar to what James Cameron is attempting to do with Avatar. If anything, the Night of the Living Dead property is a cheap way for De Soto to test his technology without losing too much if the project ends up being a dud.

#497 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27778 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:47 AM

Cronenberg to Remake.....The Fly?!

http://www.slashfilm...vid-cronenberg/

Predictable news this evening with a double-take twist. David Cronenberg is said to be developing a remake of his 1986 sci-fi horror classic The Fly as a potential vehicle for him to write and direct. Risky Business reports that technological leaps are the main factor in Cronenberg’s decision to remake the material, which is a common excuse—what, no 3D catch?—but in this case, justifiable. Cronenberg’s The Fly was itself a heightened and gory creature feature remake of the campy 1958 film of the same name starring Vincent Price. Last year, he was involved in an opera production of the film for the stage with composer Howard Shore. Common sense says the opera was the decision’s spark.

However, in the past Cronenberg has been rather vocal as a detractor to any proposed remake by 20th Century Fox, where the project remains parked and started buzzing on-and-off a few years ago. There’s yet no word on when the remake would begin filming. Cronenberg remains set to direct The Matarese Circle with Denzel Washington and Tom Cruise, based on his scripted adaptation of the global-conspiracy action novel by Robert Ludlum. In fact, back in April he was quoted as saying the following…

I think when you get too comfortable, you need to scare yourself by trying something you’ve never done before. It comes from the same place as wanting to direct an opera, or write a novel, or curate an Andy Warhol art exhibit.

The budget for Circle would certainly be Cronenberg’s largest and undoubtedly make for his biggest mainstream effort; and based on early word his Fly remake would be similarly epic in scope. The guy has been in the Canadian trenches creating perverse classics like Dead Ringers, Scanners, and Videodrome for years, so I don’t have a problem with this creative path. Also of note: the latter two films mentioned in the previous sentence are both up for remakes, with Universal having announced a Videodrome reboot (ack!) in April as well.

#498 SpaceJump

SpaceJump
  • Members
  • 1597 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:50 AM

Cronenberg to Remake.....The Fly?!

http://www.slashfilm...vid-cronenberg/

Just read about this, interesting!

#499 Spartan

Spartan
  • Members
  • 3322 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

A remake of a superior remake by the superior remakes Director?

Gadzooks! It may ACTUALLY work!

#500 Rayn

Rayn
  • Members
  • 13796 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

Remakes...I don't like them :blink:

#501 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 51164 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

I'm not sure there's much point in revisiting The Fly. It's hard to imagine Cronenberg outdoing himself. That Kafkaesque script which was floating around the best part of a decade ago sounded much more promising.

#502 max renn

max renn
  • Members
  • 3277 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

Scanners AND Videodrome remakes?!!
I am cry.

#503 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19281 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

"technological leaps" - The Fly still looks great now so I don't really see why he'd feel the need to remake it just because of the effects.

#504 Staplehead!

Staplehead!
  • Members
  • 15601 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

Perhaps he was disappointed that the effects in his prior version didn't look enough like genitals.

#505 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27778 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

As well as the Scream 4 news the Weinstein's also announced they'd be moving forward with their Short Circuit remake. (and Spy Kids 4 but that's not remake news)

#506 rumblecat

rumblecat
  • Supporters
  • 2957 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

Remakes...I don't like them :D

I dunno, some of my favourite films are remakes- The Thing, Fistful of Dollars, the Kaufman version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (although the Abel Ferrara one's a hoot as well), Magnificent Seven etc... Although I've never quite understood remaking a good film, as it would seem to be easier to screw up. Much better to take a vaguely shitty film and make it good. (I suppose Short Circuit fits that bill).

#507 moora

moora
  • Members
  • 2204 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

The most depressing thing about this thread is that it shows just how devoid of talent some Hollywood producers are. They must just be trying to snap up the rights to anything from the 80s...

