Rllmuk Ventrillo Server

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5834 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:15 PM

AS OF THURSDAY 10th OF APRIL. SONIC.TYPEFRAG WILL CHANGE TO BE HYDROGEN.TYPEFRAG
This emergency move has had to come about, due to many users experiencing really bad performance over the past couple of weeks. This is due to our server being labled "very high" population.

<a href="http://www.ventrilo.com/" target="_blank">http://www.ventrilo.com/</a>

there is now a Mac Client in Beta for this, it's been used by a few people I believe and seems to work nicely.

Just to make it clearer - the set-up when you open the client for the first time is as follows:

User Name

Name - bung in anything you want but it helps to use a WoW character name or rllmuk forum name

Server

Name - anything you want...I just called it rllmuk
Host - hydrogen.typefrag.com
Port - 12364
Password - eagles (thought I may as well make it public because it's easier and because I can kick/ban/change password at will ;) )

We have a 75 license server so plenty of space

#2 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5834 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:19 PM

http://www.ventrilo.com/ download the latest client

when running, in the username box, press the -> to the right of the list to add your usernames the details for this will be like so....

MUK or ABA - YOURCHARACTERNAME

so mine is Muk - Dreamfall . thats space dash space

to enter server details ( that you'll get in a PM ) you press the -> on the server box.

thanks.

#3 Mr Ben

Mr Ben
  • Supporters
  • 11205 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:53 PM

Installed, loaded and ready to roll ;)

#4 Terria

Terria
  • Members
  • 2442 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

Installing it now, even though I probably wont speak. :angry:

#5 kitten

kitten
  • Members
  • 4396 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

Installing it now, even though I can't speak (yet).

#6 Digimortal

Digimortal
  • Members
  • 1804 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 02:39 AM

Ok I'm gonna *try* it out, but I bet its gonna be freaky listening to you guys and I may give up, hehe.

We'll see tomorrow when it gets tested.

#7 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5834 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 02:43 AM

its never freaky.

#8 Teeohbee.

Teeohbee.
  • Members
  • 1663 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:12 AM

Sounds like a good idea (though talking over the internet still scares me, wheres the voice coming from!?!) although of course you are isolating the many Mac users out there...

What?

I'M the only mac user? Ah ok then, continue :angry:

#9 PaulM

PaulM
  • Supporters
  • 1843 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:47 AM

Sounds like a good idea (though talking over the internet still scares me, wheres the voice coming from!?!) although of course you are isolating the many Mac users out there...

What?

I'M the only mac user? Ah ok then, continue :angry:

View Post

There appears to be a Mac client on the download page, I'm going to give it a go installing it on my powerbook :(

edit: Ignore me, that was the server! Apparently there's a client in development though, which is nice :D

#10 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:39 AM

This internet is witchcraft!! Witchcraft I tells thee!!!!

#11 Iza

Iza
  • Members
  • 2344 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:12 AM

This internet is witchcraft!! Witchcraft I tells thee!!!!

View Post

shhhhhhhh

Calm now honey.
I promise to burn myself at the stake later.

x

Edit: and get thee to ventrilo and insult me live and uncut!

#12 sith

sith
  • Members
  • 17386 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:55 PM

Ill join later

good job guys

#13 Iza

Iza
  • Members
  • 2344 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

How do we get this pinned? We really should put the server details in the thread and pin it up before it gets swallowed.

P
x

#14 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

PM a mod. Alan or Toonfool should oblige. And I'm not a good talker over headsets. You'll find out how northern and uncouth I am :unsure:

#15 Mr Ben

Mr Ben
  • Supporters
  • 11205 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:37 PM

PM a mod. Alan or Toonfool should oblige. And I'm not a good talker over headsets. You'll find out how northern and uncouth I am :unsure:

View Post

Like everyone else then. You'll fit right in.

#16 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5834 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:38 PM

im northern and probably uncouth.

#17 therealjohnpeat

therealjohnpeat
  • Members
  • 16719 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:09 PM

I'll probably give in on voice chat and try this later on...

Problem is I only have a crappy 'desk mic' on top of my monitor - which is about 8 years old - so I suspect it's going to sound terrible...

Thing is, I often play WoW with headphones on anyway and I'm too fond of my Sennheiser 'Concorde' headphones too much to swap them in for some crappy Labtec jobbie...