However, it's heartening to read that the majority of the remakes are never made (the first post has a remake of the Wild Bunch and Predator to be done.. thankfully they've never appeared. Yet). It's also very heartening to know that the majority of these remakes take up about 2 weeks of promotion/cinema play before disappearing down the toilet forever (see the current Fame remake). Or they end up straight to DVD.

However, a remake of Short Circuit (which was, essentially, a rip off of bloody ET- but with a robot) is a pretty stupid idea. Considering that they will probably replace Jonny 5 with a CGI robot (and therefore removing the credibility) will make it worse. Unless the Guttenberg is brought back.

In fact, Steve Guttenberg's whole 80s career is a treasure trove of remake possibilities- Police Academy, Cocoon, 3 Men and A Baby (yeah, it was a remake. And from 1990).

Now.. the only remake I'm looking forward to is Stallone's of "Death Wish".....

#508 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27778 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:28 AM

I'm surprised they've not gone forward with a Police Academy reboot. The wealth of teen-mid 20s talent they could get, it would be lol-worthy! Hell, get the American Pie cast and just stick them in Police Academy. Get Hightower and Jones as cameos. Job done.

#509 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27778 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:11 AM

http://www.slashfilm...l-in-the-works/

No, no, no NO NO NO NOOOOOOOO. I start overacting like Shia LaBeouf when I learn news about Hollywood remaking or sequelizing movies from my childhood. I’m not an anti-sequel person, and in that area, I’m a lot more optimistic than most film fanatics. With the advances in technology and special effects, I understand the want to update some of the big sci-fi and effects heavy classics (not that I agree, but I at least understand…)

But some movies just need to be left alone: particularly dramas and comedies. The Karate Kid doesn’t need a remake starring Will Smith’s son and Jackie Chan, and Nation Lampoon’s Vacation doesn’t need another crappy sequel/spin-off. New Line/Warner Bros has signed Wedding Crashers and Fred Claus director David Dobkin to produce and possibly direct a new film in the Vacation series.

New Line has already developed a storyline, which they are now meeting with screenwriters to pen the script. The story follows Rusty Griswold, the son of Clark Griswold (played by Chevy Chase in the original films), who is now a father in his own right and takes his family on a, you guessed it, road trip vacation. Heatvision reports that New Line hopes to make a movie that skews more towards Planes Trains and Automobiles or Little Miss Sunshine than RV or Are We There Yet? Thank God…

And the movie will not be a remake, but a sequel/spin-off/reboot. The first trip would be acknowledged and the story will focus on a new adventure. The plan is to write in parts, although it hasn’t been established if it would be a cameo or something much larger, for Chase and Beverly D’Angelo to return as grandparents. Of course, no deals are in place.

It is unlikely that any of the original Griswold child actors will return for the new film, since Rusty and Audrey have been played by a different set of actors in each film. This fact is actually made into a joke in Vegas Vacation when Clark tells his children that he “hardly recognizes” them anymore.

It’s hard to complain about another sequel since this franchise has already been milked to death. It’s not like this film could ever hurt the series’ legacy, at least not any more than Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie’s Island Adventure (which is one of the worst films I’ve ever seen… ever). Christmas Vacation is one of the few third films in a movie series that ended up surpassing the sequel, European Vacation, by leaps and bounds. The 1997 film Vegas Vacation wasn’t horrible, but also wasn’t on the same level as either Vacation or Christmas Vacation.

Is this such a bad idea? Would it be fun to return to Walley World with a new generation of Griswolds?

#510 Harmunt

Harmunt
  • Members
  • 5139 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

I honestly despair at the amount of truly classic movies getting the remake/reboot as of late. The horror genre in particular.

My main concern always lies in the fact that the new audiences they are so obviously intended for will forget or never even see the original... My nephew watches remakes and when I show him the original he mocks them for their 'oldness' and 'rubbish special effects' :( I also find this with US remakes of Japanese horror movies...

I'm telling you now, if they every even threaten to remake Back To The Future... :) :P ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users