I also dont fancy one of those single-ear thingies UNDER headphones - erm

Any ideas?

I guess a single-ear headset when I'm playing with speakers and the desk mic when I'm playing with headphones?

#18 sith

sith
  • Members
  • 17386 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:26 PM

server details please?

#19 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:46 PM

Northeners FTW!! Well, I prolly wont be about tonight as it's Surreal FM Live night and I've just aquired Burnout Revenge :D

#20 kitten

kitten
  • Members
  • 4396 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 05:17 PM

Problem is I only have a crappy 'desk mic' on top of my monitor - which is about 8 years old - so I suspect it's going to sound terrible...

Thing is, I often play WoW with headphones on anyway and I'm too fond of my Sennheiser 'Concorde' headphones too much to swap them in for some crappy Labtec jobbie...

Any ideas?

I guess a single-ear headset when I'm playing with speakers and the desk mic when I'm playing with headphones?

View Post

I've been playing with Sennheiser headphones recently too!

Went for this in the end: http://www.plantroni...0109/prod440014

Probably overkill but it's nice and lightweight and not one of those oversized 'balance this above your ears for six hours' designs.

#21 Iza

Iza
  • Members
  • 2344 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:15 PM

Any ideas?

View Post

\o/

Just output the voice to headphones and use the desk mic. Should be fine. Sound quality might not be great but worth a try.
There's settings in Ventrilo to determine where the input /output goes and they seem to overide PC settings with no problems.

Server (Host) = defend.typefrag.com
Port = 12364
erm....username = you don't have one yet but I can set one up quickly. I only set up the people that were already on Skype.

I'll set you up as ABA - Kerrang for now? Will PM the password.

x

#22 unspec

unspec
  • Members
  • 7670 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

What?

I'M the only mac user? Ah ok then, continue :D

View Post

No, they hate me too.

And I hate them back, the bastards.

#23 Mr Ben

Mr Ben
  • Supporters
  • 11205 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:32 AM

Random problems a go-go. Having it set up so that you click a button to talk, yet I can talk anytime, and then setting a button to talk and no-one can hear me :ph34r:

Gave up in the end. Need to look at it more I guess. Need to find the volume control too, as I managed to figure out how to turn the annoying voiceover guys volume down but none of the rest of you noisy bastards :wacko:

#24 Nicky

Nicky
  • Members
  • 5834 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:22 AM

Posted Image

#25 Mr Ben

Mr Ben
  • Supporters
  • 11205 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:28 AM

Done all that, still doesnt work. Can hear you fine, but for some screwy reason, press to talk will not work, despite working yesterday without a key press :ph34r:

Edit: Aha! I think its sorted, unless it goes wacko again overnight. Ten times better than Skype, performance wise as well.

#26 therealjohnpeat

therealjohnpeat
  • Members
  • 16719 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:06 PM

I installed this last night - easy as pie to setup, bit more faffy to make it work properly tho.

Desk mic seems to work OK-ish, but for some reason I can't make it recognise the middle/side buttons on my mouse for push-to-talk :(

CAPS LOCKS isn't a bad choice meanwhile - if I could only stop it actually locking CAPS :D

I'd definately use this for grouping/instances etc. - not sure I'd use it for general chat tho - easily distracts you from the important 'levelling process' :)

p.s. Absolutely no lag issue - indeed I got the best latency I've seen in WoW for EONS when I was using it (99ms - usually 120-180ish)

#27 pretentious_helvetica

pretentious_helvetica
  • Members
  • 8564 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:17 PM

RSHIFT was a good suggestion for a keypress from Nicky. I was just a little annoyed to hear him shout "Bears!" over the top of that lovely opening cutscene. Grrr.

#28 kitten

kitten
  • Members
  • 4396 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:19 PM

You sure it wasn't "Beers!" ? :D

#29 Poet

Poet
  • Moderators
  • 18592 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

Like everyone else then. You'll fit right in.

View Post

Ha! No.

I need to sort out my mic, then I'll get on this.

#30 Mr Ben

Mr Ben
  • Supporters
  • 11205 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:25 PM

Ha! No.
I need to sort out my mic, then I'll get on this.

View Post

You saying we're not all uncouth, or just yourself?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users